Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off-Topic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Kanoe wrote: »
    that music has inspired me to go for a pint

Of a Monday, at this hour? Tut, for shame.

Anyone here doing the pride parade cycle? I'm usually allergic to gays but I'm all about the cycling. Plus I want the free T-shirt and bicycle bell :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

that music has inspired me to go for a pint

This talk of pints makes me thirsty:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

This talk of pints makes me thirsty:p
    think they serving til 12.30 :P I better run.

think they serving til 12.30 :P I better run.

Oh the joys of poleberry :P

Oh the joys of poleberry :P
    guess again :D

• Advertisement

I wasn't guessing I meant if you lived near PB you wouldn't need to run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,098 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Folks THIS thread is where you discuss vodka, pop tarts, emo etc any other stuff that is not relevant to the topic.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

Johnny, I noticed in the recently locked (and none too soon) thread that nyan cat should be relegated permanently to this forum. Saying nyan cat is only for off topic is short-sighted. If you (as I have done) let nyan cat into your life, you'll find he/she/it/nyan can fulfil all the nyan shaped holes in your existential being. As nyanners say, "NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN". I think that's clear enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

start a request thread, change forum title to LGBTNYAN

AndrewJD wrote: »
    Johnny, I noticed in the recently locked (and none too soon) thread that nyan cat should be relegated permanently to this forum. Saying nyan cat is only for off topic is short-sighted. If you (as I have done) let nyan cat into your life, you'll find he/she/it/nyan can fulfil all the nyan shaped holes in your existential being. As nyanners say, "NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN". I think that's clear enough.

nyan cat is on topic here but off topic in other threads and I for one will be deleting it in future on sight from every other thread apart from this. It's unfair when people want to have a serious discussion to take it over with frivolous irrelevant jokes.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

is nyan cat a metaphor for sexually inexperienced fanboi'?s

I wasn't guessing I meant if you lived near PB you wouldn't need to run

but then my designated driver would be out of a job

I have to say I'm gutted, I can't believe the level of ignorance that was displayed in that thread earlier.. it was horrific and I just can't be here anymore. I can't associate myself with this, there is not a fibre of my being that relates to any of it.

but then my designated driver would be out of a job

Haha :) good one .

As for the ignorance in the last thread as you say , I wasn't meaning to offend so I just hope people are aware of this

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Links234 wrote: »
    start a request thread, change forum title to LGBTNYAN

No. Please.
    Have pity! :(

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    nyan cat is on topic here but off topic in other threads and I for one will be deleting it in future on sight from every other thread apart from this. It's unfair when people want to have a serious discussion to take it over with frivolous irrelevant jokes.

I were only joking gov'. Nyan cat is obviously allergic to serious discussion and is religiously opposed to being involved in it. Only a naynner, not a nyanner would think to include the delicious poptart kitty in such a place.

Moving onto shaky-with-the-forum-charter territory, I sometimes find the most ignorant threads the most interesting. If you think that anyone on here has got to be more LGBT issues aware than the general public, then understanding the views of more ignorant posters has to be the tip of the iceberg? It raised some painful issues, and I'm sure in a less confrontational thread the issues might have been discussed more successfully. I mean read the ICD, DSM etc and you'll see classifying trans- issues as mental diseases is not that controversial.

ALSO does anyone have any flash games they love? I've been playing solitaire and 8-ball pool a lot, and need something fresh to waste braincells on. :D

Moving onto shaky-with-the-forum-charter territory, I sometimes find the most ignorant threads the most interesting. If you think that anyone on here has got to be more LGBT issues aware than the general public, then understanding the views of more ignorant posters has to be the tip of the iceberg? It raised some painful issues, and I'm sure in a less confrontational thread the issues might have been discussed more successfully. I mean read the ICD, DSM etc and you'll see classifying trans- issues as mental diseases is not that controversial.

Homosexuality was also considered a mental illness until quite recently, so should it be 'not that controversial' to consider people who have same sex attraction mentally ill? But that's another discussion entirely, and not the main issue with the other thread at all. The issue was that some people decided when they felt like it that the discussion was over/had run it's course, and completely derailed the thread with nonsense, which was utterly ignorant towards those who were trying to have a serious discussion. It was quite frankly maddening.

The issue was that some people decided when they felt like it that the discussion was over/had run it's course, and completely derailed the thread with nonsense.

I do hope I'm not part of the "some people" you're referring to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Homosexuality was also considered a mental illness until quite recently, so should it be 'not that controversial' to consider people who have same sex attraction mentally ill? But that's another discussion entirely, and not the main issue with the other thread at all. The issue was that some people decided when they felt like it that the discussion was over/had run it's course, and completely derailed the thread with nonsense, which was utterly ignorant towards those who were trying to have a serious discussion. It was quite frankly maddening.

I missed all the drama, but having finished reading the thread (which was epic) I have to agree with Links234 here. There was a lot of potential for a great debate, that eventually had to get flushed down the toilet. And it was something that was a little different from the usual topics here so that's doubly sad. It's a topic I find fascinating and now it's locked.

It was derailed, but it was donw so in a fashion that was pointed a group of posters that had opinions from those derailing. It was constructed it in way in which, if you weren't joining in or disagreed with some points, it was like "Jeez, lighten up and have a sense of humour." (I'm not sure I've explained that very well.) It was quite distasteful.

Obviously I'm aware of your first point, that wasn't really what I was getting at. From what it looked like in the doomed thread, it seemed its locking was due to what someone said regarding mental illness, my point was merely that this is currently an uncontroversial opinion, as the majority of medical definition supports this viewpoint. I didn't realise the light-hearted attitude of some posters in the middle of it was the larger problem, I tended to skip over those posts reading through. Maybe we could have another go at it? I think a lot of misunderstanding rather than ill intent lead to the last threads demise. Like most people agree, they were important topics, poorly discussed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

The previous thread had just devolved into an argument and was not making any progress IMO. I dunno if another thread will be any different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There's actually quite a few possible threads for discussion that came up in the doomed thread.

- Meaning of the "Q" in LGBTQ
    - Pathologisation of trans* identities
    - Bisexual/pansexual erasure and invalidation of identities
    - Privilege in the LGBT community
    - Kink/fetish/BDSM

If anyone wants to try and tackle any of these, feel free.

Obviously I'm aware of your first point, that wasn't really what I was getting at. From what it looked like in the doomed thread, it seemed its locking was due to what someone said regarding mental illness, my point was merely that this is currently an uncontroversial opinion, as the majority of medical definition supports this viewpoint. I didn't realise the light-hearted attitude of some posters in the middle of it was the larger problem, I tended to skip over those posts reading through. Maybe we could have another go at it? I think a lot of misunderstanding rather than ill intent lead to the last threads demise. Like most people agree, they were important topics, poorly discussed.

Rainbow Kirby said she was closing the thread in 15 minutes before the comments about mental illness, so that was not the reason it was closed at all. It was closed because it had been completely derailed and dragged off topic. I think derailing is becoming a problem in this forum, it's not as if this was an isolated incident, there were trans threads that were derailed recently too.

Links I do hope there is no bad feeling between us . I wasnt meaning to offend you or anyone else in any way

Links I do hope there is no bad feeling between us . I wasnt meaning to offend you or anyone else in any way
    Me either!

Meesared wrote: »
    Me either!

Perhaps you didn't mean to offend but people are justifiably pissed off. An attempt at discussion was deemed over and the whole thread was taken over with totally irrelevant juvenile nonsense.

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Perhaps you didn't mean to offend but people are justifiably pissed off. An attempt at discussion was deemed over and the whole thread was taken over with totally irrelevant juvenile nonsense.
    Fair enough, wasnt in the best of moods yesterday, i do apologise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm just finding that any time we try to have an interesting discussion on this forum, one way or another it ends up getting locked. I'm not saying that anything is being locked that shouldn't be, but whatever people are doing, compared to the other forums I'm active on this place has the most threads being locked regularly by a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

And ironically the silliness thread has now been derailed with seriousness :p

I too am disappointed with how the last thread panned out, there was potential for great debate in a number of areas there. I'll certainly start a tread incorporating some of the issues raised soon, as soon as I can think of a way to construct it so as to foster good discussion that is...

• Advertisement

It was good for discussion alright .I just was not meaning to offend anyone which I'm afraid may have been the case :confused:

Advertisement