Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green boxes at top of estates

Options
  • 07-03-2010 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any idea what the new green boxes at the top of some estates in skerries are. They're on top of a 1m pole and about the size of a postbox. Doesn't seen to be anything going into them or anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

They aren't just in Skerries-i've seen them popping up all over Dublin recently. They installed them in my mam's estate at the same time they were putting up new street lamps so presumed they were an electrical box or something similar but i could be wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Pick boxes for the postman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

whats a pick box?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Basically mail that can't fit in the posties bag is left there for them to pick up when they get to the estate/box in question

ah so if there was parcels and stuff a van would drop them to the pick boxes and the postman would then take it from the pick box to the house?

• Advertisement

Yup, they'll leave extra mail bags, parcels etc in them for the posties to deliver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

This concept has existed for at least 10 years in the UK - not sure about the continent. Good to see us catching up!

AFAIK they've been used over here for the past few years. Maybe with all the new developments in recent times they've just become necessary in some places and so are only appearing there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

An Post are stream lining there deliveries all over Ireland and as a result most mail for North County Dublin will come through their new office in Balbriggan. Already Balbriggan, Skerries Stamullen Ballyboughal and Naul are delivered from there. Later this year Rush, Lusk, Oldtown and Garristown are due to move in also. Donabate, Portrane and Malahide are done from a sorting office (Delivery Service Unit) near Woodies in Swords while Rolestown, Swords and River Valley are done from office on Rathbeale Rd.

These boxes are called "drop box's". The postperson can identify areas where he can have a bag of mail left in one of these as it is not practical to return to the office to pick up a second, third or fourth bag.

Postmen are picked up in the morning by a transporter and brought to Balbriggan where the mail is processed and then dropped where they start their delivery and work through to a finish picking up bags along the way. No parcels, packets or registered items will be in them.

Thats very interesting thanks Leo.

By anychance leo do you drive the white post van?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

so does this mean, that by miracle of miracles, when someone sends us a special delivery (express post/recorded post) that they might actually bring the item to our house, rather than put a leaflet in the door claiming that we were out when they called (even when you were in, watching for them)? Will we be saved having to go to collect every item ourselves!!??? now that would be something to write home about! ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Thanks Leo. Aren't they going to build a new sorting office in Swords too? I read something about it in the Fingal Independent.

Martron wrote: »
    Thats very interesting thanks Leo.

By anychance leo do you drive the white post van?

Thats me:). The happy one , always smiling:);)

ha ha ....... i will introduce myself next time you try and drop bills in

so does this mean, that by miracle of miracles, when someone sends us a special delivery (express post/recorded post) that they might actually bring the item to our house, rather than put a leaflet in the door claiming that we were out when they called (even when you were in, watching for them)? Will we be saved having to go to collect every item ourselves!!??? now that would be something to write home about! ;)

If you have a problem with whoever delivers you mail you should let them know, not much point coming on here going into a little rant about it. Its insulting to the many good workers in An Post.
    Do you have a door bell? Does it work? Do you have a knocker? Does you T.V. and radio be up loud if you are doing a few jobs around the house or out at the clothes line? I am happy that every day when I sign off I have done a good job if I didnt I would be told in no uncertain terms.
    What general area do you live? (not your exact address)

I can assure you if you go to your local office and complain it will be taken seriously. Also the packet/parcel/reg letter in question will have the initials of the person who attempted to deliver it. You can also contact customer care on 1850-57 58 59 You can make a complaint and it will be followed up with by least 2 enquireys from customer care team and from local manager.

One thing that does drive postpersons crazy is people who just dont bother to answer the door and believe me this happens to me every day. Often you hear people in the house and just as you have put docket in door you hear "Ah were you looking for me"? You would often feel like saying "no I was just excercising my knuckles on your door"

If An Post dont do a good job, which I believe they do you would have ComReg and local T.Ds on in a flash. The vast majority of people I have worked with over the last 30yrs have been excellent workers who give a good service.

I could go on and on but seriously make a complaint if your not happy with your service.

Thanks Leo. Aren't they going to build a new sorting office in Swords too? I read something about it in the Fingal Independent.

Yes. Unsure of exact details but a new office has been approved by An Post and the C.W.U. Think it may be further out the Rathbeale Road.

The one in Balbriggan is massive. There are approx 32 deliverey Duties in it so far and this will increase to nearly 50 when its fully occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I have made a complaint - in fact two, both met with a standard response that it would be investigated and then months later nothing comes of it.

I have been in my house on numerous occasions WAITING and WATCHING for the postie, only to get a leaflet in my door. Last time it happened I managed to catch him before he got to the corner, I pointed out that I WAS in and could I have my parcel. He said he doesn't carry them with him as he often has a full bag and can't carry them as well.

I am not the only one who has had this problem - go on consumer issues and see how many people are home only to have this 'we called when you were out' leaflet in the door. Many have been told the same thing as me.
    When I went to balbriggan sorting office to point out that even when I am in no one ever knocks, I was told the same thing - the postman/woman can't manage to carry the parcels as well as normal post so they just bring the leaflet and you can collect it yourself. Also it says on the form to bring ID but I have never been asked for this, so anyone could pick up your post - kind of does away with the point of door to door recorded delivery!

Fair enough, I don't expect the postie to be lugging around excess weight, but in those instances the van should deliver the items. I don't see why I should pay for door to door recorded delivery and then have to go, get in my car and collect the item myself.

Anyway, I wansn't having a rant, i was making a tongue in cheek comment, and if you saw it as a rant, then god help you if you saw me on a bad day! then you'd really know what a rant is!

I have made a complaint - in fact two, both met with a standard response that it would be investigated and then months later nothing comes of it.

I have been in my house on numerous occasions WAITING and WATCHING for the postie, only to get a leaflet in my door. Last time it happened I managed to catch him before he got to the corner, I pointed out that I WAS in and could I have my parcel. He said he doesn't carry them with him as he often has a full bag and can't carry them as well.

I am not the only one who has had this problem - go on consumer issues and see how many people are home only to have this 'we called when you were out' leaflet in the door. Many have been told the same thing as me.
    When I went to balbriggan sorting office to point out that even when I am in no one ever knocks, I was told the same thing - the postman/woman can't manage to carry the parcels as well as normal post so they just bring the leaflet and you can collect it yourself. Also it says on the form to bring ID but I have never been asked for this, so anyone could pick up your post - kind of does away with the point of door to door recorded delivery!

Fair enough, I don't expect the postie to be lugging around excess weight, but in those instances the van should deliver the items. I don't see why I should pay for door to door recorded delivery and then have to go, get in my car and collect the item myself.

Anyway, I wansn't having a rant, i was making a tongue in cheek comment, and if you saw it as a rant, then god help you if you saw me on a bad day! then you'd really know what a rant is!

You need to keep phoning altough you might say why should I WHICH IS FAIR ENOUGH. You pay for a service you are entitled to it. Still I would phone 1850 57-58 59

I covered most of what your points in my previos post. On the I.D issue you do have the Docket in your hand, and some staff there do ask for I.D. They know you now so no need to ask for I.D.

My tongue in cheek comment could be "Ah you are just moaning" which would not be a very nice thing to say but thankfully I am having a good day;) Nite Nite

Advertisement