Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Expired NCT, caught at checkpoint

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Anan1 wrote: »
    Seriously, how can you argue that the NCT is not a safety check? It may be imperfect, but it's a safety check nonetheless.
    Lots of parts of the test do address safety - tyres, lights, brakes, suspension, rust, all safety issues.

That's not all it's about though - for example, it puts perfectly safe cars off the road every day for emissions problems. From a government point of view, i see the major 'benefit' of the NCT as taking older cars out of circulation as soon as possible. Fewer older cars => more newer cars =>more vrt, vat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Anan1 wrote: »
    Seriously, how can you argue that the NCT is not a safety check? It may be imperfect, but it's a safety check nonetheless.

I don't need to argue, I'll just quote the Gubberment: Vehicle factors only contribute to 0.5% of fatalities

or, only 0.3% page 38

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

SARASON wrote: »
    Hope you do get a summons and 5 penalty points and a fine. The guard you met was totally sound he should have seized your car on the spot. I have vehicles on the road for a living and i test them a month before they are due in case extra work must be carried out. You left it 6 months after and never would have bothered until you were stopped. Shame on you

A friend once had a car fail because it was a hatchback and the hydraulics on the read door wouldn't hold it up properly - the single fault. He didn't get it re-tested out of annoyance and just traded it in. Would that deserve 5 penalty points and shame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

galwaytt wrote: »
    I don't need to argue, I'll just quote the Gubberment: Vehicle factors only contribute to 0.5% of fatalities

or, only 0.3% page 38
    I'm lost now. How does that prove that the NCT is not a safety check?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

A friend once had a car fail because it was a hatchback and the hydraulics on the read door wouldn't hold it up properly - the single fault. He didn't get it re-tested out of annoyance and just traded it in. Would that deserve 5 penalty points and shame?

Did he drive it around for 6 months in the mean time though, before trading it in?

If he didn't, then that's not the best example to introduce in this argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 muppet26

ooh look at all the self righteous people on here! Meh read the post properly and understand the guys situation before posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Its a peculiar Irish thing to make up a version of the Rules that suit you and then try to persuade the rest of the country to adopt them in favour of the official rules.

The Official Rule is , if you dont have that square of paper (that is called a DISC :rolleyes:) on your windscreen, you arent entitled to be on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Hope you do get a summons and 5 penalty points and a fine........

Hope you go to court / hope you get a fine / hope you get penalty points / serves you right / shame on you / you'll burn in hell .....BLAHBLAHBLAH ..........Jesus, its a feckin witch-hunt :rolleyes:

But on a serious note, 6 months was pushing it a bit OP, as other ( not so hostile ) posters have pointed out, and at this juncture it's fair to say you have been lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

OP, I wont pass judgement.

You can get an NCT quickly if you try. Pay the money - can't bankrupt you. It will make life easier. You got done and unfortunately need to sort this rather than wriggle out. I know we'd all like an easy way out but is it really worth the risk. 5 points and a fairly substantial fine for what, a couple of hundred?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

cpoh1 wrote: »
    You got pretty unlucky there i must say.

What???

How can you say he was unlucky??

He was lucky that the garda didn't take the car off like he was perfectly entitled to do!
    He was lucky the garda gave him a chance to do the right thing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

The NCT can be gotten quickly. I even manged to get a car booked online for 2 months, went back 2 days to recheck and a slot was free for 3 days time. Didn't even have to go looking for a cancellation.

If you had failed the first NCT, booked another for a few months time, fixed the prob & then drove you would prob have more sympathy but as it is: You failed, didn't fix and didn't book a new one. Guard was way too nice.

It's not like it failed a major thing. If it did go to court then a Judge will not believe you couldn't find a mech or book nct in 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

deman wrote: »
    What???

How can you say he was unlucky??

He was lucky that the garda didn't take the car off like he was perfectly entitled to do!
    He was lucky the garda gave him a chance to do the right thing!

He was unlucky because 99% of gardai have no interest in the NCT and understand that its a farce of a test and system (i understand its all we have!).

He was also unlucky because there are 1000's of cars on the road all over the country with expired/no ncts with no problem from gardai.

Lets face it a lack of nct is a very minor offence when you consider the amount of uninsured/drunk/unlicenced drivers on the roads and considering the paucity of real safety checks (my pushbike brakes on a car would pass the nct braking criteria) its driver is not really safety orientated either no matter what spin is put on it.

Any common sense garda will turn a blind eye to a lack of nct on the dash, most will tell you its too much hassle to prosecute anyway. 5 points and large fine is the MAX fine you can get, the are very very few people getting anything near that punishment in court.

I know there are loads of model citizens on here but this is reality in a imperfect world!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

Hope you do get a summons and 5 penalty points and a fine. The guard you met was totally sound he should have seized your car on the spot. I have vehicles on the road for a living and i test them a month before they are due in case extra work must be carried out. You left it 6 months after and never would have bothered until you were stopped. Shame on you

CHRIST almighty mate youd wanna be careful your halo's about to fall off, it could be that he has tried to get it done or maybe he is just busy i hope one day something like this happens to you and you try to get advice and you meet some tool like you shouting the odds at a pc screen cos your hardcore, TOOL
    Let me get this straight.

Your NCT is out almost 6 months, due to failure on a fairly important componant of the vehicles suspension.

You get stopped at a checkpoint recently, and now you are looking at 5 points and a thousand euro fine.

However, you seem to feel this is unjust, so your looking for a way out.

How many opportunities have you had in the last 6 months to repair the car and book a retest? I could have built a car from the wheels up in 6 months, never mind getting this work done!

Your middle name must be Shylock.

while i have no problem with your quote, shylocks a bit harsh aint it funny though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

caspa307 wrote: »
    TOOL

Calling names makes your point even more valid and makes you sound mature!

To be honest I would rather they seized his car also. The cop was doing him a serious favor by not taking his motor off him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

CHRIST almighty mate youd wanna be careful your halo's about to fall off, it could be that he has tried to get it done or maybe he is just busy i hope one day something like this happens to you and you try to get advice and you meet some tool like you shouting the odds at a pc screen cos your hardcore, TOOL

while i have no problem with your quote, shylocks a bit harsh aint it funny though :D

Your obviously someone that dont give a toss about the law. If he crashed into your car and killed your kids and another loved one because his car wasnt roadworthy you might have a different attitude. What would you do then..... Call him names on the roadside???????????????????

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

muppet26 wrote: »
    ooh look at all the self righteous people on here! Meh read the post properly and understand the guys situation before posting.

Your post is pretty pointless, atleast if your going to say people don't understand the OP's situation how about you actually post examples of why you "think" this.

Without anything else your most might as well have been posted in another random forum for all the meaning it has
    cpoh1 wrote: »
    He was unlucky because 99% of gardai have no interest in the NCT and understand that its a farce of a test and system (i understand its all we have!).

Hearsay, please back this up with actual facts
    He was also unlucky because there are 1000's of cars on the road all over the country with expired/no ncts with no problem from gardai.

Oh I guess that makes it ok right?
    Sure I guess tomorrow I'll drive with no insurance because there's 1000's of idiot motorists doing it and not getting caught :rolleyes:
    I know there are loads of model citizens on here but this is reality in a imperfect world!

I'll continue to be an imperfect world as long as people like you are around that don't seem to give a rats arse about the laws
    CHRIST almighty mate youd wanna be careful your halo's about to fall off, it could be that he has tried to get it done or maybe he is just busy

Busy for almost 6 months?
    Yeah thats a great excuse
    i hope one day something like this happens to you and you try to get advice and you meet some tool like you shouting the odds at a pc screen cos your hardcore, TOOL

Yeah nice argument, reduced to childish name calling

Sure a smiley face makes it all better.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You can take a weeks break for that one. Let's keep things civil.
    Thanks

Advertisement