Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navigon

Options
  • 07-03-2010 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I have been using a Navigon 7310 for the last couple of weeks and, even though the quality of the maps (Navteq) is streets ahead of the maps on my old TT720, the actual navigation is somewhat bizarre.

Just an example. Every day I drive the same route to and from work. This route is exactly 18 miles each way, not the shortest but certainly the fastest. The shortest route would save maybe 1.5 miles. Anyway I decided to test out the Navigon on the journey. Travelling from home to work it sends me by regular route regardless of whether I choose shortest, fastest or optimum route. However when I tried it on my return journey it really went awry. Using "Optimum" added around 8 miles to the journey, "Fastest" around 6 miles, and "Shortest" is around 3 miles longer than my regular route and 4.5 miles longer than the shortest route I know.

Is there anyone there with similar experience of Navigon and is there anything I can do to improve the navigation experience?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Not that familar with them. That sure does seem strange.
    Have you tried this with other routes.
    Navigon do have a facility here to report map errors.
    You can also report to Navteq here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭mossie

koolkid wrote: »
    Not that familar with them. That sure does seem strange.
    Have you tried this with other routes.
    Navigon do have a facility here to report map errors.
    You can also report to Navteq here

I did try it going from Cork City to Kanturk and it kept trying to send me off the road I was on. One one occasion it wanted me to turn right, drive a few hundred meters, turn left, left again and back on to the main road about 100m from where it suggested I turn off. Probably 500 meters of a detour where 100 meters would have got me to the same place. There were several similar cases on the trip.

I don't think it's a map error as all the roads are there, it tracks the roads perfectly, but the software just seems to calculate some very strange routes...

Advertisement