Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treating depression with ADD medication

Options
  • 07-03-2010 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone here had any experience with this?

I have recently come off Lustral after about a year on it, and have also tried Effexor. I am doing my Leaving Cert this June and find that the SSRI made me feel really "slow" and unable to recall things I had studied, while I had to stop the Effexor for other reasons. So now I am looking for alternatives to these medications, and had heard of patients using Adderall having success with managing their depression. Would it be possible to get this medication without a diagnosis of ADD? As someone with all the symptoms of ADD (admittedly could be caused by depression) but who is 18, would a diagnosis be rare? Is it "cheating" to seek out this medication (renowned as a study aid) coming up to the LC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here ,
    I'm sorry if this is not the right place to ask this, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

I asked my GP about ADD and she said she would refer me to an educational psychologist "to see if dyslexia or dyspraxia or anything like that was causing my difficulty with school". The educational psychologist would cost €700 or something to assess me, so I asked if my psychiatrist could diagnose me, and she said the psychiatrist may refer me to a psychologist. I'm not sure if she meant an ordinary psychologist or an educational psychologist.

I'm really confused now. Can an ordinary psychologist diagnose ADD? I am not sure of the advantages of going to an educational psychologist.

Advertisement