Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tiny budget - what would you buy?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Christ0pher

solar2 wrote: »
    whoa ! what a stunner. now that would make you happy to drive to work wouldn't it!
    But at €1,566 road tax. Ouch ! I'd need to sell a kidney to run it. A beauty though. no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Something along the lines of this..

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1180693

Had an e39 530d M Sport with lots of kit. Unbelieveably accomplished car and better than the E65 imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

commited wrote: »
    Something along the lines of this..

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1180693

Had an e39 530d M Sport with lots of kit. Unbelieveably accomplished car and better than the E65 imho.

come complete with an M% badge on the back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Aeros are proper 5 Series killers

What have you been smoking? :p

Mind, I quite like these cars. Perhaps the best comparison between one and a 5 series is that they are both a great buy with a recently replaced engine :D

* Thanks to all responders so far. Much to think about indeed. *
    - So mileage on most of these is gonna be in 6 figures. anyone know a good source of knowing exactly what mechanicals should have been replaced and when? I'm thinking timing belts and big jobs. Hardly a website called out there? wishful thinking?
    I've heard Beemers are expensive to service. would't this be true of most of these?
    [I'm talking about bmw 3 & 5 series, saab 9-5, merc C & E class etc ]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭BrianD3

There is a 03 Renault Vel Satis on carzone with a years NCT, timing belt apparently done and low mileage. You might even get a warranty with it. Looks aren't to everyone's taste (understatement) but the interior is luxurious.

I would be looking at cars like this, the Peugeot 607, Volvo S80 and maybe Opel Omega. For your budget you'll probably get a newer fresher example than you will if will if you go for a 5 series, A6 etc.

If you want a "big" car I'd rule out the BMW 3 series, Audi A4 and Mercedes C Class.

Would also rule out the S class and similar car. 5k tired luxury barges that cost 100k new are a receipe for big bills. You need to know what you're doing buying something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Look , this BM can even drive upside down :D

Full?id=2554834

unkel wrote: »
    What have you been smoking? :p

Mind, I quite like these cars. Perhaps the best comparison between one and a 5 series is that they are both a great buy with a recently replaced engine :D

The 5 Series is a much better handling car no doubt about it but there isnt a BMW ever made that could keep with an Aero 9-5 from 50 - 100. A 9-5 Aero will kill some very very quick cars in the mid range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Sod the usual suspects.

View2?id=2601573

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/1193680

You'll love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

there isnt a BMW ever made that could keep with an Aero 9-5 from 50 - 100. A 9-5 Aero will kill some very very quick cars in the mid range.
    No doubt it should be quick, but I think you might be over-estimating the 9-5 aero, just a bit.

• Advertisement

Saab Ed, quick question, are the 2.3s in the aero prone to the sludge issue in the sump that the 2.0s are ?

BrianD3, I'm starting to think the same. been reading the threads on boards re: 5 series. So far I see that at 100K things that will need replacing are:
    1. suspension - cost up to 2 grand! <gulp>
    2. cooling system - 500 - 700 quid <more gulps>
    3. heater blower fault - circa 160 quid.
    Lack of service history is the big worry on the majority of cars I been checking out. Too big a risk really. I think 5k budget ain't enough (but it's all I got right now).
    Sound advice on looking at 'lesser' marques. Gonna do more research on slightly newer "others" - the volvo S-60 is nice. And F.S.H. is the key I'm thinking. Vel Satis? WTF is that? ha ha - nah I know 'em. Never thought about owning one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

Won't be economical but great looking car, fantastic interior, and if it has been well looked after then it'll be a joy...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/156/2.0-16V-/201008197068716/advert?channel=CARS

another...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/156/1.8-TSPA/201007196944265/advert?channel=CARS

Just a suggestion from an Alfa fan! Have to say, I also like some of the Saabs suggested so far. Plenty of choice for you really. And yes, go with your heart!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Sound advice on looking at 'lesser' marques. Gonna do more research on slightly newer "others" - the volvo S-60 is nice. And F.S.H. is the key I'm thinking. Vel Satis? WTF is that? ha ha - nah I know 'em. Never thought about owning one though.
    This is the one I was talking about.
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Vel-Satis/6-SPEED-/200949196103210/advert?channel=CARS

The low price might imply that there is no warranty but you never know. Even though the ad says "no offers" it also says it was last updated 94 days ago, they may be desperate to get rid of it now.

:)mmmmmmmm ....Italian Leather.....

L_2008112519451198225.jpg

Seats....I said seats.....didnt I :D

2007-alfa-romeo-159-ti-2_460x0w.jpg

yeah, Vel Satis is a lot of car for the money. nicely kitted out. good suggestion, I'll keep it in mind. if it's still there in 30 days - I'll go offer 3k !
    re: Alfa's, always liked Alfa 156s. But for some reason it's in my mind - never, ever, ever, ever buy a used italian car ! Lots for 'smiles per gallon' I'm sure. maybe, as my milage is going to be < 8k km per yr, I should consider Alfa Romeo. It's have to be FSH though.
    re: little yellow mini estate - eh NO !

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

:)mmmmmmmm ....Italian Leather.....

L_2008112519451198225.jpg

Seats....I said seats.....didnt I :D

2007-alfa-romeo-159-ti-2_460x0w.jpg

+1 on both mate, now put the two together......
    yeah, Vel Satis is a lot of car for the money. nicely kitted out. good suggestion, I'll keep it in mind. if it's still there in 30 days - I'll go offer 3k !
    re: Alfa's, always liked Alfa 156s. But for some reason it's in my mind - never, ever, ever, ever buy a used italian car ! Lots for 'smiles per gallon' I'm sure. maybe, as my milage is going to be < 8k km per yr, I should consider Alfa Romeo. It's have to be FSH though.
    re: little yellow mini estate - eh NO !

Absolutely, run a mile if you can't be sure that it has been cared for, could end up giving you hell otherwise. But if you find a nice example, like you said, smiles per gallon will be off the scale! And that interior, a major plus for me. You'll be doing low mileage, but it's still nice to sit in pleasant and comfortable surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭amaughan

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Opel/Vectra/ELEGANCE/201005196821720/advert?channel=CARS

cant beat the vectra for value for money.check donedeal and carzone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

amaughan wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Opel/Vectra/ELEGANCE/201005196821720/advert?channel=CARS

cant beat the vectra for value for money.check donedeal and carzone.
    LOL...... Vectra are yor serious? or seriously trying to sell one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭amaughan

no i love them cars.ha wats not to like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

My problem is everyone I discuss this with give the usual 'sensible' advice. That is "get a little car, small engine, cheap(er) insurance, cheaper tax (remember it's gonna be on the old tax system). Basically, cheaper to run and yada yada ...". And my head says 'yes'. But here's the problem - my heart says 'no'

The Irish have an obsession with small engine cars. I can't remember the amount of times I've got into arguments with people when trying to explain to them that a bigger engine car doesn't necessarily mean higher fuel consumption (argument usually stems from a particular car with two engine options e.g. Golf or Focus 1.4 v's 1.6). And a lot of times a bigger engine is actually more economical as it's under less stress, which also means it will last longer. The insurance difference is usually only minimal; and the cost of taxing, say, a 1.3 as against a 1.9 litre can be a few hundred euros, but IMO it can well worth it. I wouldn't be inclined to got over a 2L engine though (on the old tax system) as it takes a big jump then.

There's also a lot more bargains to be had in the bigger car segment (e.g. 1.8.). Greater comfort, durability, style etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

<Ollie> wrote: »

There's also a lot more bargains to be had in the bigger car segment (e.g. 1.8.). Greater comfort, durability, style etc..

Theres great value in the bigger engined cars because the tax on them is more. Year tax for a 1.4 is 330 euro. Almost double for a 2.0 liter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Or this.....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1195131

View2?id=2607067

One owner from new. I'll bet you'd get it for a grand ;)
    Sorry for thread hogging.... I'll go away now :P

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1191822

View2?id=2594375
    Theres great value in the bigger engined cars because the tax on them is more. Year tax for a 1.4 is 330 euro. Almost double for a 2.0 liter.

They're still better value though. How much were these Saabs ^^^ new? Compare the prices of these now to smaller engine cars of the same year (e.g. Fiesta) and their original list price. I know it costs more to tax, and I already said this in my first post, but I also listed the advantages. They're still more of a bargain though, in the context of their original list price. They cost the same to tax when they were bought new btw i.e. the difference between the 1.4 and 2.0 was the same back then (when they left the showroom), but the difference in price was more than double in most instances

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

The oil needs changing more often than Saab suggested and because of this you can end up with a blocked oil strainer in the sump which in turn ends up with the engine going bang. Watch out for a flickering oil light and exhaust snoke on a test drive. Both are signs the turbo / engine are on the way out. Also the auto versions can hold gears too long. Its a box out job so just walk away.

A lot of these cars got replacement engines because of this and if you buy one of these you can land a proper bargain. If the oil is changed every 5-6,ooo miles instead of the 12,ooo that Saab suggested then you'll never have a problem.

Aeros are proper 5 Series killers ( they've got the lovely 3 spoke alloys :D ) They are very fast , very comfortable and driven daily also very economical.....just dont plant it too often or point 3 goes out the window.

If you are after one then I can put you in contact with a real good Saab guy who kows these cars inside out. ;)

I have one and she's a lovely car to drive but they need FSH and dont skimp on the intervals as they dont like lack of servicing. I do agree about the drab interior, but they make up for it in other areas.Can I have this guy so as I can keep him in my boot:D. Where is he?

p5240004.jpg
    p5240003.jpg
    p5240002.jpg
    p5240001i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well ill be buying a second car for daily driving. i will go same way as OP, i got prety much same car choise.

merc e230k
    volvo s60 T5
    volvo s70R
    bmw 525 ( e39)

i havent seen volvo being offered. s60 T5 is a great BANG for the money if you ask me, they dirt cheap now, like all volvos, which is weird...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

<Ollie> wrote: »
    The Irish have an obsession with small engine cars. I can't remember the amount of times I've got into arguments with people when trying to explain to them that a bigger engine car doesn't necessarily mean higher fuel consumption (argument usually stems from a particular car with two engine options e.g. Golf or Focus 1.4 v's 1.6). And a lot of times a bigger engine is actually more economical as it's under less stress, which also means it will last longer. The insurance difference is usually only minimal; and the cost of taxing, say, a 1.3 as against a 1.9 litre can be a few hundred euros, but IMO it can well worth it. I wouldn't be inclined to got over a 2L engine though (on the old tax system) as it takes a big jump then.

One small, one smaller :p

Advertisement