Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off-Topic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

diddlybit wrote: »

I warn you though, it makes for very cringey watching, aside from the NSFwatching-with-your-mother scenes, there's a lot of sterotypical tokenism.

I bet you lol'd when Whitney arrived over at SADAAAAH's house with the toolbox!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just wondering, anyone whose ever been to the ladybirds group in Dublin, can they tell me exactly what building its in? Don't fancy asking in a shop where they hold the lesbian group and I'm not used to the area and I'm worried there will be no number on the door. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Just wondering, anyone whose ever been to the ladybirds group in Dublin, can they tell me exactly what building its in? Don't fancy asking in a shop where they hold the lesbian group and I'm not used to the area and I'm worried there will be no number on the door. :P

Outhouse on Capel St.

Info here

But it says parliament street? Is that info out of date? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

But it says parliament street? Is that info out of date? :)

Normally Parliament St., but believe me, that place is hard to find for newcomers. Better to go to Outhouse earlier in the day and see if anyone there is heading over, tag along. If not, you'll get better directions than I can give from Carlow ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

Did anyone else watch Terry Pratchett's documentary on assisted suicide? I do agree with euthanasia (for people with long-term or terminal illnesses anyway, I'm not so sure about those who are 'weary of life) but it still reduced me to hysterical tears. I haven't been that affected by a piece of tv in a while...

I did, it was a nicely done documentary. I did a module at college about Death (I always pick the cheery option) and we talked a lot about euthanasia, suicide, and the concept of 'a good death'. To be honest, the documentary did the opposite of what I thought it would. I was fairly well sat in the 'for' assisted death camp until I saw the scene where the man ends his life. It turned it out of an abstract concept and reminded me how there is this thinly present abhorrent quality to someone dying, and it struck me how against human nature it is to kill oneself, even if for the right reasons. I find myself leaning away from it for some reason, even though it is a logical and practical solution to a very real, painful and tragic problem. It also made me hope that I'll never have to make the sort of choice Sir Terry has to make right now. :(

hare05 wrote: »
    Normally Parliament St., but believe me, that place is hard to find for newcomers. Better to go to Outhouse earlier in the day and see if anyone there is heading over, tag along. If not, you'll get better directions than I can give from Carlow ;)

Cool, just was looking at google maps and nothing looked like somewhere it would be so outhouse first sounds like a good idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

AndrewJD wrote: »
    I did, it was a nicely done documentary. I did a module at college about Death (I always pick the cheery option) and we talked a lot about euthanasia, suicide, and the concept of 'a good death'. To be honest, the documentary did the opposite of what I thought it would. I was fairly well sat in the 'for' assisted death camp until I saw the scene where the man ends his life. It turned it out of an abstract concept and reminded me how there is this thinly present abhorrent quality to someone dying, and it struck me how against human nature it is to kill oneself, even if for the right reasons. I find myself leaning away from it for some reason, even though it is a logical and practical solution to a very real, painful and tragic problem. It also made me hope that I'll never have to make the sort of choice Sir Terry has to make right now. :(

I'm still in 'for' camp but I think showing the mans death at the end was a bad choice. I can understand why Terry Pratchett would want to witness it but broadcasting it will probably hinder the process of legalising it. People who are against it will probably have their views reinforced after witnessing that and 'for' or on the fence could react like you (which isn't a bad thing). Personally I couldn't watch that scene. I tried but ended up turning over because it was just too much for me. Apparently he took home Dignitas application forms with him after recording it although he's still unsure of whether to go through with it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭apache

poor old terry p.
    i will never forget his brilliant vivid fantastical mind that brought the discworld series of books into my world.
    i think i still have every single one of them. must reread them.
    i forgot to watch it.

I'm still in 'for' camp but I think showing the mans death at the end was a bad choice. I can understand why Terry Pratchett would want to witness it but broadcasting it will probably hinder the process of legalising it. People who are against it will probably have their views reinforced after witnessing that and 'for' or on the fence could react like you (which isn't a bad thing). Personally I couldn't watch that scene. I tried but ended up turning over because it was just too much for me. Apparently he took home Dignitas application forms with him after recording it although he's still unsure of whether to go through with it or not.

Yeah, it was really only as the gentleman was actually dying that I felt a bit swayed. I'm amazed but a bit pleased that they actually recorded and broadcasted it. You've got to have loads of respect for the man to agree to lay himself bare (metaphorically) like that during his actual death. It gave the documentary a real edge to it I don't think it would otherwise have. It's also good that there wasn't really an agenda to it. It was assisted death, warts and all. I'm still in the 'for' camp though, like yourself.

It'll be a sad day when we lose TP, I've always enjoyed his work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

hey, just thought some of you might be interested in visiting my lovely home town for this the July bank holiday weekend. Specifically just so you can dress up like a pirate and help us break a Guinness world record :o

Kanoe wrote: »
    hey, just thought some of you might be interested in visiting my lovely home town for this the July bank holiday weekend. Specifically just so you can dress up like a pirate and help us break a Guinness world record :o

I do love pirates and Waterford...if I'm not working I might head down.

This is my internet moment of the day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4

Obv nyan cat is getting a bit old now, but LOOK AT THE PROGRESS BAR :'D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

This is my internet moment of the day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4

Obv nyan cat is getting a bit old now, but LOOK AT THE PROGRESS BAR :'D
    And that is all kinds of amazing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Obv nyan cat is getting a bit old now

LIES!
    Nyan cat will NEVER get old! :D

*starts nyanning*

Anyone else see the video of the pride flash mob in Grafton Street?
    It's very.... how do I put this.... camp :p
    http://vimeo.com/25258618

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Awww! That's really cute! Wish I'd taken part :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

PJelly wrote: »

Funny I don't think that's camp but well choreographed :-) fair play to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

PJelly wrote: »

When you said camp I feared the worst.....but that was actually pretty well done.

When you said camp I feared the worst.....but that was actually pretty well done.
    Suppose it was just the whole Kylie thing. And the strange hugging bit that made me cringe a little :p
    But I thought it was great, I love how as soon as it ends, it's like "Pride team, disassemble!" and they all just melt into the crowd.

• Advertisement

That was really well done, loved it.

I've always wanted to take part in a flash mob. Don't suppose there's one for Galway pride?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

That was really well done, loved it.

I've always wanted to take part in a flash mob. Don't suppose there's one for Galway pride?

We could always do our own :p I'd do it for the craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Well yesterday I received the first pre-release review of my novel from an actual real-life reviewer. I was expecting the worst possible reaction but it was actually alright :eek: Four years ago when I was a suicidal, nervous wreck I never thought I'd be here. It really does get better. I'm unemployed, single, relatively broke, mostly friendless and hysterically cynical but right now I'm on top of the world.

:)

We could always do our own :p I'd do it for the craic.

I would love to but I odn't know if I'd actually have the time to organise one right now. :/ I'd say it takes a lot of work.

Oh ffs. I finally find someone I'm interested in who likes me back and it turns out she's younger than I thought. I'm still gonna go for it 'cause age isn't really a big deal for me and it's stupid to throw something away over something so minor but still, nothing can ever go smoothly, can it? If the person in question happens to be on boards, seriously it's not an issue. It's just my love life always end up getting stupidly complicated somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

How much younger is younger than you thought?

How much younger is younger than you thought?

Four years. It's not too big a gap but I originally thought there was only a one year gap so I was just caught off guard really. I'm being a hypocrite really 'cause if she were fours years older than ,e I wouldn't be bothered at all.

Four years. It's not too big a gap but I originally thought there was only a one year gap so I was just caught off guard really. I'm being a hypocrite really 'cause if she were fours years older than ,e I wouldn't be bothered at all.

Did she lie to you or was it just a misunderstanding? If its the latter you might as well give it a go for a little while. I'm permanently overestimating peoples age and then there's the horrible holy **** they just turned 15 moment :S

Did she lie to you or was it just a misunderstanding? If its the latter you might as well give it a go for a little while. I'm permanently overestimating peoples age and then there's the horrible holy **** they just turned 15 moment :S

Well first it was a misunderstanding. Then she said she was sixteen (which she will be soon). I was annoyed first but after talking to her a bit more I can tell she was just really afraid I'd stop talking to her if I knew her real age. also she told me she fifteen like an hour later so it's not like she kept me going for ages.

Haha same

Sometimes I feel like Mr Herbert off Family Guy :P I don't know...the difference between 19 and 15 is much bigger than the one between 19 and 23. :S

• Advertisement

Sometimes I feel like Mr Herbert off Family Guy :P I don't know...the difference between 19 and 15 is much bigger than the one between 19 and 23. :S

Ah well I'll just have to see how it goes. she does seem mature for her age. If it doesn't work it doesn't work and if it does it does. Dear God I need state the obvious quite a lot. It's like the time I walked into the cold room in work and though 'God it's cold in here'.

Advertisement