Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Everyone seems to think that X-Factor is fixed, but I have to disagree.

It's still ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Yeah I'd pick Jade out of the three of them too ;) The other two annoy me and wouldn't be my type at all.

What do the lads in here think of Rylan? :pac:

Kill him with fire.

But then again, he's doing a good enough job of that himself with all the flaming :rolleyes: :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭lazorgirl

am loving cover shot of Natasha naked & carrying man around her shoulders; really powerful & sensual image. also check out photographer ryan mcginleys website for his Reach Out, I'm here series of really naturalistic skin revealing shots of men & women.
    maybe its me being single again but i seem to be in a heightened state of awareness for appreciation of the beauty of female and male bodies, my own included. roll on the weekend...
    really like video for "Laura" too

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

lazorgirl wrote: »
    am loving cover shot of Natasha naked & carrying man around her shoulders; really powerful & sensual image. also check out photographer ryan mcginleys website for his Reach Out, I'm here series of really naturalistic skin revealing shots of men & women.
    maybe its me being single again but i seem to be in a heightened state of awareness for appreciation of the beauty of female and male bodies, my own included. roll on the weekend...
    really like video for "Laura" too

Class album cover, checked out the website too and there's some great shots on there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭lazorgirl

Class album cover, checked out the website too and there's some great shots on there :)
    think i will be adding Ryan McGinleys book Whistle for the Wind to my christmas list. would love to afford his prints but they go for 1000's.
    will just have to get to work on recreating on my own shots! wonder where i can source a coyote, lemur, peacock, porcupine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So f ucking angry -

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

So f ucking angry -

Oh no :( :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I'm having a relaxing/boring weekend so far. No money to go out and I'm in my final year of college now so feel like I shouldn't be out boozing as much :pac:

What are everyone else's plans?

Having been away all summer in what seems to be heaven :D, I'm a bit blue being back in a city with no lesbians :( :P
    So f ucking angry -

What's up?

Having been away all summer in what seems to be heaven :D, I'm a bit blue being back in a city with no lesbians :( :P

Which city?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Which city?? :)

I'm in Dublin which, granted is better than anywhere else in Ireland for LGBT I'm sure, but it still sucks :mad: :p

• Advertisement

One of my older cousins is diving deeper into drink and is in a very bad way. I know he's gay, but I haven't a clue what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KDII

It terrifies me how I literally worship the ground my girlfriend walks on but I can be so so horrible to her.

1ZRed wrote: »
    One of my older cousins is diving deeper into drink and is in a very bad way. I know he's gay, but I haven't a clue what to do.

Unfortunately not much except let him know your there for him!

stephen_n wrote: »
    Unfortunately not much except let him know your there for him!

He's never said he's gay but I know well he is. He's fairly easy to read.

There's nothing I can do I suppose because he's got some major issues because of it. Shame because for a guy with so much potential all he does is drown himself in drink.

1ZRed wrote: »
    He's never said he's gay but I know well he is. He's fairly easy to read.

There's nothing I can do I suppose because he's got some major issues because of it. Shame because for a guy with so much potential all he does is drown himself in drink.

You can show him that being gay isn't that really a big issue and also that you are there for support if he needs and wants it

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Sigh

Another pfo letter

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Pfo letter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

tell them you didn't really want the gig anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I'm guessing it means "please fúck off".... Though, I'm not 100% sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

DazMarz wrote: »
    I'm guessing it means "please fúck off".... Though, I'm not 100% sure.
    That was my assumption, and my assumption was employment, but I've never heard the phrase before in that manner.

• Advertisement

I was thinking politely **** off!

Sorry yes

Employment rejection letter

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I could insulate a house with all the PFO letters I've received throughout the years. I wouldn't dwell on it too much, instead I'd just hit the ground running. What's your primary degree? I could send you an example of a CV.

When writing a CV, you need to include the facts, but you also need an element of creativity that makes you more appealing to an employer. I suppose, I've picked up some usefull tips and tricks having landed 3 jobs in the space of 6 months.

Itzy wrote: »
    I could insulate a house with all the PFO letters I've received throughout the years. I wouldn't dwell on it too much, instead I'd just hit the ground running. What's your primary degree? I could send you an example of a CV.

When writing a CV, you need to include the facts, but you also need an element of creativity that makes you more appealing to an employer. I suppose, I've picked up some usefull tips and tricks having landed 3 jobs in the space of 6 months.

My CV is complicated

I have a degree and employment experience totally unrelated to the work I'm applying for

I have a masters and tons of voluntary experience related to the work I'm applying for

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Well, what you do is disregard the employment that bears no relavence to the role you're applying for. The only reason you would include it, is to show or prove you have experience in one particular job function, as long as it relates to the job you are applying for.
    Description:

The primary task will be DBA duties including installations, performance tuning, database optimisation, back-ups and recoveries on primarily SQL databases. Key Responsibilities: Execute the job function in a professional manner to effectively support the above responsibilities. Represent the IS department in cross-functional teams. Provide regular status updates to the IS manager on current issues/projects. Participate in the day to day IS support activities. Provide support and maintenance for current Applications. Provide functional backup to other IS functions e.g. systems administration etc. Ability to write stored procedures and perform development tasks is essential. All other duties/responsibilities as defined by the IS Manager.

So, the above is an example of an IT job offering 25k per year. How I would plan my cv:
    <<Name>>

<<Address>>

<<Relavent Education and Dates Achieved>>
    - <<Thesis Title/Project>>
    - <<Brief Description>>

<<Previous Employment or Voluntary Work, Dates and Job Functions>>
    - <<Job/Role>>
    - <<Brief Description of your Job>>

You need to prove you have the experience and are the right fit for the role.
    Skills Requirements

Excellent Project Management and Time Management skills. Excellent communication Skills both written and verbal. The ability to interface with Senior Management and make presentations or deliver training courses when necessary. Facilitation skills and a sound understanding of team dynamics. A motivated individual with focus and discipline. An achievement oriented self-starter with excellent problem solving skills.

With skills requirements, I would add a section to employment or voluntary based work to show I am competant in with months/years experience also. To spice up your CV just alittle more, you could add a section to education, that provides a project or thesis title and brief outline plus acquired skills.

Just a few final points: Add your interests and hobbies, with a brief description also. Employers love to interview people who have the confidence to ellaborate further on their experience and hobbies. Try to include interests that involves team work.

References, offer to provide them, but never give them until you are asked. It will ensure an employer has to follow up with you.

Cover letter, it's essentially your own words, outlining why you are suitable for what they are offering.

And to finish off, regarding money, never bring it up until they discuss a wage.

Sorry if I come across as condescending. Those are just some points, I've developed from my time submitting CVs and attending interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Jebus it's cold! My weather app says its -1 outside, which "feels like -6"!!!!

And on an unrelated point, my hamster seems to be running a marathon on her wheel this evening. All I can hear is her tiny feet pattering away! It's actually pretty cute to listen to!!!

Heineken is like lighter fluid to me tonight!

Fvck in hell if ever there was a way to get the ride out of me it's that :P

My 15 year old daughter, asked me last night, "why can't people just accept others for who they are, gay, black or whatever" I love the innocence of the notion, pity it's something that can't be transplanted. Maybe we just give up trying to run the world and let kids and aspirational teenagers have a go!

24 separate ballots on this local LA paper

This must be a massive stimulus to the US printing industry and there must be hundreds of thousands of trees felled just for printing the promotional literature

http://lavote.net/locator/ballot%5C791%5C183.PDF

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Just thought I'd bump this for the chat again. Polished off a bottle of white wine and 2 glasses of West Coast.

Advertisement