Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Off-Topic

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Big squeeze of a hug for you baby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Cheers guys! I am kind used to it, she was away in England for a year 2 years ago then she was 3 months in China (which was HELL. The Chinese do not make it easy to contact your girlfriend, believe me). Bt yeah, deffo learned a lot of skills to get through it!

She's only gone for 3 months (unless she gets a job, which I really hope she does, she deserves it at this point.) And i'm hoping to see her at least every few weeks (learned the hard way from last tme!)

Luckily in a few weeks I'll have all my PhD fieldwork done so I'm free to do my analysis and write up wherever I want. :)

Still poo though.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

[QUOTE=Aishae;74402472]its a very particular smell - i dont always smell it but thats probabely down to the fact i can only smell things when its a sudden waft of scent. when i do smell it with the ct i only smelled it when my face was directly under the ring.

when i had cyberknife - which is a radiosurgery so its basically a concentrated beam of radiation focused on specific cells - the robotic arm works 360 degrees around the head. i only caught the smell when the arm was aimed between my eyes or near the face.

both the same odd smell ive never smelled anywhere else.

it is a kind of mechanical smell. not unlike diesel in the sharpness but not as dirty mucky and heavy feeling in your nose. its sharp. medical smell too but not like the cleaning agents you smell throughout a hospital. i cant reall describe it beyond that as i say its not anything i coul pinpoint.[/QUOTE]

At the times you could smell it had you just been injected with contrast/dye?
    As these are known to cause a metallic taste in the back of the throat, could conceivable cause a scent.

I don't know about cyberknife have not worked in RT.

Either that or you are just smelling everyone else breath on the machine!!! :rolleyes:
    Or maybe you are picking up the smell of the motor inside the ring. It is a very big heavy piece of machinery that is well greased.

I feel blue. Just said goodbye to my girlfriend, she's gone back to England for college, again. This is the 3rd September I've had to do that, for a different reason each time.

Stupid long distance relationships. :(

Hugs its tough!!! :(
    That said you are like not having to answer to anyone why you spent ALL day on boards! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

kiwipower wrote: »

Either that or you are just smelling everyone else breath on the machine!!! :rolleyes:
    Or maybe you are picking up the smell of the motor inside the ring. It is a very big heavy piece of machinery that is well greased.
    haha!!

ive never had a ct without the dye until today and i smelled it pretty strong today.

i did a oogle and i find a lot of people asking about the smell - saying the techs and nurses usually havent heard mention of a smell and of those that had have people mention it... theyre none the wiser as to what it is.
    a lot of the folks talking about it seem to have had the sinus area scanned - so they have a dodgy nose.
    well this was my first sinus scan but the schnozz has been dodgy for a while - one nurse suggested it might be that damaged olfactory systems are more sensitive to the subtle smell given off... hmmm

hugs to bandc!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

Is watching Marley and me and almost crying because I know the ending :(

Sorry Aishae Im at a loss.
    What ever it is it has nothing to do with the x-rays passing through.
    It might be just the way a car smells
    or an aunt of mine who could tell what shop something came from by the smell of the package!

Sorry Aishae Im at a loss.
    What ever it is it has nothing to do with the x-rays passing through.
    It might be just the way a car smells
    or an aunt of mine who could tell what shop something came from by the smell of the package!

my dads contribution was 'ions?'

could she do that?!
    i can smell a bargain in a sewer

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Is watching Marley and me and almost crying because I know the ending :(

Yeah I know. I can only watch weepie films like that the once only. I have a dog and I hate to think the same will happen some day.

Aishae wrote: »
    my dads contribution was 'ions?'

could she do that?!
    i can smell a bargain in a sewer

She could don't know if she could smell a bargin though!

Ions don's have a scent. they are (simply) an atom with more or less electrons than protons. They are the base block of most molecules.

• Advertisement

Thats it I give up!
    All day trying to get HTC to sync with Ubuntu!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Thats it I give up!
    All day trying to get HTC to sync with Ubuntu!

TBH I could never get much to sync with ubuntu. I tried a bunch of different distros, ubuntu was def the best, but no joy.

Have you tried the linux forum? Those guys are super nice and knowledgeable, they really helped me a few times.

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Don't talk to me about being overworked! :) I loved my HSE job and genuinely enjoyed working with the public but middle management and basically third world conditions drove me to my wits end. I really wanted to make a career out of it but I guess I don't have the mental strength to do so. Thankfully there are people like yourself who are willing to work through the bullsh!t and deliver a service. Once you're in the system (and I know that getting into that system can be problematic) it works great imo.

As for my rog friends, more power to them I suppose.

Ahh Im no hero. Really its just a job. Its just tough in this country because of the history of vested interests, over ruling what is the best possible care for the population. And thats not just limited to politicians! Other healthcare services canbe easier to work in?:rolleyes:

Besides I've been on sick leave for nearly 3weeks now.:mad:
    Need to get back to work ASAP!

TBH I could never get much to sync with ubuntu. I tried a bunch of different distros, ubuntu was def the best, but no joy.

Have you tried the linux forum? Those guys are super nice and knowledgeable, they really helped me a few times.

Ohh I've been on Ubuntu forums half the day sorting an updating problem and trying to get to the bottom of a WiFi sucking all my battery power in 5seconds!

Only had Linux for about 4months was "cough" Vista before that. Might have to drop into Vista for a sync solution. :(

If this course doesnt pick up ill have to drop out - proper snooze fest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Ohh I've been on Ubuntu forums half the day sorting an updating problem and trying to get to the bottom of a WiFi sucking all my battery power in 5seconds!

Only had Linux for about 4months was "cough" Vista before that. Might have to drop into Vista for a sync solution. :(
    Give Windows 7 a shot, its a million times better than Vista.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Meesared wrote: »
    Give Windows 7 a shot, its a million times better than Vista.

An abacus would be better than Vista

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

stephen_n wrote: »
    An abacus would be better than Vista
    Good point

Norris back in the race WOOOOOOT!!! :D

Jaysus, I gotta read todays news yet. I'm surprised!

All of the talk about the CT smell and the treatment funding issue (which was a feckin nightmare 2 years ago) got me thinking back. And I could say too much about it. But the main thing is "Im so star trek" with all of the technology these days and this was the treatment (the arm moved around my head but I can't find the slideshow that showed this) still have the mask somewhere

(bah - can't enter an image tag on the phone)
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/Aishae/cyberknife/petra017.jpg

• Advertisement

Aishae wrote: »
    Jaysus, I gotta read todays news yet. I'm surprised!

he's not making any comments yet but hes asked TD's to back him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I have a better chance of winning an Oscar than he has of becoming president

thankfully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Spend 3 hours printing and prepping an example photobook for clients and they turn up and want individual pictures instead. Spend another 2 hours at the printers playing with ink. Go back to meet clients who were impressed with the photobook and are going to go with that :pac:

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Spend 3 hours printing and prepping an example photobook for clients and they turn up and want individual pictures instead. Spend another 2 hours at the printers playing with ink. Go back to meet clients who were impressed with the photobook and are going to go with that :pac:

too tempting to hit them over the head with said photobook :rolleyes:

anyone any tips to work off being "hot and bothered"?

I know but it's more than PG-13 WW :P

I know but it's more than PG-13 WW :P

I meant healthy I've tried cold showering but just came out feeling the same in a prune like fashion:p

I have a better chance of winning an Oscar than he has of becoming president

thankfully

If he gets to run he will probably win but short of taking sinn Feins backing that may prove difficult!

With Walsh on the trail of discriminatory comments towards the trans community and Norris' cock up in recent times I don't think he will. I'd like to see him get in, but I'm a sceptic at the moment.

• Advertisement

With Walsh on the trail of discriminatory comments towards the trans community and Norris' cock up in recent times I don't think he will. I'd like to see him get in, but I'm a sceptic at the moment.

Well considering he was still polling higher than any of the candidates when he was no longer in the race he must be in with a chance! I'm going to be voting for him even if he is not on the ballot because I think it is insane they get to tell us who we can and can't vote for and have the cheek to call it democracy!

Advertisement