Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work v Family

Options
  • 07-03-2010 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Hi,

I currently work in railway maintenance in UK, but, desperately want to get to Ireland (as a family we were born in UK, Irish parents - subsequently my parents and siblings have all returned and settled around Leinster). So I've managed to end up in exactly the position my Dad was in back in the 80's - working in the UK and only getting to see my family a few times a year - kind of reverse emmigration.

Anyway I've decided enough is enough And I'll be moving to Irl as soon as my house is sold. Here's the rub though - I've spent the past 10 years working my way into a position that should only be held by someone with third level degree (engineering) which I don't have. Ideally I'd be able to move to a similair post with CIE, I'd happily accept further down the career ladder if neccessary, but, even with all the major investment in rail that I can see happening over there no suitable posts appear anywhere.

If house sale goes through I'm facing the very real chance of moving over and having to accept whatever I can get - shop/clerical/anything.... (don't worry folks, I'm not a dole tourist). I am fully decided on the move, miss being around family way too much, but I don't much fancy handing over my company car, laptop and blackberry and accepting a tabard and mop for my new role (but if that is what it takes..).eek.gif

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

the rpa have been looking for people late re the luas controls systems etc. maybe have a look at that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

merengueca wrote: »
    Hi,
    If house sale goes through I'm facing the very real chance of moving over and having to accept whatever I can get - shop/clerical/anything....

I hate to break it to you, but you're not likely to get offered those types of jobs, because:

1) You don't have recent, relevant experience in those areas, and

2) You're not Irish (Yes, I know UK born of Irish parents makes you feel Irish - but you've got the wrong accent and that's very very important here), but not "properly" foreign either. So you're unlikely to be offered the opportunities to work for less than minimum wage that get offered to Eastern Europeans.

I know this sounds harsh. But it's better that someone tells you now. (Yup, I've got the wrong accent too: different to yours, but still wrong).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

unJustMary wrote: »

2) You're not Irish (Yes, I know UK born of Irish parents makes you feel Irish - but you've got the wrong accent and that's very very important here), but not "properly" foreign either. So you're unlikely to be offered the opportunities to work for less than minimum wage that get offered to Eastern Europeans.

I know this sounds harsh. But it's better that someone tells you now. (Yup, I've got the wrong accent too: different to yours, but still wrong).

What a load of codswollop!!

You have just as much of a chance as everyone else, if you can prove you're the right person for the job then why would they turn you down because of your accent. I am irish, working in Ireland and the company I work for employs, 6 irish, 4 polish and 1 hungarian & , therer are no wage discrepencies and there is no difference in treatment. As long as you can prove that you can do a job well and to the best of your ability then there is no reason why you don't have the same chance as everyone else in getting a job.

Plus of course a positive attitude always helps :)

I'm sure you'll pick up something and best of luck with the move

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

you could also check out the irish rail website for vacancies
    and or you could post a cv to the human resource manager irish rail connolly station dublin 1

some qualifications may be recognised (IRSE for example)
    others wont (PTS PICOP ) etc.

you can but try

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

I hate to break it to you, but you're not likely to get offered those types of jobs, because:

1) You don't have recent, relevant experience in those areas, and

Thanks for the help in clearing up my ethnic make up, cultural identity so easily wrapped up. Now, do you think if I deployed my uncanny Bosco impression at an interview it would improve my chances, or would my undeniably British willingness to que patiently give me away?;)

Folks - thanks for your help and advice, very useful!! I've already sent a speculative application into Iarnrod Eireann, I'll pursue the RPA route as well (just without IRSE - never got around to changing bullbs and fuses).
    Just need someone to buy the house now.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

jobucks wrote: »
    if you can prove you're the right person for the job then why would they turn you down because of your accent.

Because right now there are dozens, if not hundreds, of people who can do the job extremely well. Employers can, and will, use any tool they can to select who they want. And many Irish people have an attitude of "Irish people for Irish jobs" - much the same way that many people in my home country stopped hiring Irish backpackers when the economy got tighter.

I'm glad that your company isn't like that. But I know that there are some, and not a few either, that are.

I don't think that the OP's ethnicity would be an issue if there are any railway-maintenance roles that he would be highly suited for. I do think that it will be an issue if he's trying to get into another field (eg clerical, retail) were there are plenty of unemployed Irish people, and where he has no experience.

I too thought I'd have no difficulty getting into that type of work when work in my profession dried up. Totally positive attitude. Tailored CV to apply credibly for all sorts of things. Applied for anything vaguely possible. But not a squeak. And comparing notes with other immigrants from English-speaking backgrounds, we all found the same thing. I consider myself lucky to have picked up some very casual office-temping - and am convinced that the only reason is because the recruiter who it's through is also foreign.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I too thought I'd have no difficulty getting into that type of work when work in my profession dried up. Totally positive attitude. Tailored CV to apply credibly for all sorts of things. Applied for anything vaguely possible. But not a squeak. And comparing notes with other immigrants from English-speaking backgrounds, we all found the same thing. I consider myself lucky to have picked up some very casual office-temping - and am convinced that the only reason is because the recruiter who it's through is also foreign.

Did you by any chance compare notes with any non-immigrants? Because the majority of them are in the exact same position. It would never have anything to do with the fact that there are over 400,000 people looking for work at the moment? Many of them highly skilled, many with lots of experience etc. Employers have the pick of the bunch so of course they will choose the person most suited to the job and not be fooled by a bit of tailoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

as far as i know maintenance of the LUAS is doen by alstom - seperate contracts for P Way and trams

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ouchette

Employers can, and will, use any tool they can to select who they want. And many Irish people have an attitude of "Irish people for Irish jobs"

This has been my experience too, unfortunately. It was me (English), the American and the Pole who got made redundant in my old team, while the 2 Irish guys kept their jobs.

Then I was getting plenty of interviews, 1 or 2 a week for a about 3 months with feedback not giving good reasons for not getting offered the jobs. I had my interview technique assessed by one of those firms that sorts out your c.v. and does practice interviews with you (a reputable one), and they couldn't praise me enough, so no problems there. Similar experience for several non-Irish friends.

None of that proves anything of course. It's possible it was all to do with having a smaller network of contacts, foreign qualifications, perhaps the others were all walking into the interview and announcing they'd be willing to work for half the advertised salary, I don't know... but it makes me suspicious.

Anyway- a quick attempt to bring this back on topic- OP, good luck to you and I hope it works out, but now's a bad time to be moving to Ireland and realistically I think you're going to have trouble finding something.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

I don't think that the OP's ethnicity would be an issue if there are any railway-maintenance roles that he would be highly suited for. I do think that it will be an issue if he's trying to get into another field (eg clerical, retail) were there are plenty of unemployed Irish people, and where he has no experience.

:eek::eek: I'm a girl!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement