Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭kingfisherdove

This is a bit irrelevent to this but might make yee laugh and I'm sure ye've seen the most recent one it's at the end of this video but poor Aengus, he can never get it right :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_yrQVGDRpc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I wouldn't say that he never gets it right. He's probably one of the best, most professional newsreaders that RTE has. So he had a couple of gaffes in the past while. And thanks to YouTube and the likes, the footage gets seen by far more people than it would have in the past.

And in fairness, this latest "gaffe" was not his fault at all. He was obviously not meant to be on air at those moments. Every newsreader wears make up to look their best under the studio lights. He wanted to make sure he looked well and professional. Then some idiot in the control room cut to him before he was supposed to.

It was hysterical, at the same time. The moment of realisation, followed by that indignant and disbelieving "What?!" was just too priceless.

Every newsreader makes a gaffe every once in a while. He's not alone. He's just had a couple of high-profile ones in the past month and for that he's being pilloried.

At the same time... I'm going to watch RTE News a lot more now, just to see if there are any more slip-ups

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Love is the drug, how true. No other drug has the anesthetic quality required, to make us risk commitment, knowing only to well the pain that comes with ending. Humans are very complex but preservation of the self is paramount in most of our actions, not so with love. In love we openly court the risk of damage to that sense of self, in connection to another, comes beauty and risk in equal measure. Perhaps this is why loss of love, entails such pain, as it incorporates a loss of self, or damage to what is core to us all. In time this will be forgotton but till then, the emotional raincoat for life of hardened cynicism must be donned again, to cover and protect the wounded self, only love is powerful enough a sedative to make that pain slip in to obscurity once again, to allow us take the risk. Today I'm drug free, so I slip on that coat absorb the pain and hope that this won't be the time that anesthetic no longer works.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Had to start treatment for Bipolar again yesterday. After a few years of being off treatment, I'm back on medication and hoping it kicks in soon. Anyone else ever have experience with such a condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

If you're on lithium, try not to do start-stop with it. Its potency becomes markedly reduced if you stop taking it. Also, cutting out stimulants (alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, fast sugars) will help loads. Regular bedtime/waking-up-time too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Well I haven't been put on Lithium yet. It's only my second day on Prozit. I'm feeling extremely tired and I'm thinking, the medication can't be having an effect already, as I'm usually in a highly excitable mood at this hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Hey Itzy, hope you feel better soon. It's not bipolar but in terms of metal health I was diagnosed with BPD after a long spell of extremely **** behaviour. I had previously been diagnosed with manic depression (wrongly) so it was a case of starting the entire process again. Its a huge kick in the teeth to feel like you're back to square one with mental health. But the benefits of treatment return a lot more positives then the rut you're stuck in without.
    Chin up,

Rise x

I hope I can get back on track soon with further treatment soon and finally find my feet. I've suffered from it for years and thought I was doing well without medication for a long time, but that was not the case.

Out of curiousity, how would you treat Borderline Personality Disorder? I can imagine CBT wouldn't help.

CBT is far from ideal, DBT is the best from of threpay but not readily available here at all. So I do CBT every other week as a compromise

CBT is the best thing for BPD. Antidepressants or indeed antipsychotics only keep a lid on things while you recover. Talk therapy is what really helps in the end.

Back to bipolar, I'm a little surprised they have you on antidepressants Itzy. Now I'm no psychologist, but I've heard that people with bipolar risk getting hypomanic if they take them. Obviously there's a whole spectrum out there, but I'd have thought that lithium would've been the first port of call. How do you find the antidepressants?

• Advertisement

RiseToMe wrote: »
    CBT is far from ideal, DBT is the best from of threpay but not readily available here at all. So I do CBT every other week as a compromise
    Hmm yeah, scratch my previous comment about CBT being the best thing. I still can't believe that there is no DBT available here. It's a joke tbh.

I don't mind in all honesty being on anti-depressants, as long as I'm not sitting around too long without some form of mood stabiliser. My ups aren't the worst though. Now, if they medication I'm on starts making the ups worse, I'll have to go straight back to my GP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Can I ask what DBT is? I have heard of and am a bit (I stress the smallness of that bit) trained from my social work training in CBT.

On an unrelated note I am DETERMINED to get my findings chapter of my thesis written and emailed to my supervisor tonight. I've been avoiding her for a fortnight and you know you need to really just suck it up when you're tempted to turn off emails on your phone so you don't have to know if she emails you demanding to see some work... :o

To which end I need some motivation. I have decided that tonights theme tune is this delightful piece of silliness. It gets bonus points for lyrics and pretty ladies in shimmery silver 'dresses'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

In my fridge there is tomato and apple chutney, christmas chutney, apple chutney, apple and walnut chutney, beetroot chutney, spicy peach chutney, mango chutney and homemade grape chutney!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

In my fridge there is tomato and apple chutney, christmas chutney, apple chutney, apple and walnut chutney, beetroot chutney, spicy peach chutney, mango chutney and homemade grape chutney!

But no salsa?

1ZRed wrote: »

But no salsa?

BAZINGA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Is it wrong that I feel a huge amount of support for France and the fact that they're fighting against Islamic fundamentalists in Mali? I personally hope the French mop the floor with those despicable terrorists, but I got slated for it today when talking about it.

Fair enough, Western countries rattling the sabre at the Islamic world isn't the most pleasant thing going, but I think in this case it is a seriously good thing. And I don't think France will be like the USA; they will probably do it for the good of Mali to remove the fundamentalists, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

"Find the Man of Your Dreams" ad at the top of the forum for me to see...

Just FedEx me the one on the left :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭HelpImAlive

"Find the Man of Your Dreams" ad at the top of the forum for me to see...

Just FedEx me the one on the left :D

Can't see it so I can't judge on this one.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KDII

396048_536865009664569_1323488152_n.jpg

Advert from Co. Wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Clever marketing in a year that wedding bookings are down 50% lots triskaidekaphobics out there. But fair play to them anyway!

stephen_n wrote: »
    triskaidekaphobics

Literally going to use this word every single day until 2014.

Day 6 on Prozit/Prozac and I'm starting to feel a bit better. Can't say if it's a placebo effect, as I've known for along time now that I need this sort of help. The feeling is almost as starting hormones.

You wont see the real benefits for a few months. Stick with it Itzy, try not to become disillusioned with the whole thing. I also cant stress enough how abstaining from alcohol and caffeine, as well as keeping a regular bedtime will aid your recovery.

Two more essays submitted! *high five*

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Two more essays submitted! *high five*

I'm knee deep in clunge constructivism.

^ pmsl

Niiiiice strike out there!

KDII wrote: »
    I'm knee deep in clunge constructivism.

Bleurgh. I have 10 weeks until my thesis hand in date. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ugh just had a mini mental breakdown because I forgot to state my research method on my cover sheet.

Panic averted thankfully as there's the resubmit button.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Bleurgh. I have 10 weeks until my thesis hand in date. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I have 3 weeks for my research assignment I haven't even started...:eek:

Advertisement