Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off-Topic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

Winter, reminds me of the ice. Was walking 200/300 yards out on to a frozen lake for the craic until me and a mate heard ice shelfs break off a couple of miles out. Never ran on ice before or a lake for that matter until that night :P

Walking on water ( albeit frozen !) - Jesus, is that you?!

Saw the new Harry potter last night - cousin fancied the cinema- last time I went I saw Marley and me!

Speaking of swimming I'm getting back to aqua aerobics tonight. My body is sorely missing it! I love water so much so I'm considering swimming with ( non man eating ) sharks in Mexico. I don't want to lose a leg, I'm very attached to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

What a weekend!! Love the way I'm having a brilliant August bank holiday, catching up with some old friends, and then stupid, ignorant, childish so called men ruin it :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I can't believe people have already started talking to me about the debs. That is going to be one huge ball of shiny ugly dress filled awkwardness :(

However, I'm finally getting new glasses! And a crepe maker!

Chuchoter wrote: »
    I can't believe people have already started talking to me about the debs. That is going to be one huge ball of shiny ugly dress filled awkwardness :(

Are you going to go? A girl my year brought her girlfriend and while it was a bit of a shock to people, there wasn't any trouble over it and everyone admitted 'fair play to her for having the courage to do it!'

So if you have a girl in mind, you should ask her and have a good night :) Also, the girl in my year wore trousers, a shirt and a waistcoat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Printemps93

the girl in my year wore trousers, a shirt and a waistcoat.

Fair play to her

• Advertisement

Ah the debs - I remember being excited about it as I'd never been to a ball. It all happened so fast though. Too much drink all round! But it wasn't as akward as I thought it'd be. Most people were merry and thankfully too tipsy to be anything else!

As for the who to bring fiasco; I said feck it and went with a cousin who never got to go to a debs. So it was just a fun night, no worrying about romantic shenanigans.
    That said it's not uncommon these days for two girls to go together as single friends.

The supposed horror of horrors happened: another girl turned up in the same dress. I dunno how, it was a from a very random shop in the nutgrove. I didnt think it was such a horror though. We looked different enough.

I'm starting to wish I could do that again - without falling in someone's sick (classy)

My date got kicked out for being a scumbag. I remember what with all the alcohol and the fact that I really liked him, I was so upset on the night when really it wasn't a big deal. Ahhh the debs :pac:

I think the family might fall to pieces if I went with a girl, the only girl I'd bring probably will go with a boy and after that I have boys I could ask but would prefer not to :/

I think the family might fall to pieces if I went with a girl, the only girl I'd bring probably will go with a boy and after that I have boys I could ask but would prefer not to :/

Are you allowed to bring outside people? <- people not from the school I mean? The majority at my debs brought an outsider and a fair few were just friends or even family I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

It's also my debs next month. i'm bringing a girl who's one of my best friends. i'd bring a boyfriend if i actually had one but im not lucky in the love department, wouldnt care what the people in my former school would think.

i just can't understand why people are already going on about to me either, it's not til next month people, we still need to get results and college offers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Never went to my debs and now that I look back at it, I'm still a little bitter over secondary school. Not putting a dampener on it though, how all of ye kids that are going have a good night :)

Never went to my debs and now that I look back at it, I'm still a little bitter over secondary school. Not putting a dampener on it though, how all of ye kids that are going have a good night :)

Ah it's good Craic when you dress up but I learned early on; don't take it too seriously like alot do - it's just a night out. When I started stressing over who to bring, I said to myself "ah now its just an excuse to wear a dress and get pished in a posh fashion" of course that did mean ignoring the bully folk but thankfully they get pished too so all is well with the world and it's the last time you'll see most of them so let loose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Asry

ah yeah, it really is just a night out. It's so built out that I was a little anti-climaxed at the end :)

Asry wrote: »
    ah yeah, it really is just a night out. It's so built out that I was a little anti-climaxed at the end :)

Funny you say that. That's how I saw mine, I enjoyed it but its sooooo built up it was anti climatic really

Mine isn't until September 2012 so who knows, maybe everything will have changed by then.
    In the mean time, I'm going to try to get into Pottermore today :P

Aishae wrote: »
    Funny you say that. That's how I saw mine, I enjoyed it but its sooooo built up it was anti climatic really

I had a really stupid fight with my date RIGHT AT THE START of the night and he ignored me for the rest of the entire time! Until 6am! And just went off and danced with other boys!

Aishae wrote: »

I had a really stupid fight with my date RIGHT AT THE START of the night and he ignored me for the rest of the entire time! Until 6am! And just went off and danced with other boys!

Something oddly ironic about that!

Slipping in someone's sick and turning up in the same dress as someone else was the worst of it for me really. So not bad. I did see a pic on my camera of me asleep on the club floor! That was a gad embarrasing I'm guessing that was after 3 - I was defo upright till then. Its funny, people I barely knew were being very talkative to me. That's drink for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Mine was hilarious. My mum wouldn't let me wear the red crushed velvet suit I wanted (BOOOOOOOO) so I was in a DRESS. A DRESS. Shudder.

Most of my group came alone and we hung out as a big group. I had just come out to my best friend on results night and she kept grabbing my arse in all the photos. My other best friend is a guy I used to go out with a lot in school, and everyone kept asking me if I was ok all night, and I finally realised it was because he brought someone else! (Who got off with another one of our friends which prompted the guy who brought her to pour a pint over his head). Brilliant stuff!

Plus I was stuck in a hotel room listening to my best female friend fight off the advances of the guy she brought with her at her mothers insistence. Good times.

Oh oh, and since I don't really drink I was pretty much sober, while one of my old teachers got HAMMERED and asked me what I was going to college to do.

"Philosophy"

"ooooOOOOOOOOOOooooh philosophy! Very fancy. And where are you going?"

"Trinity"

"oooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooh excuse me, TRINITY!"

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

ha, actually, about clothes, my mother wanted to buy a man's Armani suit and have it tailored to fit me exactly. She really liked my predeliction to men's clothing for some reason. Anyway I didn't do it.

ha, actually, about clothes, my mother wanted to buy a man's Armani suit and have it tailored to fit me exactly. She really liked my predeliction to men's clothing for some reason. Anyway I didn't do it.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Haha b and c. I didn't know teachers went to these things, they weren't at mine. But we did have to gather at the school for a reception before we got the bus - though my cousin hired a limo for us and a few others - I was shocked as hell there was wine at the reception.
    One of the lads came in a dress Scottish kilt suit with accessories (no bagpipe though and certainly not a quilted one!) the girls spent the night trying to lift his kilt to see what's under it so he had to run a lot.
    Towards the end of the night he revealed silky smilie faced boxers.

I was shocked at how many lads wanted a dance with me - not slow music thank feck.
    I was not a popular girl - respected though - so I was thinking "wha?"

We had no hotel rooms booked (hence my nap on the hotel club floor) we were due to keep partying till bekkie at 6 then get the bus back to Dublin. <- yes we went to navan, maybe it was because drink was cheaper there. Ah no it was just because everywhere in Dublin was booked out or too dear

Teachers always were invited to ours, but parents were kept well clear. Boarding school I guess, it wasn't really like you all gathered in one place with all the parents taking photos... I always find it mad when my gf talks bout how on her debs night there was some massive party in her house with her folks and all the neighbours getting drunk and partying!

IN fact, there was a rumour that one of the teachers hooked up with one of our year at the debs... sadly it wasn't me. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I never bothered going to mine. Hated my year group in school and as soon as I finished the LC I never wanted to see them again. I regret nothing.

I also hated the idea of spending that much money on one night, and on a dress...

I loved getting all dressed up and looking pretty for a change :pac: If only someone could do my hair and makeup everyday for me :P

I'm thinking of altering my debs dress to wear to a wedding this year.....Yes, I'm that cheap :o

I loved getting all dressed up and looking pretty for a change :pac: If only someone could do my hair and makeup everyday for me :P

I'm thinking of altering my debs dress to wear to a wedding this year.....Yes, I'm that cheap :o

Ah I loved that after the previous 11 years or so primarily in a uniform. My debs dress is long gone but there was a disaster when I got it dry cleaned (burnt)

I'd alter a dress if need be. As a kid my mam got a flower girls dress I wore to my aunts wedding altered for my communion (mostly just flowers changed from royal blue to peach) occasion wear is just too expensive to wear once! I have a cream dress still in my wardrobe since I was 14, I said If I ever marry I'll just get that altered. Lovely lace number and I wouldn't spend even 100 on a dress I wore for 1 day.

doh!
    i downloaded my old acker bilk cd to itunes - to give the ipod app a try (putting the headphones on the bone behind the ear for vibrations as ive done with older headphones) - i loved 'stranger on the shore'! and if it had worked i intended to put a few cd's on it, dirty dancing, martina mcbride, some 60's etc....
    bloody modern day headphones - no flipping vibrations :( id need to put my hands on a good old fashioned boom box or stand beside some large bass speakers. i can feel the music through the floor in a club for example.
    its a pity, it would have been cool.
    *puts away her cd's with a certain amount of annoyance*

I'm sure you could ask for recommendations in the music or Dj fora for headphones that have high bass levels?

I'm sure you could ask for recommendations in the music or Dj fora for headphones that have high bass levels?

thanks, ill give that a go.
    on a sidenote - i thought about retro headphones but they do seem to be pretty dear. even the ones you get in clothes shops (the technology is not as good but theyre really for 'show')

I'm sure even some of the deaf community groups might be able to help-if you want to keep it gay you could always ask greenbow, or something... Sorry if I'm talking to much, I just hate the thought of anyone wanting to listen to music and not getting to!

• Advertisement

I'm sure even some of the deaf community groups might be able to help-if you want to keep it gay you could always ask greenbow, or something... Sorry if I'm talking to much, I just hate the thought of anyone wanting to listen to music and not getting to!

ah thats been me for the last 14 years. i miss it. but at the same time, knowing what im missing doesnt consume me. but given the opportunity, i like to feel the music.
    i dont think most in the Deaf community would be able to help because music is just not a factor at all for most who are born deaf (in my experience) - people who were deafened later in life arent really a group and dont tend to be a part of the overall deaf community. i didnt even know about the whole deaf versus Deaf thing til i was in college.

edit - i play music in my head a lot. theres usually a tune floating around. im also a complete singstar wh*re - im pretty sure i sound like a bag of spanners on spin cycle but its great fun and i think that it is one of the things that contributed to me never forgetting what things sound like (many people who are deafened lose a fair bit of their auditory memories after 5 or so years) i didnt have singstar till about 6 years ago - till then i used to have this folder filled with song lyrics that i looked at and sometimes sang regularly. <- that folder was covered in posters because i was a typical teenager. it was of course star trek ;)

Advertisement