Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Off-Topic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Well he told me it was because everyone was in doing the lotto.

Not 100% how much sense that makes, but oh well!

Dam had forgotten that! Thanks for the reminder, need to pay for a ticket home!
    Must get a lotto ticket ASAP! :D

I'd say he has just run out of small change!

If he was female, and cute I would definitely suggest bringing in your change "for a trade!" At least you could use it then to buy drinks! :p

GF is away since yesterday, minding her mum, not back till tomorrow. Need ideas for a lovely dinner I can cook for her tomorrow.
    Shes very non-irish HATES spuds! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

Jaysus 20...

I took that scan date today. Mam had an appointment so I was free. I'd never been to that particular hospital so I left early in case I got lost or that. I also overestimated how long the dart would take. So I arrived 2 hours early. Oops?!
    A nurse sees me dithering (I was actually looking for a coffee shop) she asks where I was looking for. I say ah I'm early. She seems to catch that I was today's deaf patient and says 'petra?' tells me sit. I get my scan ten mins later. I was window shopping and getting lunch before my actual scan time.
    Now THATs service!

Aishae wrote: »
    Jaysus 20...

I took that scan date today. Mam had an appointment so I was free. I'd never been to that particular hospital so I left early in case I got lost or that. I also overestimated how long the dart would take. So I arrived 2 hours early. Oops?!
    A nurse sees me dithering (I was actually looking for a coffee shop) she asks where I was looking for. I say ah I'm early. She seems to catch that I was today's deaf patient and says 'petra?' tells me sit. I get my scan ten mins later. I was window shopping and getting lunch before my actual scan time.
    Now THATs service!

Thats fantastic!
    Love it when that happens!
    You get to window shop, and so does the Radiographer! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

3 Days and Already hate this college thing !
    If I find a college in Canada which will accept me next year I'll move as soon as I get wind of it *fingers crossed* :D

• Advertisement

I know the country is down the crapper at the mo but you'd have to dislodge me from it with a crowbar.
    I'm a typical 'ah sure tis grand' and if it isn't grand 'it'll BE grand' Irish lass

I know the country is down the crapper at the mo but you'd have to dislodge me from it with a crowbar.
    I'm a typical 'ah sure tis grand' and if it isn't grand 'it'll BE grand' Irish lass

My mum wishes I was like that (shes still in the denial/try talk her out of it phase )

My mum wishes I was like that (shes still in the denial/try talk her out of it phase )
    The main thing that keeps me here; the pick n mixes that just arent the same elsewhere. Hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Jaysus 20...

Now THATs service!

HSE scan?

yep - the shock! it was a small hospital though and it was a CT - you'd never get that with an MRI or a bigger hospital. i lucked out today

• Advertisement

The main thing that keeps me here; the pick n mixes that just arent the same elsewhere. Hehe

here I was thinking your mum was the main thing that kept you here?:p

here I was thinking your mum was the main thing that kept you here?:p

between you and me its the jellies - and i think she knows :pac:

between you and me its the jellies - and i think she knows :pac:

your poor mother :p

your poor mother :p

what? she'd swap me for a brandy n gingerale and a win for dublin at tomorrows match, harhar!:rolleyes:

what? she'd swap me for a brandy n gingerale and a win for dublin at tomorrows match, harhar!:rolleyes:

If she's selling you tell her I start the bidding at 50:D;)

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    kiwipower wrote: »
    Jaysus 20...

Now THATs service!

Thats fantastic!
    Love it when that happens!
    You get to window shop, and so does the Radiographer! ;)

HSE scan?

You can just get lucky sometimes and there is a 5second window that you will fit.
    Its easier in CT as the scans only take 2minutes, (takes longer to get a client on the table and off again!) The hold up with CT canbe getting contrast or dye in. Oral or IV it takes awhile and slows things down.

MR on the other hand scans take a good 30minute to an hour depending on what your scanning, and it takes longer getting clients on the table, due to extra checks and clothing changes etc.

It can seem like it takes ages to get imaging done, but its more the total volume we put through, can never match the demand. Unless the government Hierarchy will look at employing more Radigraphers, on more expensive shift arrangements. No reason an x-ray machine/CT machine or MR machine can not work 24hours 7days a week. But you have to incentivise staff to work these hours, and clients willing to have there appointments at unsocial times!

You can just get lucky sometimes and there is a 5second window that you will fit.
    Its easier in CT as the scans only take 2minutes, (takes longer to get a client on the table and off again!) The hold up with CT canbe getting contrast or dye in. Oral or IV it takes awhile and slows things down.

MR on the other hand scans take a good 30minute to an hour depending on what your scanning, and it takes longer getting clients on the table, due to extra checks and clothing changes etc.

It can seem like it takes ages to get imaging done, but its more the total volume we put through, can never match the demand. Unless the government Hierarchy will look at employing more Radigraphers, on more expensive shift arrangements. No reason an x-ray machine/CT machine or MR machine can not work 24hours 7days a week. But you have to incentivise staff to work these hours, and clients willing to have there appointments at unsocial times!

Sorry kiwi, but until radiographers stop double jobbing it will never happen :)

Glad it went well for your Aishae.

Sorry kiwi, but until radiographers stop double jobbing it will never happen :)

Glad it went well for your Aishae.

Whos double jobbing?
    Been a radiographer for more than 10 years, never double jobbed in my life!

Whos double jobbing?
    Been a radiographer for more than 10 years, never double jobbed in my life!

A lot of radiographers double job, HSE shifts and private sector scan clinics, and often turn down HSE shifts due to lucrative private clinic pay. Of course my statement was sweeping and I apologise if it offended.

BanzaiBk - ex HSE employee, housemate of 2 radiographers :)

A lot of radiographers double job, HSE shifts and private sector scan clinics, and often turn down HSE shifts due to lucrative private clinic pay. Of course my statement was sweeping and I apologise if it offended.

BanzaiBk - ex HSE employee, housemate of 2 radiographers :)

No offence taken.

That would be extremely rear, and its the first time I have heard of it.
    At present most radiographers (in ireland) are put off doing overtime due to tax. Theres no fun being at work at 4am just to pay the tax man! Also most hospitals are so over run with work that by the end of the week your not able to work more than your base hours. Especially considering in some hospitals you cant get your leave then. (One large hospital they have to apply for leave 18months in advance and still may not get it!)

I would assume your house mates have found away round the tax issue to make it worth there time. Though how would be beyond me. :D

• Advertisement

ah there lies the reason - i didnt need barium contrast today. usually i do. but it was just the sinus/nose area they were scanning. i assumed they only need it when scanning organs?
    or maybe its because they were focusing on the bone and it wouldnt need contrast to highlight it.
    so it was fast - usually with CT's the dye prep takes longer than the actual scan

funny thing i was just reminded off - the stench. its not huge. but there is a stench. anyone i tell about it says there isnt one. there feckin is. i can barely smell and i still caught a whiff of it today. i had cyberknife there a few years ago and i got the whiff off that too
    i asked the docs what the smell was - they said they didnt know. the machinery maybe? (at the time i was hoping it wasnt the smell of my brain frying :pac:)

Don't talk to me about being overworked! :) I loved my HSE job and genuinely enjoyed working with the public but middle management and basically third world conditions drove me to my wits end. I really wanted to make a career out of it but I guess I don't have the mental strength to do so. Thankfully there are people like yourself who are willing to work through the bullsh!t and deliver a service. Once you're in the system (and I know that getting into that system can be problematic) it works great imo.

As for my rog friends, more power to them I suppose.

(at the time i was hoping it wasnt the smell of my brain frying :pac:)

just got a flashback of the green mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I feel blue. Just said goodbye to my girlfriend, she's gone back to England for college, again. This is the 3rd September I've had to do that, for a different reason each time.

Stupid long distance relationships. :(

thats annoying me now - does radiation smell?

_____

green mile - great film

braaaaaaains

Spoke to my other half she's thinking on emigrating too :S

thats annoying me now - does radiation smell?

_____

green mile - great film

braaaaaaains

No radiation does not smell!
    It does not go round corners!
    It will not make you into WonderWoman! :p

This "smell" do you notice it every time you have an x-ray or CT?
    What does it smell like?

The only smell I use to get in CT was occasionally someones line would fall out and they would bleed. Some peoples blood is VERY smelly! Or sometimes the chlorine/alcohol etc we use to clean can smell.

It will not make you into WonderWoman! :p

You're right ! its pretty fxckin hard being this epic :P

its a very particular smell - i dont always smell it but thats probabely down to the fact i can only smell things when its a sudden waft of scent. when i do smell it with the ct i only smelled it when my face was directly under the ring.

when i had cyberknife - which is a radiosurgery so its basically a concentrated beam of radiation focused on specific cells - the robotic arm works 360 degrees around the head. i only caught the smell when the arm was aimed between my eyes or near the face.

both the same odd smell ive never smelled anywhere else.

it is a kind of mechanical smell. not unlike diesel in the sharpness but not as dirty mucky and heavy feeling in your nose. its sharp. medical smell too but not like the cleaning agents you smell throughout a hospital. i cant reall describe it beyond that as i say its not anything i coul pinpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I feel blue. Just said goodbye to my girlfriend, she's gone back to England for college, again. This is the 3rd September I've had to do that, for a different reason each time.

Stupid long distance relationships. :(

Ah sorry to hear that :( When will you see her next?

At least you've done it before so you know you can make it work :)

Advertisement