Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manners!

Options
  • 07-03-2010 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I was in tesco today and I was amazed at the behaviour of people, there was this lady and she was buying food and she used the express checkout where u put it through and then put ur money in. Well anyway to get the point she was using up all of her coppers, I thought it was a very smart thing to do due to the lack of money in the country. However another woman was there behind her and she was getting impatient and giving dirty looks to her. It was shocking I mean its the recession she was prob using her last bit of money that she had! Some people just need to get a life.

Do people not care anymore or have manners, its not a big deal! Hold the door open for the old people, let them have a seat on the bus. Listen to the youth and hear what they have to say!

Its not just the old and the young its both! There as bad as each other sometimes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭JohnC.

To be fair, you said it is an express checkout. That would imply speedy use, not waiting around for someone to stuff it with coppers. While I myself do find it handy for getting rid of coppers, I'd never do so unless there are other ones free. I'd consider that to be better manners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Kahless wrote: »
    To be fair, you said it is an express checkout. That would imply speedy use, not waiting around for someone to stuff it with coppers. While I myself do find it handy for getting rid of coppers, I'd never do so unless there are other ones free. I'd consider that to be better manners.

Exactly. There is nothing express about someone paying for their shopping with coppers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Exactly. There is nothing express about someone paying for their shopping with coppers.

or with a Goddamn credit card!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I thought they were self service check outs not express check outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Roanmore wrote: »
    I thought they were self service check outs not express check outs.

just going to say the same... self service... is what i thought they where...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm afraid the lads are right,

It's self service checkout. Express checkout is like 10 items or less!

Height out rudeness from the dog. Funnily I was in tesco lisduggan (the place is some kip btw) and during the busy time some old one left her trolly and went off for a good 5 min. Now there was none next so I went in next with my two bottles of wine and cheese and she came and proceeded to stare mrs ziedth out of it.

I think it's people in general though are loosing their way! Look at the guys robbing that charity not to long ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

It's everyone for themselves.... sadly.....:(

(well....not everyone thank god)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭daisy1984

Yes guys I was wrong its a self service checkout not an express so you can put all you coppers in if you want! lol Its the recession people are poor!!

And sombody robbed a charity what kind of gob****es are out there!!

Well Im proud to say that I am a good samaritian, I hold the door open and do charity work and I say please and thank you and hello and smile all the time even if im in bad form! Its seeing the bright side of things! I even go as far as blowing kisses at people while driving even though I could be doing the wrong thing! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

or with a Goddamn credit card!!

Not sure about credit cards but using a debit card is actually faster than using cash....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Would be great if Tesco had the Superscan (self scan) express checkouts, where you scan the items as you buy and then you go up to pay.

Fastest way of shopping tbh :)

• Advertisement

It the risk of sounding snobbish (I shop in aldi so I'm really not) it's a different kind of customer who shops in Superquinn (only place that does the trolly self scan?) and tesco.

I agree though, it saves allot of time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ziedth. wrote: »
    It the risk of sounding snobbish (I shop in aldi so I'm really not) it's a different kind of customer who shops in Superquinn (only place that does the trolly self scan?) and tesco.

I agree though, it saves allot of time.

In fairness I do a mix of Superquinn, Lidl and local shops (butchers etc), I've found after trial and error that this works out the best value as Superquinn often have great offers.

As for the type of shopper, I think to a degree you get a different type of shopper in Superquinn when compared to Tesco's

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Who has the best/worst customer service in waterford! In supermarkets?

For me the best in superquinn.
    worst is supervalue at the hyper.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

worst is supervalue at the hyper.

+1 to that. It defies belief sometimes, 10 people in a queue and some woman comes over to the till operator and tells her all the gossip from the weekend can last up to ten minutes some times they could stop altogether and turn their backs to you.
    It’s like they've become institutionalised.

At times I reckon there's industrial action going on like a go slow or a work to rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭daisy1984

This is not about which supermarket is better its about how people treat each other!!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

daisy1984 wrote: »
    This is not about which supermarket is better its about how people treat each other!!

Well they treat you like s**t up in the hyper!

Actually supermarket discussion might make an interesting thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

I fecking hate shopping. Food shopping is a nightmare.

If the tesco website was easier to use id just shop online. (tesco website is crap)

But yea the attitude yout get from people in supermarkets is hilarious.

Those self scan machines *shakes fist*
    The person who is meant to be looking after those for their shift..... never does.

Saturday... I had about 10 items and a birthday card. So when I put the card down the thing went mad cos the card was too light so i grabbed a heavier item that was previously scaaned and bobs your uncle.

Then the tesco girl comes over to me telling me to the scan through the item again cos i didnt scan it. Basically telling me im trying to rob a bottle of persil.

I got a little annoyed cos if she had checked her little monitor yoke she would have seen i scanned it but noooooo.... she comes over making a holy show of me.

And those scan yokes should only be used by people who can use them!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭janisjoplin

jayboi wrote: »
    +1 to that. It defies belief sometimes, 10 people in a queue and some woman comes over to the till operator and tells her all the gossip from the weekend can last up to ten minutes some times they could stop altogether and turn their backs to you.
    It’s like they've become institutionalised.

At times I reckon there's industrial action going on like a go slow or a work to rule.

+1 i have NEVER in my whole life come across such ignorant people as i have have anytime i,ve had the misfortune to shop in there,most people i know boycot the place,i have never once heard a please or thank you,the company that owes it should hire them mystery shoppers and give the staff a boot up the ass

oh and you cant beat superquinn for good service and food is good there too just a tad expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

These days with money been in short supply and all that there is really no reason for bad service from a shop or where ever else you spend money at, I think if someone is treated badly while they are spending there money they should get on here and shout as loud as they can about the experience, Im a big supporter of spending local and supporting Irish company's but sometimes you feel like your doing them a favor by shopping there, supervalue is my local supermarket but im sick of going in there and been treated bad.:mad:

rant over...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭lassykk

You couldn't beat Centra on the quay for top quality service circa 2000 - 2006 and especially in the 2002 - 2004 period.

On a side note I worked there then and Ziedth did in the shorter period. :p

Service at its finest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

that was you??????? i'm always telling people about the service i recieved in there in the summer of 2005. its ruined shopping anywhere else for me though, such was the service. i even had a t shirt printed (i still wear it when i write poems about daisies)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

+1 for not liking supervalu at the hyper same thing has happened me dozens of times.

I was fairly annoyed when I found out they get some of the winnings from the winning lotto ticket sold there last week!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

longshanks wrote: »
    that was you??????? i'm always telling people about the service i recieved in there in the summer of 2005. its ruined shopping anywhere else for me though, such was the service. i even had a t shirt printed (i still wear it when i write poems about daisies)

Ah I see what you did there,

My nephew said a similar thing to me over the weekend, "spurs are by far the best team in the world" he said laughing away to himself.

I found it very clever to come out from him for no reason,

he is 6 though..................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Regarding the topic of paying with coppers, I did it myself in Tesco the other day. I must have used about 20 coins. Worked out it took less than a minute to do so. If the people behind me are unhappy about waiting that long (or short) a time then I have no sympathy for them.

In other news....my latest pet peeve is using the Superquinn SuperScan checkout and having to wait behind normal customers who are unloading their baskets or trolleys onto the conveyor at checkout. They never get turned away by the checkout staff and always have the excuse "oh, I didn't know this was a self-scan isle" while standing right next to a sign that says so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Regarding the topic of paying with coppers, I did it myself in Tesco the other day. I must have used about 20 coins. Worked out it took less than a minute to do so. If the people behind me are unhappy about waiting that long (or short) a time then I have no sympathy for them.

In other news....my latest pet peeve is using the Superquinn SuperScan checkout and having to wait behind normal customers who are unloading their baskets or trolleys onto the conveyor at checkout. They never get turned away by the checkout staff and always have the excuse "oh, I didn't know this was a self-scan isle" while standing right next to a sign that says so.

It was just before Christmas last year when I got to the self-scan checkout a few seconds after someone with a massively full trolley. They started to unload onto the belt while the checkout operator told them repeatedly that it was a self-scan one. Cue a huge amount of huffing and grumbling as the two or three items already unloaded were put back into the trolley, followed by a massive strop of "well you can keep it" and a promise "never to return"! There were several checkouts available, it's not as if she would have had to queue up for very long, and she had a Superquinn card which would have allowed her to use the selfscan in the first place. Truly bizarre behaviour, and I often feel sorry for people who have to work in retail!

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 38,267 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Some people are just ignorant Snobs. i work in a place which serves a lot of people each day and its just funny and Scary how ignorant and stupied some people really are lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭tommytoofar

I do slaes and merchandising for a rather large company in Svalu the Hyper and I find the women on the tills by the sweets painful. Feel as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit. The bitches baely lift a finger to help themselves and naer a please, thank you or any form of niceties or chat, unless you`re a local. I hate working in FMCG!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

daisy1984 wrote: »

But that could be the point , the better the supermarket ie the staff ,and the way you are treated could/will reflect on the way you treat other shoppers .

• Advertisement

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    But that could be the point , the better the supermarket ie the staff ,and the way you are treated could/will reflect on the way you treat other shoppers .

I'm afraid not though, I have worked in a number of retail units, varying size and who it sells too.

And NOWHERE even comes close to the level of assholeness you get in Superquinn. I was there maybe 4 years and some things actually annoy me today if I think about them.

The staff in Superquinn I think are the nicest to customers in the city, granted they are paid to be but the fact remains.

Advertisement