Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I just noticed Netflix Gay and Lesbian section is now titled LGBTQ.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I honestly did not expect to see this but I'm very impressed.

The Prime Minister of Serbia marched in the Belgrade Pride parade today. It's really encouraging to see this. Ana Brnabic is openly gay and she faced opposition from the more conservative politicians when she was elected. Serbia had a pretty poor reputation for LGBT rights in the past, I really hope this is a turning point.

Well done to Ana!

And her bodyguard wearing the cap, OMFG!! :D

c4e5fdceed66ca41a2767fcea3d359fe6a4df824.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Her appointment was of questionable democracy, but she's certainly forcing LGBT rights and discrimination to be a more important topic over there

Serbia actually has decent enough LGBT rights on paper - how easy it is for those living there to use them is another question; and being open wasn't really an option for most.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

JackTaylorFan I hope you're managing OK, that was an appalling thing to happen to you on that bus.

I'm not looking to reignite the discussion on that thread as it was closed by the mods.

Just wanted to wish you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

<rant>
    Is there any service in the HSE where a psychiatrist sending a letter saying effectively "we'll get to you eventually" is acceptable? That's the letter I got today.

We can't give you an appointment. You're (big number) on a waiting list. We'll be in touch.

If it was for any other aspect of mental health it would be grand, but in healthcare for transgender patients it is apparently par for the course.

I've already had one consultant give a diagnosis of gender dysphoria. Do I now have to wait an unspecified time for another to say "yeah, I agree" before anything else happens? When that happens do I go to the back of the next doctor's waiting list, and get to wait another long time to be seen? Or is there joined up thinking that I can be seen by the endocrinologist at the same time?

Is it any wonder that trans* patients have such issues with mental health and suicide, that it takes years to start treating them for their diagnosed condition? A condition that with adequate sympathetic treatment can massively improve their physical and mental health?

I'm not blaming the doctors involved though. They are working within a system. That system is fu**ed up though.
    </rant>
    And breathe...

• Advertisement

A video has surfaced on Youtube today of Russian Air Cadets at the Ulyanovsk Institute of Civil Aviation stripping down to their underwear and producing a very provocative video to the tune of Benny Benassi - Satisfaction

Anyway long story short there all in craploads of trouble now etc etc

The vid is fricking hilarious!

***NSFW*** (Mods, be cool)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

Brave lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

That really is hilarious :) Good luck to them -- hope they don't get thrown out for it all - but if they do some of them definitely have prospects for a career in entertainment :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Very brave thing for them to do in Russia, one of the most homophobic countries in the world at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Very brave thing for them to do in Russia, one of the most homophobic countries in the world at the moment.
    ????
    There are 195 countries in the world. 73 of them criminalise homosexuality, 7 of which carry the death penalty. That's 37% of the countries of the world. Russia is far from a rosey place for gay people but it's nowhere near the bottom of the pile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

A video has surfaced on Youtube today of Russian Air Cadets at the Ulyanovsk Institute of Civil Aviation stripping down to their underwear and producing a very provocative video to the tune of Benny Benassi - Satisfaction

Anyway long story short there all in craploads of trouble now etc etc

The vid is fricking hilarious!

***NSFW*** (Mods, be cool)

Haha that looks like it'd be fun to be in!
    Im shocked a bunch of russian lads decided to make that video? I would have thought surely you wouldn't be able to gather such a random assortment of young russian men who'd all willingly decide to make a homo erotic video and post it , especially given the anti lgbt climate there

Anyway what are they in trouble for?IS it actual legal trouble, the anti lgbt propaganda law?

cgcsb wrote: »
    ????
    There are 195 countries in the world. 73 of them criminalise homosexuality, 7 of which carry the death penalty. That's 37% of the countries of the world. Russia is far from a rosey place for gay people but it's nowhere near the bottom of the pile.

Yes a lot of countries are extremely ****ty places for lgbt people to live in and russia may not be the worst at all but its still a horrible place to live if you're gay

wakka12 wrote: »
    Haha that looks like it'd be fun to be in!
    Im shocked a bunch of russian lads decided to make that video? I would have thought surely you wouldn't be able to gather such a random assortment of young russian men who'd all willingly decide to make a homo erotic video and post it , especially given the anti lgbt climate there

Anyway what are they in trouble for?IS it actual legal trouble, the anti lgbt propaganda law?

I don't think it was ever meant to be released, it was shared on VK (Russian Facebook) and obviously got out of hand but it was just meant to be a dorm prank. It's escalated very quickly anyway, not so many news outlets in Europe reporting on it but it's huge in Russia and causing a lot of red faces. The college is the most prestigious flight school in Russia and word is that the 14 cadets who participated in it will be expelled sadly. Russian press is reporting that they are all first year cadets except the guy at the end of the video wearing trousers, he is a senior cadet and most likely the dorm prefect.

The Ulyanovsk Oblast (province) governor has ordered an investigation into the students in the video and their teachers too so they are out for blood. Russian newspapers say that most people polled on the issue believe it was just harmless fun, their reasoning is that there is no swearing or alcohol in the video which would have made it much more of a taboo. A petition with 4,000 signatures asking to keep the cadets in the school has been handed in, doubt it will save them though :(

As for why, it's a Russian spin on a video made about 3 years ago by British army recruits. I couldn't work out why Russian students would use an english language song until I saw the British video. Needless to say the British recruits don't have a patch on the Russians (in looks or moves haha!)

Looks like Russia's next Eurovision entry is sorted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

Those videos have played havoc with my recommended to watch on YouTube this whole week >_< Hilarious vids though, sad turn of events for the Russian one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Ash885 wrote: »
    Those videos have played havoc with my recommended to watch on YouTube this whole week >_< Hilarious vids though, sad turn of events for the Russian one though.

Seems to have gathered momentum in Russia

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/how-russias-hilarious-homoerotic-satisfaction-became-a-nationwide-meme-of-solidarity

The governor of Ulyanovsk has now said he doesn't want the cadets expelled (but his language actually made me feel sorry for them if you read between the lines). Regardless of his opinion though it is still up to the academy to decide and they will all have to face the disciplinary board.

http://tass.com/society/985717
    I believe that the institute’s veterans and teachers will manage to present quite a few arguments to explain to the cadets what respect for the uniform and traditions means

Translation - The senior students and alumni are going to kick the ѕhit out of you

That petition to save the cadets went from 4,000 sigs to 40,000 and there are tribute videos popping up everywhere. Some of them are really good actually! The one the Ukrainian swim team put up is brilliant, go to 0.55 - creative!!!

The governor of Ulyanovsk has now said he doesn't want the cadets expelled (but his language actually made me feel sorry for them if you read between the lines). Regardless of his opinion though it is still up to the academy to decide and they will all have to face the disciplinary board.

http://tass.com/society/985717

Translation - The senior students and alumni are going to kick the ѕhit out of you

That petition to save the cadets went from 4,000 sigs to 40,000 and there are tribute videos popping up everywhere. Some of them are really good actually! The one the Ukrainian swim team put up is brilliant, go to 0.55 - creative!!!

Haha that ending was gas! I like all these response videos..I guess its horrible stereotyping on my part( which is ever worse seeing as I know plenty of russian people who good humoured just like any of us) but all those response videos made me a lot warmer to russia since I heard about them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

My favourite one was the very furry friendly drama troupe version :D

This news story made for some very uncomfortable reading today, I actually found it quite disturbing. Two 17 year old lads secretly fool around a few times, word gets out so one lures the other to a meeting and stabs him six times with a kitchen knife. The victim survived the attack two years ago and the sentencing hearing was last week.

Two years, suspended.

https://waterford-news.ie/2019/03/20/scorned-lover-victim-of-frenzied-stabbing/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

This news story made for some very uncomfortable reading today, I actually found it quite disturbing. Two 17 year old lads secretly fool around a few times, word gets out so one lures the other to a meeting and stabs him six times with a kitchen knife. The victim survived the attack two years ago and the sentencing hearing was last week.

Two years, suspended.

https://waterford-news.ie/2019/03/20/scorned-lover-victim-of-frenzied-stabbing/

How was this only a suspended sentence? Madness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

https://www.smh.com.au/healthcare/in-complete-shock-sydney-man-contracts-hiv-despite-taking-prep-drug-20190321-p5165z.html

Did anyone else see this? Pretty shocking. But it got me thinking - do people use PrEP to make NSA bareback 'safe'?! I always thought people took it as an extra precaution to condoms if they were having a lotttt of sex... maybe I was wrong?

He was taking it 'on demand' which I assume in this case means loading doses for 48 hours before/after. That's probably less effective than taking it on an ongoing basis. Will wait and see it more information comes out.

It does seem that some people are conflating PrEP with absolute infallible safety and it being simply another safeguard which should work alongside common sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭TimeUp

I just wanted to recommend you all to watch "Please Like Me" if you have Netflix.

I think it's probably the best TV series I've ever seen, and that's saying much considering I don't usually like LGTB themed shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

TimeUp wrote: »
    I just wanted to recommend you all to watch "Please Like Me" if you have Netflix.

I think it's probably the best TV series I've ever seen, and that's saying much considering I don't usually like LGTB themed shows.

Not on Irish Netflix

I noticed this small and obscure reference when reading about Nancy Pelosi's speech in the Dail on Wednesday
    Whether by accident or design, Senator Ronan Mullen walked out as she praised the "modern Ireland" that had "blossomed" into a country which backed marriage equality and repealed the Eighth.

Such was his haste, Mullen walked into a wall before finding the door.

Oireachtas TV didn't film it, there is a very brief shot of someone moving quickly through the top gallery then the camera is back on Pelosi as one of the Dail ushers looks up at something.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭TimeUp

368100 wrote: »
    Not on Irish Netflix

That's a shame, it's so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Nova, the gay bar in Galway has closed down.

I became aware of this in gcn magazine.

They also report the death of the lady who held the lease, Anne Buckley, rip.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It reopened last week, former member of staff took it over..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

It reopened last week, former member of staff took it over..

Good stuff.

Thanks for the reply.

• Advertisement

I thought this is pretty interesting,

Canada has released a $1 commemorating 50 years since laws there began the process of decriminalization of homosexuality and the beginning of the equal rights movement. 3 million of these coins will be struck.

cpt117543786.jpg

Advertisement