Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off-Topic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

Jes"s christ, I hope those f"ckers rioting in London get theirs - the mindless violence and destruction is shocking.... Hard to believe it started because a fella was shot (once) dead when he pulled a gun on a copper. I think that's just an excuse to behave like f"cking monsters. I'd say most of us know people in London. Too scared to leave the house at the mo.

When my cousin went home from Abroad she left her 3 year old there with her grandparents for longer. Looking at sky news, that is not an over reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

Aishae wrote: »
    Bloody heck, id still be comatose with that menu :o !

I was , normally dont drink that much but with it being pride i made an exception

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Jes"s christ, I hope those f"ckers rioting in London get theirs - the mindless violence and destruction is shocking.... Hard to believe it started because a fella was shot (once) dead when he pulled a gun on a copper. I think that's just an excuse to behave like f"cking monsters. I'd say most of us know people in London. Too scared to leave the house at the mo.

When my cousin went home from Abroad she left her 3 year old there with her grandparents for longer. Looking at sky news, that is not an over reaction.

Am not as up to speed on this as I would like to be, due to work, but I understand one of the reasons it got to this stage was that the Met would not meet the family of the guy who had been shot. This apparently led to a bad situation becoming rapidly worse.

Don't disagree with you however, that in a large number of cases it's an excuse, but once you add in high rates of unemployment and seemingly simmering undertones of discontent, unfortunately these types of scenes are predictable, though perhaps not to the extreme we have seen over the past few nights.

I'm very glad I live in NI and not London, even I can appreciate the irony in that!

Dragon dictate is an iPhone voice to text app. It can be quite accurate. I mess around with it as it improves with use.

I was singing into it for a laugh and it was quite accurate with some songs that aren't long and drawn out! I howled with laughter though when I sang baby got back and the app said "need ER"
    I know i sound bad!

f"cking thing has a sense of humour! (it once translated me saying silly b'tch as "act gay bitch")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

! (it once translated me saying silly b'tch as "act gay bitch")

I really would quite like that as my text message noise...

• Advertisement

Actually Aishae, having seen this you may well be right!!

London rioters: 'Showing the rich we do what we want'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14458424

Actually Aishae, having seen this you may well be right!!

London rioters: 'Showing the rich we do what we want'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14458424

and now its about rich versus poor? im not sure even they know why theyre really rioting (except to use any excuse to feel justified)

and now its about rich versus poor? im not sure even they know why theyre really rioting (except to use any excuse to feel justified)

I asked this in after hours and no one seems to know ,why did it all start to begin with?

some fella was shot. he pulled a gun on a police officer. its unclear if people were protesting that he was shot (he died) or because the met wouldnt the family (i dont know if thats true)
    now theyre saying its because the poor are fed up

I asked this in after hours and no one seems to know ,why did it all start to begin with?

Started on the back of an armed guy known to be a drug dealer, and allegedly with Yardie connections, being shot dead by the Met. There were protests, which started peacefully, but as often happens it appears to have been hijacked for "sport".

I do really believe that the current economic climate plays a huge part in it. We've come from a situation where most people could get their hands on any appliance/consumable, to today. A lot of people are really suffering, and unfortunately a sizeable proportion are prepared to use any situation to go rioting and looting. You've seen, I'm sure, the pictures of people walking out of shops with 52" TVs! I'd have no problem people looting essentials, be it food, nappies etc, but most of this appears to be simply about greed and jumping on a bandwagon for "sport".

Interestingly the BBC have just reported that a sizeable number of those arrested have had no previous contact with police, and had previoulsy been deemed to be "of good character". Cuts to youth services and rises in unemployment unfortunately often just need a spark to set things alight. Hope the police can at least contain this tonight, and calm things over the next few days. Big big test for them and for the UK Government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,098 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

http://l-r-c.org.uk/press/statement-on-events-in-tottenham-and-their-context/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/aug/08/context-london-riots?cat=commentisfree&type=article

To be fair there is a lot of extreme poverty and cutbacks that contribute to the causes

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Life is good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

If this was about anything other than robbery and vandalism then they wouldn't be running away from the police. There have been very few confrontations like the anti-globalization protests and if the police were the main target as they should be given the supposed flash point for this then that would be different! There is no underlying cause to this apart from let's get a new telly!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I want to vere wildly off course to ask a quick question concerning something that has been making my blood boil the last few days. Have you every been told by a company, "We're impressed with your experience which is relavent to the position advertised, but you're just not a suitable candidate".

My head nearly exploded with fraustration on reading that.

I want to vere wildly off course to ask a quick question concerning something that has been making my blood boil the last few days. Have you every been told by a company, "We're impressed with your experience which is relavent to the position advertised, but you're just not a suitable candidate".

Sounds like they THINK they're covering their asses
    But the last bit is not only very transparent, it's poorly worded and quite rude

That's a new one alright . Bit of contradicting themselves .
    I heard a lot of "we have already filled the position you have applied for " before landing my job .
    Don't worry something will come up

I would ask why?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

stephen_n wrote: »
    There is no underlying cause to this apart from let's get a new telly!

In your opinion

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

When I was unemployed a few years ago I got a great rejection letter;

"Thank you for your interest in the position. We will not be calling you for interview as there were many more better qualified applicants for the role.

All the best!"

Talk about calling a spade a spade, eh?

"Thank you for your interest in the position. We will not be calling you for interview as there were many more better qualified applicants for the role.

All the best!"

Talk about calling a spade a spade, eh?

Not for the faint hearted eh:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I don't think, for most of the rioters, that there is a bigger motivation than a new telly. However, I think it is a symptom of how disenfranchised,lawless and flippant people are. I mean, I can't even imagine going around my area and ruining all the little businesses that are all family owned. To say that there is a critical mass of people willing to do that that are all from one socioeconomic class says something is really wrong.

The other thing I find a bit worrying is the very odd comments like I've heard on sky news, basically saying every single black person in the area went rioting and none came to clean up, but you could see people in the background! I feel like its really exposed a lot of racism in the media that you don't see quite so explicitly very often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Printemps93

Chuchoter wrote: »
    I can't even imagine going around my area and ruining all the little businesses that are all family owned.

I think that'd be down to the fact you're not a scumbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Having one of those evenings where i need a cuddle in front of a silly romantic comedy on tv ..Damn i hate being single lol

Having one of those evenings where i need a cuddle in front of a silly romantic comedy on tv ..Damn i hate being single lol

I hate single life too but am texting someone and it hopefully wont last much longer.
    also feel free to pm me

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I know how ye feel. I'd love to have a qualified massage therapist as a girlfriend, someone to take the knots out of me back :P That and a cuddle. God the week I just had, thank feck it's nearly over. On another note, I could have a job again but I won't confirm anything yet.

I hate single life too but am texting someone and it hopefully wont last much longer.
    also feel free to pm me

Oh that's good :) You gonna ask her out? :P Hope all goes well!

I used to love single life and it definitely has its perks Haha but Im at a stage now where i wouldn't mind having a gf lol

also feel free to pm me

I used to love single life and it definitely has its perks Haha but Im at a stage now where i wouldn't mind having a gf lol
    oh are we discussing desirable traits in a significant other? ;)

Massage therapist is interesting - I wouldn't say no to a sexy pastry chef! Cos I'm a human bin. That said if she's a GOOD pastry chef, I hope she doubles as a personal trainer!

I know how ye feel. I'd love to have a qualified massage therapist as a girlfriend, someone to take the knots out of me back :P That and a cuddle. God the week I just had, thank feck it's nearly over. On another note, I could have a job again but I won't confirm anything yet.

Im trained in massage ;) Oddly i love giving massages equally if not more than receiving them! (I know right, how am i still single? :P)

Hope you get the job! You're moving to Galway right? Or was that someone else on here!

I'm going to plan a date with her and we'll see how it goes from there .
    My friend has been calling herself Coy Cupid since last week because that's when she gave her my number without me having a notion .
    The texting is going really well though:pac:

• Advertisement

oh are we discussing desirable traits in a significant other? ;)
    1. She has to be real (no nasal accent and no bs)
    2. She has to have a sense of humour because I love laughing at myself :D
    3. Some form of physical attraction is a must :pac:

Not fussy at all me :rolleyes:

Advertisement