Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off-Topic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Along with shots of lighten-the-hell-up, hmm.. that gives me an idea, if I were to make this an alcoholic shot what would the ingredients be? I'd love to be able to order it for people at appropriate times...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

a limoncello base, its easy to drink... hence, quite light.

Too cheesy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

Along with shots of lighten-the-hell-up, hmm.. that gives me an idea, if I were to make this an alcoholic shot what would the ingredients be? I'd love to be able to order it for people at appropriate times...
    a limoncello base, its easy to drink... hence, quite light.

Too cheesy?

agh damnit just go for a straight up shot of vodka, the sods need it as the chill pill has yet to be invented :cool:

If I'm going to go down the visual route "take a chill pill" is probably a bit too illegal... :p

Vodka is a worthy suggestion but it's not ridiculous enough (I'm quite the ridiculous person), and what goes with limoncello?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,098 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

so so sad that over 80 labour youth members in Norway were just shot dead

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Most of them between the ages of 14 and 19. Shocking stuff. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

It's so sad :( I really don't know how people can be so evil :mad:

In another case, Amy Winehouse has been found dead. I really liked her music and I think she was very very talented. Such a waste :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭MsBojangles

Amy Winehouse was a drug addict with far too many chances at life

I feel so sorry for her parents but not her

It's a crying shame how she used rehab like a feckin motel when there are plenty of people dependant on drugs and haven't got the funds to get into rehab.

There are plenty of drug addicts out there with a talent that we all tend to pass off a scum on the streets . SHE was no different to them

Because addiction has no effect on a persons behaviour...

You shouldn't think less of someone because of what substance abuse has turned them into, speak for yourself as passing off homeless addicts as scum, they are a slave to their addiction just as she was, it is very sad that such circumstances lead to the death of a young woman, hopefully the fact that celebrity culture is highlighting the damage drug and alcohol abuse can do will go some way towards informing people to treat mind altering substances with the respect they deserve.

speak for yourself as passing off homeless addicts as scum

I dont pass them off but everyone I know personally seems to.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who would turn down addiction for rehab once they see what it does to them

• Advertisement

Addicts don't enjoy rehab, they see the benefits once they reach the other side, it's a severe addiction, you take away the substance then initially every cell in their body is going to scream to get it back, there's very little choice in the matter at that point, you try telling a junkie in dublin going through the first stages of withdrawal as they scrounge for their fix that not getting that fix ever again is a good thing.

you try telling a junkie in dublin going through the first stages of withdrawal as they scrounge for their fix that not getting that fix ever again is a good thing.

I doubt I'd need too . They would be aware of the benefits of being clean .The stronger ones would use that knowledge to stay on the straight and narrow
    life isn't always a bed of roses ,Addiction is a part of life .
    Cigarette smokers i know go through the withdrawals of not having a fag but they put up with it rather than wasting over 24 something of their hard earned cash on a box of cancer sticks

I doubt I'd need too . They would be aware of the benefits of being clean .The stronger ones would use that knowledge to stay on the straight and narrow
    life isn't always a bed of roses ,Addiction is a part of life .
    Cigarette smokers i know go through the withdrawals of not having a fag but they put up with it rather than wasting over 24 something of their hard earned cash on a box of cancer sticks

i agree with you for the most part but......
    we have an alcoholic in the family (a very bad one) and i absolutely abhor what she has done and continues to do to her family. i never even liked her as a person either. and i think its bloody ridiculous how shes been in rehab a few times then goes on a bender when she gets out. shes even been in hospital with her kidneys. i dunno how her liver isnt shot. but at the same time i do understand - a bit - that she's just so far gone im not sure if she will ever crawl back from it. its gonna take a lot more than will power at this stage.
    so i do feel there is more to addiction than wanting to quit once youve gone past a certain point.

MsBojangles - You think those are the same? I'm appalled to be frank.

MsBojangles - You think those are the same? I'm appalled to be frank.

Having been through addiction and knowing quite well the withdrawals of which you speak I think I would know that an addiction is an addiction and the affects of withdrawal from any addiction depends solely on the strength of the addiction the impact on daily life and the willingness to let go

The strength and form of addiction, I've given up fags before, just got a little narky, gave up headshop sh*te, I went mental.

I had a hell of a lot more willpower with regards the latter (pretty obvious when I'm a smoker again), and it was still a hell of a lot harder, I smoked longer too, yeah, willpower matters, but substance does too, I wouldn't dream of equating my experience with heroin or crack.

I wouldn't dream of equating my experience with heroin or crack.

Cocaine addiction apparently is as bad as those 2

Crack is a form of coke

Amy Winehouse was a drug addict with far too many chances at life

I feel so sorry for her parents but not her

It's a crying shame how she used rehab like a feckin motel when there are plenty of people dependant on drugs and haven't got the funds to get into rehab.

There are plenty of drug addicts out there with a talent that we all tend to pass off a scum on the streets . SHE was no different to them

Please don't refer to anyone as scum on this forum. Its not appropriate. Any problems send me a pm.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Please don't refer to anyone as scum on this .

I wasn't referring to anyone on here as scum .
    My language was nothing short of inappropriate though and i'm sorry to anyone I may have offended

• Advertisement

omg..... everything hurts. my brain is trying to pretend that nothing below the collarbone exists. my head hurts too but the brain cant very well deny its own existence!
    my mother can shop....coming from a total bargain hunter shopaholic, thats saying something. 2 bicardi breezers and a few hours later, i'm still walking funny
    maybe the bicardi contributed to that.

i got pink cheeks and i had a wide brimmed hat on. i tan rather than burn so there are gonna be a lot of lobsters around the country tomorrow.
    really lovely out.

more sunshine like that though, yes please

Just got back from Harry Potter 8. WTF, where is MILF Hermione in the epilogue???????????

Aaaaaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhh

Just read the first two pages of AH thread on Somalia :mad::mad::mad:

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

That's indifference for you! Some people couldn't give a flying fúck, but it is AH after all, so nothing new there.

As for the African continent and the situation they find themselves in. If you do decide to donate, you might aswell take all your money and píss it against the wind. Given the geography and geology of the area, famines and droughts will continue. (Social and Economic are just as big a problem, but can be discussed in Humanities)

As many may disagree with my opinion, I'd prefer to see these people educated as opposed to giving them my money as it isn't helping them to constantly throw whatever food is available at them. They need to know how to improve there situation.

"give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day: teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime"

Ok, so it's a bit twee, but there is truth to it, I think.

Thank God I'm from just outside Cork
    at least I don't have to call myself a Waterford person:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Well there is truth in that statement. I'd rather they be equiped with what they need to know, then help them when they struggle.

i read that somalia thread - and while i do feel usually) ireland should focus more on ourselves (the overseas aid from the government has been very high in the past yeah?) and make fewer cuts in health and so on, im not oblivious to their plight. I cant agree with folks that simply say 'ey' or make stupid jokes about it. That's not only wrong, its downright disrespectful.
    I feel if you cant or wont) help someone then you dont belittle them or make it into some big joke.

Just realised it's been a year since my decision to transition. That went by quickly :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Asry

The strength and form of addiction, I've given up fags before, just got a little narky, gave up headshop sh*te, I went mental.

I had a hell of a lot more willpower with regards the latter (pretty obvious when I'm a smoker again), and it was still a hell of a lot harder, I smoked longer too, yeah, willpower matters, but substance does too, I wouldn't dream of equating my experience with heroin or crack.

I know from withdrawal from psychiatric drugs that it is very, very, very bad. I suppose it depends on the drug. But I stopped eating and sleeping and became suicidal and drank a lot and took painkillers with codeine in them and everything because I honestly couldn't hack it. The doctor wouldn't do anything. But yeah. It was really incredibly bad, cold sweats, freak outs, the lot. Seriously. I would never, ever go through that again in my life.

Advertisement