Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Very adorable. I love it.

If I hear ONE MORE THING about the wrectched Pope resigning I'm going to stab someone in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

If I hear ONE MORE THING about the wrectched Pope resigning I'm going to stab someone in the face.

Eh... Eff the pope. (By Tim Minchin.)
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I know what you mean, my mum called me to tell me the news, and my family isn't even remotely religious! I don't really get why it's such big news :confused:

I know what you mean, my mum called me to tell me the news, and my family isn't even remotely religious! I don't really get why it's such big news :confused:

There's a live blog on the Rte News site about it.

A live blog.

Seriously.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

There's a live blog on the Rte News site about it.

A live blog.

Seriously.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Slow news day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

This is Catholic country, of course it's going to be big news. Just because you're not a Catholic/practicing Catholic doesn't mean it shouldn't be covered.

Personally, I'm finding all the Facebook jokes entertaining anyway :pac:

This is Catholic country, of course it's going to be big news. Just because you're not a Catholic/practicing Catholic doesn't mean it shouldn't be covered.

I have no issue with it being covered, of course I don't. I just think that the sheer volume of coverage being given over to it is unnecessary. I mean in all fairness, once we know he's resigned and there'll be a new one, why does the coverage need to keep bleating on about it, doing vox pops on the street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Ah no, I feel like Father Jack at lent hearing "this is a catholic country", Don't tell
    me I'm still on that feckin' island!

I have no issue with it being covered, of course I don't. I just think that the sheer volume of coverage being given over to it is unnecessary. I mean in all fairness, once we know he's resigned and there'll be a new one, why does the coverage need to keep bleating on about it, doing vox pops on the street?

Sorry b&c, I'm not having a go at you or anything I'm just not getting the confusion about this. When something major like this happens (in terms of it's a major news story in the Catholic world and this country is still 90% Catholic), it's not going to be mentioned one day on the news for 10 minutes and then forgotton about. Media have a habit of covering things like this to death.

• Advertisement

Sorry b&c, I'm not having a go at you or anything I'm just not getting the confusion about this. When something major like this happens (in terms of it's a major news story in the Catholic world and this country is still 90% Catholic), it's not going to be mentioned one day on the news for 10 minutes and then forgotton about. Media have a habit of covering things like this to death.

Ah yeah, I know. It's just I fail to see the reason for the almost hysteria that seems to have happened today! Plus I have to be fair and fully disclose that I am in a truly FOUL humour and have been all day, and tbh the news medias obsession with what an 85 year old man does or doesn't do is just highly irritating to me right now!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭Cosmic Maybe

Ah yeah, I know. It's just I fail to see the reason for the almost hysteria that seems to have happened today! Plus I have to be fair and fully disclose that I am in a truly FOUL humour and have been all day, and tbh the news medias obsession with what an 85 year old man does or doesn't do is just highly irritating to me right now!!! :pac:

The reason for all the hysteria is because he's the first pope to resign since 1415. I also think that people are genuinely interested not just the media - it's number 1 on the Irish Times most read stories list.

There's also the conspiracy theory side to it too, especially when you consider that he claims to be retiring for health issues even though the last one kept going till he died despite being crippled with parkinsons disease. I think people smell something fishy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

We're not a Catholic country though.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Agreed - RTE sent 3 broadcasters to Rome tonight - way OTT

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Agreed - RTE sent 3 broadcasters to Rome tonight - way OTT

I saw a tweet from one of them on the rte site. It was basically a picture of The Basillica from really far away. It looks like the campanile in trinity with a carpark in front of it.

????

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The fact that RTE barely managed to cover Prom night but can dedicate so much time to this, speaks volumes about the mindset of our state broadcaster!

We're not a Catholic country though.

The Catholic religion is the overwhelming majority in this country. That is what I meant. Whether they are "a la carté" Catholics or not is besides the point, as long as the census reads the way it does, this is a Catholic country as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

In other news, Happy Birthday Boards.ie! 15 years on the go today!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

That's right, Boards is 15. I was 12 when it started and no net connection :(

Itzy wrote: »
    That's right, Boards is 15. I was 12 when it started and no net connection :(

I was 10 and with no internet either. The ninety's were the dark ages for us:pac:

• Advertisement

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

The reason for all the hysteria is because he's the first pope to resign since 1415. I also think that people are genuinely interested not just the media - it's number 1 on the Irish Times most read stories list.
    !

I have been following it and while I still refer to myself as Catholic, I am more of a non-attending Catholic. 3 of us at work, all of us aged 25, not regular mass goers, and yet it has been our lunchtime conversation the last 2 days. A lot of people on here may not refer to themselves as Catholic, but a lot of people worldwide do (approx. 1 billion people I believe). Their spiritual leader resigning is a big deal. Come on, it's even been the main storyline on Al Jazeera the last 2 days!

There's a new survey to fill in in the surveys thread above

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭ewan whose army

Davyhal wrote: »
    I have been following it and while I still refer to myself as Catholic, I am more of a non-attending Catholic. 3 of us at work, all of us aged 25, not regular mass goers, and yet it has been our lunchtime conversation the last 2 days. A lot of people on here may not refer to themselves as Catholic, but a lot of people worldwide do (approx. 1 billion people I believe). Their spiritual leader resigning is a big deal. Come on, it's even been the main storyline on Al Jazeera the last 2 days!

Even the BBC made as much fuss over it, and there are only 8% Catholics in the UK (I think there are more Muslims than Catholics now)
    But less than 1/2 are seen as Christian now, I am certainly not one anymore

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Lost my job in IBM today. Not to worry though, have an interview Monday for a new role in Microsoft :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Lost my job in IBM today. Not to worry though, have an interview Monday for a new role in Microsoft :P

Sorry to hear that :( Hope the interview on Monday goes well!

Corporate defection, what?:cool:

A bird shat on my head today. That's meant to be lucky isn't it?

Terry Pratchet

Did you do the lotto Mango? I'll split it with you if you win :P

• Advertisement

Did you do the lotto Mango? I'll split it with you if you win :P

Deal - 99% split for me/1% for you

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement