Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tiny budget - what would you buy?

Options
  • 07-03-2010 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Okay, I need to buy a used car. My maximum budget is 5000, including tax & insurance. I am 35 years old, 5 years named driver on another policy, 5 years claim free. My problem is everyone I discuss this with give the usual 'sensible' advice. That is "get a little car, small engine, cheap(er) insurance, cheaper tax (remember it's gonna be on the old tax system). Basically, cheaper to run and yada yada ...". And my head says 'yes'. But here's the problem - my heart says 'no' ! I can't stand small cars. U know the ones: Micra, Corsa, Clio, Ibiza, Punto et al.
    I'm more inclined to go with the larger, older(say 8 - 10 years old) variety - I'm thinking:
    • BMW 5 series, or higher spec 3 series
    • Saab 9-5
    • Audi A4 or A6
    • Merc C or E class
    Am I nuts? My mileage will be less than 8000kms per year. Heart or head? Anyone else been in the same position? What did YOU do? Any regrets? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Personally, I went with the heart.

I'd prefer to drive something that I wanted to. Every time I look forward to hopping in and taking a spin. I'd never feel that way with a diesel or 'logical' car.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

i recently bought a bmw 520 00D for 3000 euro 62k miles on clock, an absolute beautiful car to drive ,tax expensive and expensive to run but well worth it . if i was you i would go with heart and go for something nice rather than practical considering you only do 8000kms /year

Some great deals on second hands at the mo. trick is to haggle haggle haggle, its a buyers market!!! good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Christ0pher

JHMEG wrote: »
    thanks JHMEG - S320 is a huge car ! I'm single, that'd be a bit OTT. or would it ? hmmm. dammit - now look what u done !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Nice S320 but Mercs of that vintage have a bad reputation for reliability.

• Advertisement

thanks JHMEG - S320 is a huge car ! I'm single, that'd be a bit OTT. or would it ? hmmm. dammit - now look what u done !

Well you asked something out of the ordinary...

It's a huge amount of car for the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Or this.....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1195131

View2?id=2607067

One owner from new. I'll bet you'd get it for a grand ;)

Sorry for thread hogging.... I'll go away now :P

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1191822

View2?id=2594375

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Christ0pher

Saab Ed, they seem like a decent cars. don't know too much about them, any advice, faults to look out for. Those 3 spoke wheels would be an aquired taste though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I have to say those saabs look like great value. You couldnt really go wrong.

Saab Ed, they seem like a decent cars. don't know too much about them, any advice, faults to look out for. Those 3 spoke wheels would be an aquired taste though!

The oil needs changing more often than Saab suggested and because of this you can end up with a blocked oil strainer in the sump which in turn ends up with the engine going bang. Watch out for a flickering oil light and exhaust snoke on a test drive. Both are signs the turbo / engine are on the way out. Also the auto versions can hold gears too long. Its a box out job so just walk away.

A lot of these cars got replacement engines because of this and if you buy one of these you can land a proper bargain. If the oil is changed every 5-6,ooo miles instead of the 12,ooo that Saab suggested then you'll never have a problem.

Aeros are proper 5 Series killers ( they've got the lovely 3 spoke alloys :D ) They are very fast , very comfortable and driven daily also very economical.....just dont plant it too often or point 3 goes out the window.

If you are after one then I can put you in contact with a real good Saab guy who kows these cars inside out. ;)

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Aeros are proper 5 Series killers
    They're also FWD aren't they? Which unfortunately makes them pretenders to the crown.

With the Opel Vectra heritage I'd expect the parts to be cheap, and maintenance relatively simple on the Saabs?

They're also FWD aren't they? Which unfortunately makes them pretenders to the crown.

Indeed they are fwd :) I don't want to wander this thread off topic but unless you have 250+bhp the ole rwd is better bla bla bla doesn't really stand up unless the chassis, supension on the fwd car is awful.

OP, get a big, comfy older car that is in great nick and well looked after, 2.0 tax in €600 ish under the cc regime and insurance shouldn't be too much more unless you buy something quite looney as you are in your 30s. €3000/€3500 and you'd have a fine bus. That €1400 9 5 that Saab Ed linked to looks quite a bus for the money.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Indeed they are fwd :) I don't want to wander this thread off topic but unless you have 250+bhp..........
    My understanding is the reason for rwd in "luxury" cars is a combination of traditional values (ie Bently, etc) and a better turning circle in a big car. Nothing to do with performance really, if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

the 9-5 is a great car to drive... but imho it has one major fault....

Full?id=2604181

the interior- the dash layout is shocking and tacky.....i couldnt live with that every day......

robtri wrote: »
    the interior- the dash layout is shocking and tacky.....i couldnt live with that every day......
    I would agree. It's one of the worst dashes in living memory. Is it straight or is it curvy... is it plastic or is it wood...

Dash looks gash in pics but a 9 5 is a great place to sit, very driver friendly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭1948Wolseley

Nissan Maxima?
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Nissan/Maxima/201009197084206/advert?channel=CARS
    If I can run one on a tiny budget, then so can you!

Stay away from the 3 litre to keep running costs down, and go for one with all the toys. Manuals are slightly rarer than autos, but there are still a good few around, if they're your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I would agree. It's one of the worst dashes in living memory. Is it straight or is it curvy... is it plastic or is it wood...
    That's a particularly unflattering photo. Whilst not arguing that it's beautiful, I think it looks fine. It's also very ergonomically sound - I had a 9-5 for a while and everything falls easily to hand.

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    Dash looks gash in pics but a 9 5 is a great place to sit, very driver friendly :)

The seats are supposed to be supremely comfy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

i had a 9-5 for a couple of months, two of them exactly an aero and a griffin....

fabulous cars... lovely to drive, great long distance cruisers.... in that class of cars would be in my top three of great cars..

its just that dash really irks me for some reason.... mind you i did really like the cup holder... i know stupid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How about a Volvo S60? Comfortable car and the 2.0 litre turbo is brisk enough:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201009197086627

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Some bus but nothing cheap about running that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭DrivingsCool

[
    • BMW 5 series, or higher spec 3 series
    • Saab 9-5
    • Audi A4 or A6
    • Merc C or E class
    Am I nuts? My mileage will be less than 8000kms per year. Heart or head? Anyone else been in the same position? What did YOU do? Any regrets? :confused:[/QUOTE]

The cars you listed here are classics, they were Classic designs with great spec and durability. I think that List you have there is very positive. Not so sure about Saab though, I just dont like problems but then again the cabrio range are very beautiful.

Why not spend max 3k on a car ,
    1 k on insurance just for argument and then if anything breaks you still have 1k left. Get what you want, life too short for driving a Micra, unless you want to drive one. No offence to Roy and Haley!

"Life is too short for doing something you dont want"

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭DrivingsCool

the 9-5 is a great car to drive... but imho it has one major fault....

Full?id=2604181

It will grow on you. I think it looks great! definitely get a saab, oozes personality..... Love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Saab 9-5 dash looks like it was designed by engineers, for engineers.... nothing wrong with that:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

The Honda Accord (new shape) is worth a look. They came out in 03 and can be picked up in the uk for less than €4000. VRT is about €1000. The cheapest on carzone is about 7k so you wouldn't loose out when you go to sell it on. Wouldn't worry about high milers ( sure what would you expect for 5k?)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

For 5k you are looking at 01 & 02 3 & 5 series bmw's...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 solar2

Advertisement