Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Driving Europe via the Nuremberg ring is at the top of my list of stuff I can't do but really really want to. Some day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Sounds fab! However my poor car wouldn't be able for it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

my car wouldn't be able for anything else when I get back. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭whattotdo

I see the Christianity forum now has a 'Gay mega thread'...more gay bashing I presume:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

whattotdo wrote: »
    I see the Christianity forum now has a 'Gay mega thread'...more gay bashing I presume:mad:

Really? Must head over for a bit of trolling if that's the case!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,432 ✭✭✭✭L1011

whattotdo wrote: »

Looks like the standard cyclic "Catholics should be allowed define marriage" "Of course they shouldn't" "Oh yes they should" rotation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I attended the sweetest CP I've been to yesterday. Lots of tears and laughs and general loveliness. The two nanas still dancing together and starting a singsong at 3am was my highlight.

Love is for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

Back to work tomorrow after 5 days off.... it feels like Sunday night before school!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I've been called some names in my time, but I really think getting called a "slimy, reptilian atheist" is the best one I've been called in a long time... :D:p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I've been called a Radioactive Space Mutant here on boards. I almost split my sides laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

I'm up in Dublin next week for 3 nights with work - any boardies about for a pint / coffee..... just looking to shoot the breeze with and nothing else!

DM me if about / free.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Will be up in Dublin Friday night/ Saturday morning with my GF. 8 years together and our first night in Dublin without extra family members/nephew!

Any recomendations on places to check out?

Heading to the Front Lounge as the GF use to hang out here when she was a Trinity student.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Really really hate terms like

Man up
    Grow a pair
    Grow some balls.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Really really hate terms like

Man up
    Grow a pair
    Grow some balls.

Sometimes it really needs to be said though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

1ZRed wrote: »
    Yes, but you can just as easily say cop the f' on.

Mango, did you read the column in The Journal this morning on society, advertising and masculinity? I'm finding that site to be a very refreshing media outlet of late.

On a slightly related note I'm getting a tad annoyed at random strangers questioning/judging/defining my gender in an arseholeish manner, may have sworn at someone in school attire today... Just one day of peace would be nice, I don't mind when people are genuine, but why is it acceptable to be so freaking rude to me?

Sorry just had to vent that!

Possibly but why does it need be said in such a way that hypermasculinity needs to be reinforced. It's almost placing a judgement on someone that they are not 'man enough' or meeting 'norms'. To me they are ugly offensive phrases. To me they are a subtle way of undermining a person by suggesting the person is not man enough or masculine enough.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yes, but you can just as easily say cop the f' on.

Mango, did you read the column in The Journal this morning on society, advertising and masculinity? I'm finding that site to be a very refreshing media outlet of late.

On a slightly related note I'm getting a tad annoyed at random strangers questioning/judging/defining my gender in an arseholeish manner, may have sworn at someone in school attire today... Just one day of peace would be nice, I don't mind when people are genuine, but why is it acceptable to be so freaking rude to me?

Sorry just had to vent that!

That was a really good piece. Thanks for pointing it out.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Why does it need to be said? Think more men should be told to soften the f**k up.

Not really expressions I'd think about really, wouldn't use them and doubt anyone is ever going to say them to me!

stephen_n wrote: »
    Why does it need to be said? Think more men should be told to soften the f**k up.

Not really expressions I'd think about really, wouldn't use them and doubt anyone is ever going to say them to me!

Who cares, it's only a saying. I think I've said it about myself here as well so I don't apply it to just other guys.

There is a difference between getting over a fear and get going (by growing a pair) and "softening the f**k up though".

Who cares, it's only a saying. I think I've said it about myself here as well so I don't apply it to just other guys.

There is a difference between getting over a fear and get going (by growing a pair) and "softening the f**k up though".

If your fear is being strong enough to show your weakness how do you man up to that one? The perception that masculinity and testosterone are the same thing is a bad joke that really passed its sell by date!

• Advertisement

If your fear is being strong enough to show your weakness how do you man up to that one? The perception that masculinity and testosterone are the same thing is a bad joke that really passed its sell by date!

Is this directed at me or is it rhetorical? I assume it's the latter.

No being fearful and hiding away from it but complaining, letting it dictate your life and still not doing anything about it requires a kick up the ass and a push to get to where you want to go.
    I have no time for people who want things and go on about how unfair things are yet don't try to do anything at all to fix it. I believe nothing is safe and comfortable and you have to make big pushes to get where you want to go. That's not easy, but if you want it bad enough, you better man up to the occasion.

They are the only circumstances where I use the phrase because more often then not, it needs to be said to get things going.

I'll disregard the last bit about testosterone because I made no reference to it at all either intentionally or otherwise.

I kind of agree with you Mango. Those kind of comments used to drive me beyond crazy. There are better ways of telling someone to grow up, but being told to 'Man up' seems more like an attack on ones character more so, than general behaviour.

Is this directed at me or is it rhetorical? I assume it's the latter.

No being fearful and hiding away from it but complaining, letting it dictate your life and still not doing anything about it requires a kick up the ass and a push to get to where you want to go.
    I have no time for people who want things and go on about how unfair things are yet don't try to do anything at all to fix it. I believe nothing is safe and comfortable and you have to make big pushes to get where you want to go. That's not easy, but if you want it bad enough, you better man up to the occasion.

They are the only circumstances where I use the phrase because more often then not, it needs to be said to get things going.

I'll disregard the last bit about testosterone because I made no reference to it at all either intentionally or otherwise.

Does a women, woman up or man up then when she wants something or is struggling? :-)

Does a women, woman up or man up then when she wants something or is struggling? :-)

I don't mean it as anything specifically gender based, but I wouldn't be as inclined to say it to a woman. It's just a "get your **** together, toughen up and stop complaining" phrase. But it's actually more effective at getting your point through to that person as apposed to saying those things individually.

I don't mean it as anything specifically gender based, but I wouldn't be as inclined to say it to a woman. It's just a "get your **** together, toughen up and stop complaining" phrase. But it's actually more effective at getting your point through to that person as apposed to saying those things individually.

I suppose it's open to interpretation but I see it as an attempt to emasculate males, who don't conform to gender stereotypes, get your sh*t together is a bit different than that. The stop complaining part is a whole different subject with me and far to big for this thread :)

I suppose it's open to interpretation but I see it as an attempt to emasculate males, who don't conform to gender stereotypes, get your sh*t together is a bit different than that. The stop complaining part is a whole different subject with me and far to big for this thread :)

I do interpret it in a different way to the norm and it's not really my intension to throw down on their manliness, but if it's a last resort and someone won't see sense I'll fire it off to them.
    I think it's best to leave the rest be, I'm done with arguments around this place :p

I do interpret it in a different way to the norm and it's not really my intension to throw down on their manliness, but if it's a last resort and someone won't see sense I'll fire it off to them.
    I think it's best to leave the rest be, I'm done with arguments around this place :p

I wasn't trying to pick an argument. I was trying to open up a discussion about why I personally feel those terms are inappropiate because they place a judgement on a persons manhood and masculinity. To me it also undermines a person and tells them they are not good enough.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Off topic thread;

The weather is looking good for Friday - Sunday! Timed perfectly as the kids go back to school. Any plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Off topic thread;

The weather is looking good for Friday - Sunday! Timed perfectly as the kids go back to school. Any plans?

Was hoping for some time out on my own, away from the other half! So I could walk, knit, meditate (sleep.)

Had arranged to house sit animal farm for a couple of friends....
    A Bull dog, A lab
    1 Hen with 3chicks,
    5 cats
    and a rabbit.

Plans fell through, couldnt get the boys to leave the farm!

• Advertisement

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Off topic thread;

Timed perfectly for Electric picnic :D

Advertisement