Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off-Topic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

18 for myself bought nibbles there

Rip off Ireland for ya eh?:p

I shoulda said that's 11 each - as it looked like I meant total. 18 isn't the worst I've heard - some places charge 5 for a small popcorn so I've heard of people spending 20 on food for 2. I know it's the food where cinemas really get most of their profit but the Mark ups are pretty huge ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

Aishae wrote: »
    I shoulda said that's 11 each - as it looked like I meant total. 18 isn't the worst I've heard - some places charge 5 for a small popcorn so I've heard of people spending 20 on food for 2. I know it's the food where cinemas really get most of their profit but the Mark ups are pretty huge ...

It was like almost 9 euro for large combo (drink n popcorn)
    then the film was 9 something

Still on the pricey side for the pop corn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Get yourselves a Cineworld Unlimited card, if you're in Dublin. €20 a month and you can watch as many movies as you want. Best money I ever spent. Means I can treat myself to an ice-cream or something in there without feeling stupid!!

that's 240 a year
    unless you dont have to pay 20 every month?:confused:

• Advertisement

It's good value alright but there's only 2 subtitled screenings a week (always the same film) and one is at 9am on a sat. I don't think I'd really get my money's worth as I'd only get to go once or twice a month. I'll stick with being contrary buying a ticket and bring a sammich ;)

a sammich ;)
    Good Idea .Don't forget to lob on the egg mayo you may have the whole screen to yourself;)

that's 240 a year
    unless you dont have to pay 20 every month?:confused:

No, it's every month. But tbh the money comes out of the bank the day I get my student stipend so I don't notice it. if you go to the cinema more than once a month, then you're saving money. Plus it means you ALWAYS have something to do of an evening. I know plenty of people who would pay €240 every couple of months (minimum) on going out to nightclubs and drinking, and then whinge about not being able to afford to do anything fun during the week. :rolleyes:

Doing a PhD, you don't have a lot of money, but at least this way I can meet up with my friends, catch a movie, and maybe go for a coffee afterwards without it taking my food budget for the week. I tend to go to the cinema at least 3 times a month, usually a lot more. My friends all have the card too. So it's pretty handy.

I tend to go to the cinema at least 3 times a month, usually a lot more. My friends all have the card too. So it's pretty handy.
    well then it pays because without it you'd probably spend more than 24 euro?:confused:

I can see the reasoning - 2 seperate screenings would add up to almost 22. But it only works if you do like to go more than twice a month.
    I rent DVDs from screenclick at 19.99 a month and I can get 2 at a time and rent as many as I like over the month so that works well for me - they do cheaper. But I sort of eat movies !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

I watched Scream the last night, it has some amazing quoates such as

‎'It's like deja vu all over again.'

'now I'm sexually anorexic.'

:P

Finally asked the chick out and now ive a date .The dilemma begins - What do I wear ?:P

Finally asked the chick out and now ive a date .The dilemma begins - What do I wear ?:P

Start with "what not to wear?" such as spandex and rubber cat suits - save that for the 2nd date hehe

i have the flu. never got the flu in my life until now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

spandex and rubber cat suits

Points for originality? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think there are many underlying causes; social segregation, poverty, intergenerational unemployment, extreme cutbacks through austerity, social policy failure, a capitalistic culture that creates extreme greed

Those are all very real issue and clearly came to the fore in the anti globalization demonstrations earlier in the year or in Athens! However there is no evidence in what has happened in the UK this week that would suggest any of those factors being involved. Apart of course from the greed factor which drove their consumerist nature to seek the ultimate five finger discount! This was robbery, well orchestrated mass robbery plain and simple and the misuse of the word rioting suggesting some form of social unrest is very misleading! In the case of rioting there would be some form of disturbance aimed at attacking the agencies of the state or those who are percieved to be aligned to the system of oppression. This has not happened, the only real engagement with the police after the first night has been as a diversionary action to distract police while looting is being carried out in very specific stores, the ones that these people would choose to shop in, electronics, clothing and phone shops being the main targets! No state buildings or institutions no banks and no real aggression towards the most obvious agents of the state the police. So yes it is mind opinion but one informed by the facts as they present themselves not just some wishy washy bland idealism which isn't supported by anything that has occurred!

stephen_n wrote: »
    Those are all very real issue and clearly came to the fore in the anti globalization demonstrations earlier in the year or in Athens! However there is no evidence in what has happened in the UK this week that would suggest any of those factors being involved. Apart of course from the greed factor which drove their consumerist nature to seek the ultimate five finger discount! This was robbery, well orchestrated mass robbery plain and simple and the misuse of the word rioting suggesting some form of social unrest is very misleading! In the case of rioting there would be some form of disturbance aimed at attacking the agencies of the state or those who are percieved to be aligned to the system of oppression. This has not happened, the only real engagement with the police after the first night has been as a diversionary action to distract police while looting is being carried out in very specific stores, the ones that these people would choose to shop in, electronics, clothing and phone shops being the main targets! No state buildings or institutions no banks and no real aggression towards the most obvious agents of the state the police. So yes it is mind opinion but one informed by the facts as they present themselves not just some wishy washy bland idealism which isn't supported by anything that has occurred!

they even say in it: "This isn't even a riot, it's about showing the police we can do what we want" That has to be driven by something other than materialist culture!

they even say in it: "This isn't even a riot, it's about showing the police we can do what we want" That has to be driven by something other than materialist culture!

You're right
    there's more to it than 52" TV's

I doubt " showing the police we can do what we want" is taught in finishing school:rolleyes:

Ah I see so joy riding, breaking and entering, mugging etc are actually forms of social unrest and we have been miclassing the anarchists as criminals all along. One soundbite from a 16-18 year old girl claimed they were getting their tax back even though it's fairly obvious she has never paid any in her life. If I believed this was genuine unrest at the f**ked up society we live in I would probably cheer them on, I think there has been far far to little unrest in this country but it's not, it's criminality by little ASBO's who have no concept of what a greater social good as and are every bit as much a part of the problem as the politicians and bankers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Tickets to Dylan Moran booked! Cannot wait!

its been a while since theres been an injection of nyan cat

cute-kawaii-stuff-nyan-bag.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Killer Banana - When you headin?!

Tickets to Dylan Moran booked! Cannot wait!

Class live when is he playing?

October :D 8 of us are heading on the 6th :D

Jean wrote: »
    October :D 8 of us are heading on the 6th :D

ya i think that's right, he's playing vicar street, i've never heard any of his stuff but i must since so many people told me he's great

its been a while since theres been an injection of nyan cat

who now?

who now?

you know lolcats - i can has cheezeburger? im not sure if it started there but it seemed to - the nyan cat thing. someone created a cartoon video and since then there have been many pics and products people have made starring nyan cat .
    nyan cat is a cat with the body of a pop tart who flies through the galaxy whilst pooping a rainbow.

the creator was possibly on something!

but there is much love out there for Nyan cat - think someone here said they had a t shirt....

• Advertisement

you know lolcats - i can has cheezeburger? im not sure if it started there but it seemed to - the nyan cat thing. someone created a cartoon video and since then there have been many pics and products people have made starring nyan cat .
    nyan cat is a cat with the body of a pop tart who flies through the galaxy whilst pooping a rainbow.

Ay So I've competition I see :p
    the creator was possibly on something!

but there is much love out there for Nyan cat .
    I do not think it was a possibility my friend I think it is a given that he/she was indeed on something if not intoxicated .:D I myself turn into Vincent Van Gogh with a few in me :o

Advertisement