Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recomend a sat nav

Options
  • 07-03-2010 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm sure this question is asked here regulary here, I did some searching through some of the threads here but couldnt find anything. I want to buy a Sat Nav but not sure which make to buy. Which are best for updates and I might like to do a bit of OSM mapping around the Offaly area so which one is best for this. If you dont want to recomend a particular brand or model, any advice on which ones to avoid. The price is not the main factor in my choice but value for money is (better features are worth a bit more etc).

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You really need to decide what features you want & what your budget is.
    You can get a basic GPS for under €100 or spend upto €500 or more for top of the range with Bluetooth handsfree, media player etc etc.
    Mapwise the 2 main providers are Navteq & Teleatlas.
    Generally around Ireland Navteq are more up to date. IMO Teleatlas are slightly ahead at street around Dublin. Of the various makes the most popular are Garmin & TomTom .
    Garmin use Navteq maps . TomTom use(and own) Teleatlas. TomTom have the feature Mapshare which allows you to correct errors instantly on your device & share corrections with other Tom Tom users. Both of these makes would have a full range of devices from entry level to top of the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭medoc

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at a few garmin and TomTom between €100 - €200 in town the other day. Was tending towards Garmin at the time. How do I know which will be suitable for OSM mapping and updating or are most/all suitable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

TomTom would require a lot of work to use OSM mapping.
    There is a good guite to various software here.
    If you are more interested in correcting Errors TomTom devices have this included .
    There is a good article here explaining all about MapShare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Aldi have one today...for €99 .Aldi Sat Nat

Be careful to read the full specs.
    In nice big letters on the picture it says Traffic Alerts & Camera Alerts!
    However with Traffic Alerts.....
    Traffic alerts – get traffic information and avoid jams with Trafficmaster™. (Traffic services are available in Great Britain, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, France, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland)
    Not a mention of Ireland. I would imagine the same for camera alerts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If the unit will record tracklogs of where you've been then you can use it for adding to the OSM maps, some car units might not let you turn off the lock on road though I think. If you want to make use of the OSM maps on your unit then you are better off with Garmin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭medoc

robinph wrote: »
    If the unit will record tracklogs of where you've been then you can use it for adding to the OSM maps, some car units might not let you turn off the lock on road though I think. If you want to make use of the OSM maps on your unit then you are better off with Garmin though.

Thanks for the reply, I would like to be able to contribute to the OSM mapping around here which is a bit lacking in detail. I will make sure that any unit I buy can record tracklogs. I like the look and feel of some of the Garmin units so will probably head that way.

Advertisement