Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Twas an outstanding day in work and good old quite birthday topped off by a speeding fine :(

It's your birthday???!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

;):cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'll not make a new thread in here, AH or feedback, but has AH lost the run of itself? The rate at which a discussion descends into chaos seems to go beyond the abilities of the forums numberous mods to control it.

I didn't get a chance to reply to any post within the thread as I was in work at the time, but many of the comments were outrageous in their context. Frankly, I'm pretty disguisted what the thread in AH to be honest and I'm sure many would share the sentiment

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Slang_Tang

I'll not make a new thread in here, AH or feedback, but has AH lost the run of itself? The rate at which a discussion descends into chaos seems to go beyond the abilities of the forums numberous mods to control it.

I didn't get a chance to reply to any post within the thread as I was in work at the time, but many of the comments were outrageous in their context. Frankly, I'm pretty disguisted what the thread in AH to be honest and I'm sure many would share the sentiment

If you can make it through a handful of posts on AH, you've got more stamina than I have.

People jump in too eagerly to post some inane joke in the hope of getting thanks. Which is fine if it's funny, but most humor on After Hours doesn't stretch beyond Chuck Norris-type jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Every now and again, somebody restores my faith in AH when they post a genuine funny reply; it can be something witty or it can be something offensive it doesn't matter to me. But it's getting rarer and rarer these days. The 'jokes' are still offensive but just not funny :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I dunno - was AH ever any different?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

It's AH, the only topics I've ever seen handled maturely are suicide and depression, and those threads always feel incredibly surreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

I remember that greatest act of kindness thread. A rare thread that is treated with respect and not full of flaming.
    But that's ah for you...
    Most people go there because they know they can get away with things they can't in other forums.

You're right about the thanks wh're jokes jcy. I don't mind if they're crap. But a lot I'd them are just repeats of things that were funny - once. Three fiddy, blast it with piss, yor ma etc. jaysus that's a shocking 'joke' repitoire !

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Slang_Tang

It's AH, the only topics I've ever seen handled maturely are suicide and depression, and those threads always feel incredibly surreal.

I know, right? There are threads like this on mental health that would warm your heart. But then around the same time, there was a thread on Sinead O'Connor's mental health difficulties in the same forum and the contrast in attitudes (like when we have to apply our nice intentions to real people) was amazing.

Yeah it's crazy all right, that thread has been going for over 2 months, I can only imagine the complete contrasts in values that have been evident in that time, I'd certainly call the thread that spurred this conversation on one. It's not surprising though, give people an anonymous high speed communication platform where they can't see who they're addressing, add in the relative freedom of 'opinion' over there... what do you expect?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Ladies and gents, I'm slightly enibriated tonight. So I will be modding very little. I just had to mention that and my new found freedom here in Galway, which I'm enjoying throughouhly.

Spelling corrections can be corrected tomorrow :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

@ ItsThatManAgain Drunk in Galway, doesn't get much better than that. :) Hope the head isn't too rough this morning :)

My head, last night seemed like a good idea at the time :( I'll try to refrain from drunk posting too :p

My head, last night seemed like a good idea at the time :( I'll try to refrain from drunk posting too :p
    Something I regret if I do it. Usually make a holy show of myself (I'm usually the only one who thinks so as everyone else was either too pissed, doing the same or too busy laughing) - technology should have breathalysers!

I'm very happy today. The source: a new apron. Ah to be fair it has sausage dogs. But in all seriousness I must be getting on a bit if I get all excited about cookie cutters, new mops, new flavour of Philadelphia and so forth. Thankfully I still come over all excited about new handbags and dresses too or I'd be in serious old fogey trouble.

I noticed there are others here who like to cook. Maybe we need a gay recipe exchange thread :D

This is making me want a beer. :o

diddlybit wrote: »

Learn from my misery and don't do it :P Ah I'm joking, the weekend is as good as here.

diddlybit wrote: »

Learn from my misery and don't do it :P Ah I'm joking, the weekend is as good as here.

It's time for joy it's time for beer cos weekends nearly here!

*clink* *hic*

Do not get AH at all.

The gay threads are like a shining beacon to a bunch of crazies on the internet to register and spout biblical quotes all over a thread. It's gone past homophobia into the realm of vacuous stupidity.

Seriously, if your line of reasoning ever contains the quote "God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" ooh, burn, please take yourself to the nearest vet and have yourself put down because you are contributing nothing to the advancement of the human race.

Then they disappear into the ether...(usually)

Must...Refrain...From...Arguing...With...Crazy...People.

That's it. Rant over. Time for a fag. Sorry. :o

Fcuk. I caved. :(

Aw but it's hilarious!

• Advertisement

Hilarious. Yet, oddly depressing. Darwin is weeping in his grave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 alarmskippy

Hi
    I keep getting told that I post in the wrong forum or say the wrong things? I am going to now probably say the wrong thing again .... but
    1. why does this site seem really really moderated like we are being monitored at work!
    2. am I even allowed to ask if anyone knows of any similar blogging sites(if that is what this is) that are a bit more free speech wise etc?

Read the stickies here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=98

1. Yes, they watch everything you do. No, seriously unless you're being a d**k, they won't pay any attention to you.

2. Have no idea. What on earth could you want to say?

There's a lot of people in AH supporting gay marriage though. Any mention of hay marriage and gay adoption brings some nuts out of the woodwork though 'its unnatursl' 'god says its wrong' at least these majority in that thread are not acting the nob. By nob I mean not even trying to explain anything past 'it's not natural' 'Adam and eve not Adam and Steve'

AH is like watching jerry springer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

I rather perversely find AH rather uplifting at times. It's meant to be an area where everyone slags off everyone else, and yet when there are gay threads the number of posters who step away from that and defend our rights gives me great hope. Think back 10/15 years ago, you could probably have counted the number of positive posts on one hand for any gay related thread. I love the fact that (largely) straight people call the numpties out when they spout the usual crap that is AH. To me it shows that the acceptance of the LGBT communities and the welcoming of equal rights has come a long, long way :)

Must preface all this by saying I'm completely smitten with the new woman in my life and am seeing silver linings on every cloud at the moment :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

AH, the Christianity forum and the Islam forum are great for knifing homophobes with repressed homosexual tendencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

AH, the Christianity forum and the Islam forum are great for knifing homophobes with repressed homosexual tendencies.

Whatever about AH, any of those religious forums are just laughable. How anyone can believe in any of that dinosaur, out-dated bunch of fairy tales and lies is beyond me, in this day of science, reason and logic. The evils men have done against other main based upon religious differences is saddening and so vile.

A good person will do good things. An evil person will do evil things. But for a good person to do evil things, it takes religion to make them do it.

Atheist and proud!:D

I believe in dinosaurs :(

Dinosaurs are awesome!

I believe in dinosaurs :(

Dinosaurs are awesome!

Right you are :P My pet T-Rex has been ripping up the concrete yard all weekend and it's really starting to fraustrate me. I might have to reinforce it with steel next time.

• Advertisement

I'd love a pet t-rex :D though I'm thinking more Ice Age 3 than Jurassic Park...

Advertisement