Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Oh my god, my €90 bottle of Jo Malone perfume spilt in my bag on the train. All gone! Was a gift to myself bought with a voucher. I'm so furious and gutted at the same time!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Oh my god, my €90 bottle of Jo Malone perfume spilt in my bag on the train. All gone! Was a gift to myself bought with a voucher. I'm so furious and gutted at the same time!!!!!

Now everytime you're going on you'll need to pop whatever you're wearing into the bag for a few hours ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Your bag will smell nice at least

1ZRed wrote: »
    Your bag will smell nice at least

Its not even my handbag, just a travel bag. So mad at myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

My daughter was thought on her retreat today, that gays are fine as long as they don't act on their gayness and the gays that do act on it are deeply unhappy and can be cured of their gayness with the help of god. To say I'm ****ing livid wouldn't come close to describing it. This is what our school system offers, hate filled lies, by bigoted, repressed people. At the best of times I try to tolerate the Catholic Church at times like these, I think extermination is the only way forward. The headmaster of her school will be getting a visit tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I can't believe that sort of craic goes on in this Country. I expected it of he US, but not here. I hope that by the time I have children old enough for school, that there are non-denominational schools to choose from.

As far as I'm aware there is only one non denominational senior school on the southside of Dublin. The people running the retreat were mostly American and Canadian but the one who said that was Irish! I will be going through the headmaster for a shortcut tomorrow. I can only imagine how and young lesbian would feel hearing that hate filled BS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

*facepalm*

The moment your laptop charger gives up when you've got your one and only word processed assignment due

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Man I've been so lazy the past week and a half. I've done NO exercise whatsoever for a change. Maybe it's a good thing I don't own a car or I'd drive everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

stephen_n wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware there is only one non denominational senior school on the southside of Dublin. The people running the retreat were mostly American and Canadian but the one who said that was Irish! I will be going through the headmaster for a shortcut tomorrow. I can only imagine how and young lesbian would feel hearing that hate filled BS!

A lot of the schools with so called Protestant ethos are in practice as good as non-denominational. A school my friend with went to one and there were Protestants, Catholics and Muslims at it but in practice most students were probably non-practicing/atheist and religion wasn't emphasised apart from the odd prayer every now and again!

A lot of the schools with so called Protestant ethos are in practice as good as non-denominational. A school my friend with went to one and there were Protestants, Catholics and Muslims at it but in practice most students were probably non-practicing/atheist and religion wasn't emphasised apart from the odd prayer every now and again!

My kids both went to COI national schools and yes the ethos is better but the senior schools related to them are all fee paying!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

228473.jpg

Our new cat Nalla, only 8 weeks! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Wow.

Protests re Savita tonight in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick and London,

Protest tomorrow in Belfast

vigils on Saturday in Dublin, Galway, Limerick

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Wow.

Protests re Savita tonight in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick and London,

Protest tomorrow in Belfast

vigils on Saturday in Dublin, Galway, Limerick

Sligo too - https://www.facebook.com/events/261988813924324/

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KDII

My finals are one month away and I have just discovered Tumblr. It's actually fine though I didn't want a career, source of income or future anyway. I'll just continue to sit here looking at pictures of L word characters, GIFs with Miranda Hart quotes and instagrammed sunsets with motivational/heartbreak quotes written on them. So much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

stephen_n wrote: »

My kids both went to COI national schools and yes the ethos is better but the senior schools related to them are all fee paying!

How did you get on with the school Stephen?

kiwipower wrote: »
    How did you get on with the school Stephen?

Headmaster said he would investigate it and that was not a Christian viewpoint or the schools. They will not use them again if the people running it admit to holding those views! Could be just the opinions of one single facilitator but they need to be more careful about who they are allowing access to.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

That sounds quite positive from the principal. Will be interesting to see if he comes back to you or if they admit to it!
    Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Is anyone on here a pansexual? There seems to be little in the way of support. For years I thought I was bi but as it turns out, pansexual seems to suit me better as I don't regard gender as a defining factor in my relationships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

McChubbin wrote: »
    Is anyone on here a pansexual? There seems to be little in the way of support. For years I thought I was bi but as it turns out, pansexual seems to suit me better as I don't regard gender as a defining factor in my relationships.

I'm not too sure. I'm mostly straight, but I've definitely been turned on by girls before. Usually in more emotionally close moments, like holding hands and that. I'm not too sure what the definition of pansexual is versus bisexual, but I don't have a problem with the idea of getting with anyone, be they male, female, genderqueer, whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Marvellous thread in After Hours about Gay Marriage... nothing like a thread about gay/lesbian issues to bring the bigots and homophobes crawling out of the woodwork...:mad:

But then again, it is After Hours... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KDII

DazMarz wrote: »
    Marvellous thread in After Hours about Gay Marriage... nothing like a thread about gay/lesbian issues to bring the bigots and homophobes crawling out of the woodwork.

I started reading that too but had to just close it. As much as I would love to see a gay marriage referendum I would probably have to leave the country in the run up to it to avoid the debate/"expert opinion"/baby Jesus hates you discourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭libnation

KDII wrote: »

I started reading that too but had to just close it. As much as I would love to see a gay marriage referendum I would probably have to leave the country in the run up to it to avoid the debate/"expert opinion"/baby Jesus hates you discourse.

I saw some gay posters I've never seen before in that thread and thought 'why aren't they posting in the lgbt forum'. Then I realised I never post here or anywhere for that matter (lurker alert!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Marvellous thread in After Hours about Gay Marriage... nothing like a thread about gay/lesbian issues to bring the bigots and homophobes crawling out of the woodwork...:mad:

But then again, it is After Hours... :P

it came in the home page as having recent posts - never been to AH before, so I thought of having a look. After two pages I lost the plot and gave up. . . Their poll (around the 1000 voters mark) shows an 80+% in favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

See, the poll results will restore some faith in humanity a little. But then you read some of the bigoted shíte that is being spewed. The only thing is, that all those religious/fundamentalist/conservative whack-jobs are being shown up for exactly what they are; when pressed to provide a reason why they're against same-sex marriage, they fall back on the same tired arguments that mean nothing.

I seriously think that some people should not be allowed to vote until they've passed an IQ test!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

See, the poll results will restore some faith in humanity a little. But then you read some of the bigoted shíte that is being spewed. The only thing is, that all those religious/fundamentalist/conservative whack-jobs are being shown up for exactly what they are; when pressed to provide a reason why they're against same-sex marriage, they fall back on the same tired arguments that mean nothing.

I seriously think that some people should not be allowed to vote until they've passed an IQ test!

Tbh I never trust anything in AH. I reckon way more than half the posts are lies or trolls, people almost saying the exact opposite of what they think just be get thanks or reactions. Because when an actual serious thread comes up people get really decent, the same people who two threads ago were calling for all women to get boob jobs! You know? Forget pinch of salt, you need a salt MINE in there!!!

Nearly got into an argument with my mum over the Savita case, I just don't bother talking about my views at home, our views are far too divided to ever agree and it just gets personal. Her thoughts were "Every country has their traditions." Right. I just responded: "Church and state should be separate." And left the room. #Countryfamilylife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sigh - love/hate

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Right. I just responded: "Church and state should be separate." And left the room. #Countryfamilylife

The State should have never intermingled with the Church in the first place. I do imagine in the early days of Ireland, Clergy were trustworthy members of society.
    Sigh - love/hate

Love/Hate the emotion or is it a TV show?

Advertisement