Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

what a f*cker.....
    iphones get seriously target especially in town, its not even just gangs doing it, bloody junkies etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Ah this guy was off his face, I could tell. He never once looked at me, just kept his eyes locked on the phone.

I feel all blue now. What a rubbish 3 days, funeral on Monday and Tuesday and this today. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I dont have an Iphone but if i did i wouldnt feel comfortable using walking around northside town.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Maybe your right baby, many people might have one, but I have first experience of how a weapon of almost any kind can deter in the Defence Forces. Never hang onto anyone if you decide to give chase, it can be pretty dangerous and he could have easily given you a thump for it.

Quick and simple solution which can prove incredibly effect, give chase and when close enough, kick their heel. Works a treat everytime ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

To the ASSHAT who mugged me and stole my iPhone earlier:

F**K YOU

I'm just glad I punched you in the head before you ran off with it you scumbag.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

That's terrible I hope your ok pain in the ass having your phone taken but no piece of tech is worth getting injured over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

To the ASSHAT who mugged me and stole my iPhone earlier:

F**K YOU

I'm just glad I punched you in the head before you ran off with it you scumbag.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

So sorry to hear that...

In case the guard didnt say to do it, ring the network provider (o2 etc) and ask them to block the phone. They can block the serial number (not just your sim) and it means its VERY difficult for anybody to use the phone again.
    Sorry to hear that this world continues to bear scum bags.

I don't condone these, but they do have a certain fúck off or you'll get cut quality to them:

Please, Nobody, ever ever, carry a knife. Its a lethal weapon. Whatever about sticks, pepper spray, baton etc (all of which are illegal) If a knife goes wrong somebody will probably die, and most likely you. These thiefs dont care about you, and wont think twice about trying to get it of you and stabbing you, or of pushing you onto it if they work in pairs... You could also land yourself in very serious legal trouble. Unfortunately Ive seen the effects of people stabbed with their own knifes, and shot with their own guns and the stats show many people end up seriously injured with their own "self defence" weapon.

Itsthatmanagain may have great training from the defence forces, but the rest of us are better working on avoiding becoming a victim, and learning Krav Maga or some other form of practical self defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Hope you are ok B&C and that the main damage was to your jacket.

Couldn't agree more Tyler, it's not a solution unless you have significant training and really know what you are doing... in which case whether or not it's reasonable force will be argued against you :(

Yeah you have to be really careful about weapons.... My dad was attacked at knifepoint several years ago. In a carpark it was. Disabled slot as we were out with mam and he returned to the car for shopping bags. He has a bit of a limp.

Turns out the police were looking for the guy for mugging disabled people at their cars. When the knife came out, dad hit your man in the nose to get the knife off him. My dad is strong. The guy ended up with a broken nose etc. Cops said yer man wanted to lay charges and if it wasn't for the carpark CCTV showing dad used the heel of his hand and not the fist he could've been done. Because a fist especially a mans is a weapon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Sadly baby you are far from the first that I've heard about this happening. It's disgraceful n very worrying that this is what happens everyday on our streets.
    I have an iPhone and I feel so paranoid about having it out in town. The fact that you can't check the time or send a text let alone make a phonecall without looking around a million times is ridiculous.
    I hope your ok n not too shaken x

Thanks guys, I really appreciate everyone's good wishes. :)

My elbow where I fell is REALLY sore today, but that's the worst of it. It is honestly terrible that in your own city you can't use your own personal property any more, without it getting taken from you.

I think i'd feel more shook if I'd been actually mugged, like with a weapon or whatever. This was pure opportunism. If I hadn't had it out he probably wouldn't have looked twice at me.

• Advertisement

Thankfully it's just the elbow that hurts - coulda been worse. But it still stinks to high heavens.

Got out early to vote on my way out.
    Then got a sweet factory pick n mix as a treat - the thing about baking is you love to do it but dont eat much of what you bake. If it was anyone else's baking I'd be scoffing it. But I prefer to share mine out... Weird.

My poptart t shirt arrived :D 'your soul for a poptart?' it's the basement cat (devil) on a toaster one in case anyone saw that on lolcats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭apache

thats **** about your phone.

the amount of people i see with them on them with no sense of their surroundings is unreal. they are so easy to just whip out of your hands and run. the same way i see people in the pub with them out on a table. mine stays in my pocket. is it a status thing? i wouldn't leave e500 on the table of a pub and chat away. i see it as the same.
    it is an opportunistic crime and unfortunately the opportunity is too easy.

Aishae wrote: »
    Then got a sweet factory pick n mix as a treat - the thing about baking is you love to do it but dont eat much of what you bake. If it was anyone else's baking I'd be scoffing it. But I prefer to share mine out... Weird.

I'm EXACTLY the same when I bake. Baking really soothes me, and I love sharing it out with people. I'll probably bake tonight to relax after the last few days...

I know, apache, but believe me, I wasn't flaunting it. I wasn't listening to music at the time, I was just texting on my phone, which really, you should be able to do.

I agree with people who seem not to have any idea about what's going on around them, and the leaving it on the table thing is (i think) to do with freaking out you'll miss a call or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

What a day, what a day, what a day.
    Got offered my dream job which I can't take coz my current job is putting me through college. Whats for you won't pass you etc but something's just really suck.
    Also have my first official meeting tomorrow as the manager of a new major side company of my current employer. The 3 piece suit shall be donned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭apache

I know, apache, but believe me, I wasn't flaunting it. I wasn't listening to music at the time, I was just texting on my phone, which really, you should be able to do.

I agree with people who seem not to have any idea about what's going on around them, and the leaving it on the table thing is (i think) to do with freaking out you'll miss a call or something.
    i was talking in general b+c. i spaced down :)
    lol is that what it is?
    all i know is if i was that way inclined i could go into a pub any night of the week and fleece at least 6 phones in a 30 minute period. i also would get ripe pickings at closing time with all the tipsy people staring bleary eyed at their screens with oh so slow reflexes :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Best idea is to get a less "obvious" phone, like one of the HTC's or Samsungs, they could be any phone really, its the design of the iPhone that makes it stand out, same goes for thieves targeting people using white headphones, for iPhones or iPods.

Sorry about your phone though! It sucks when it happens!

Meesared wrote: »
    Best idea is to get a less "obvious" phone, like one of the HTC's or Samsungs, they could be any phone really, its the design of the iPhone that makes it stand out, same goes for thieves targeting people using white headphones, for iPhones or iPods.

Sorry about your phone though! It sucks when it happens!

The main reason I have a plain leather flip case on my one ^^^
    it's also as it makes them easier to grip though.
    I was only thinking last night - iPod touch look too much like an iPhone.

Cousin bean just had a baby girl (Bethany)
    Now... There are some certain too cute for words outfits I saw in dunnes....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

How is all tonight? Got stung by a wasp and took a bad reaction, blast! :P And I thought those feckers were gone with the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

i'm grand. tired out of my brain though :P

Found out a friend of mine from school who I'd lost touch with passed away this week.

Between that, and the funeral of a member of my partners family this week, and my phone getting robbed last night, I just want this bloody week to be OVER.

I can't get over it though, she was my age. Not even 30. Poor girl.

Life is short guys. We have to live it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

^ *hugs*

Thanks guys. I'm going to bed. I have lots of work to do tomorrow, managed to get roped into lecturing next week URGH!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

In an unrelated topic...

Good news for Mango and Labour Party supporters today (on two counts)...

And probably for many of us with the election of Michael D, particularly when Fine Gael is doing so well in opinion polls. My favourite quote from the election was something along the lines of "I hope they dont dig out any old photographs of me in the 70s" [when questioned re dirt in his past], which was said with such confidence that it could only instill faith in the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

It's looking like Michael D will be our next President :D I'm delighted for the Irish people - we've had enough embarrassments lately, we don't need any more by electing someone like McGuinness or Gallagher

It's looking like Michael D will be our next President :D I'm delighted for the Irish people - we've had enough embarrassments lately, we don't need any more by electing someone like McGuinness or Gallagher
    It's amazing how well he polled though... It's scary that so many still follow that 'ah but isn't he lovely though?' attitude. Sure I know people who despise FF and thought Gallagher was the dogs b'ollox - voted for him.

Aishae wrote: »
    It's amazing how well he polled though... It's scary that so many still follow that 'ah but isn't he lovely though?' attitude. Sure I know people who despise FF and thought Gallagher was the dogs b'ollox - voted for him.

I agree. But then again, I also thought it was scary how many people I knew voted for Norris. But we won't get into that debate as I know he has some supporters here :pac:

What's everyone dressing up as for Halloween? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

Im dressing up as Dana Scallon :P

Im dressing up as Dana Scallon :P

Haha ah go on : D get a loan o two bibles and go around (gently) whacking people on the head. Bible basher!

I'll see what's in my fancy dress box ( I put useless but potentially costumable bits in it)
    Demonic grandma maybe 8^{E

I was out last night and saw people dressed up as Tetris! How cool is that

• Advertisement

my vote was higgins 2 - i couldnt imagine any of the others after him in the aras
    while were talking about dana

hail micky, full of grace
    our vote is with thee
    blessed art thou amongst politicians
    and blessed is the fact you arent a (former) terrorist
    tiny micky, yoda et al
    obliterated the shinner
    and others. now go forth and multiply or something
    amen

Advertisement