Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapest place to buy camera online?

• 07-03-2010 11:04pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys is there are particular websites that are always known for having the best prices? My girlfriend is looking for a Canon 500D and a lens - preferably something better than the standard 18-55.

When I bought mine I got it from Hong Kong - some of it got through and some I had to pay taxes on. I think I heard about one place that guarantee no tax somehow.

What is the cheapest good place to buy online?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

There's a 500D on adverts that claims to be good as new for €699, but you want brand new is it?

[edit] Actually the seller claims it is brand new, says he ordered one from the UK and got sent 2! Might be a good bargain for you.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks I'll take a look I am open to second hand.

If not, good websites to check?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

for the sake of 12 euro i would go with pixmania. getting sent 2 of the same camera........ extremly lucking :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Martron wrote: »
    for the sake of 12 euro i would go with pixmania. getting sent 2 of the same camera........ extremly lucking :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If his name is Kevin I know him and it's true, I'm sure if anyone wants he'll be able to show the email trail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

ah i am sure it could happen. if he got it for free you think he would sell it cheaper ;);)

Doesn't give his name, his alias is lobber. I'm sure it's legit, and he'd probably knock a few euro off if it's not sold by now. I seen that advert a few weeks back on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Zascar wrote: »
    Thanks I'll take a look I am open to second hand.

If not, good websites to check?

The 500D is Eur719.99 from Argos. This compares reasonably well
    with most on-line sellers. You might save a few quid if you get it on
    eBay. Watch out for refurbished cameras or non-European models which
    might not be covered by Canon's warranty.

Not sure how old this Argos cat is I have here, as the cover has been ripped to shreds by the kids :D

But I see an EOS 500D with carry case, 4GB sandisk SDHC card and a tripod for €780

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Got a 450D (XSi) 18-55mm IS kit from a dude in Scotland by the name of Ian Keros. Cost me (£429 + £16 postage = £445 @ 0.8694) €511. UK warranty.

As for the 500D, I'm sure if you ask him about a different lens, he'd have a answer for you. His email is kerso1123@msn.com

Wouldn't touch pixmania with a 15 meter bargepole.

• Advertisement

Why not? Is it a bad site? Slow delivery? I've never bought from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

I have also used Ian Kerso several times (for lens purchases not bodies) and find him extemely good to deal with. As far as I know he sources equipment in the US. Canon Lenses are covered by a world wide guarantee so thats no problem, but just check that the bodies have a similar level of cover. I'm sure Ian will advise.

Pete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

I bought my D700 from HK through ebay and saved myself €1k. Thats would I would recommend. I am about to buy some more lenses and I am doing that through HK also. As long as you look into who you are buying from its very reliable and cheap
    Just make sure you avoid anyone with more than one or two complaints of things not being as advertised and you should be ok.

So far I have spent €3.5k in HK and happy with it all :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

What ebay seller did u buy from? Did you have to pay import taxes?

I heard there was a seller who marks everything as warranty repair or something so you don;t have to pay taxes...

What ebay seller did u buy from? Did you have to pay import taxes?

I heard there was a seller who marks everything as warranty repair or something so you don;t have to pay taxes...
    This is who I bought my body off
    http://stores.ebay.ie/id=108545420

As for import, yes. I paid .... some :) Depends on whats on the invoice I suppose :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Pete67 wrote: »
    Canon Lenses are covered by a world wide guarantee so thats no problem, but just check that the bodies have a similar level of cover

From my knowledge:

I have bought a Rebel T1i kit (body + 18-55 lens) from B&H over Christmas while on a shopping trip to NYC. The sales assistant advised that Canon only provide a North American warranty to products sold in North America. The warranty document in the box backs this up - clearly says "valid only in US aand Canada.

So I bought an additional international warranty (it was about $40 I think), which covers the camera if something were to go wrong.

yip, they are pretty cool. Plus they have a call centre which is open HK office hours, I have used this btw. They are helpful, taking language barrier aside.

You should shop around though, they are often as not the cheapest around. Some products they have great prices and yet I have seen different lenses or flashes way cheaper else where. Do your research 1st :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Sorry,dont want to hijack thread but no point starting a new one either when its a similar query.

Thinking of purchasing the below deal.I have had a look around and this is the best deal iv seen online.

Somebody above said not to deal with pixmania.Any specific reason? Iv purchased from them in the past and got on grand (no photography equipment tho).

If anybody could recommend any sites selling Nikon on e-bay i will gladly have a look.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4128820/art/nikon/d5000-af-s-dx-vr-18-55mm.html

Thanks

No worries - I'm not even 100% set on Canon myself - might look into Nikon too. I just need a camera that does HD video with a good 'all in one' lens around the 18-135+ mark

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

the_syco wrote: »
    Got a 450D (XSi) 18-55mm IS kit from a dude in Scotland by the name of Ian Keros. Cost me (£429 + £16 postage = £445 @ 0.8694) €511. UK warranty.

As for the 500D, I'm sure if you ask him about a different lens, he'd have a answer for you. His email is kerso1123@msn.com

Wouldn't touch pixmania with a 15 meter bargepole.

Kerso, has a very good reputation, but I believe he imports from H.K. Personally I prefer a "bricks and mortar" establishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Sorry,dont want to hijack thread but no point starting a new one either when its a similar query.

Thinking of purchasing the below deal.I have had a look around and this is the best deal iv seen online.

Somebody above said not to deal with pixmania.Any specific reason? Iv purchased from them in the past and got on grand (no photography equipment tho).

If anybody could recommend any sites selling Nikon on e-bay i will gladly have a look.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4128820/art/nikon/d5000-af-s-dx-vr-18-55mm.html

Thanks

Never had a problem with Pixmania delivery or products.... I have got numerous items through them including a Canon Dslr a year or so ago..

1 slight thing.. no english user manual.. but i just downloaded one!

Never had a problem with Pixmania delivery or products.... I have got numerous items through them including a Canon Dslr a year or so ago..

1 slight thing.. no english user manual.. but i just downloaded one!

Thanks for the reply. Think I will go with them and they offer a download for the english manual on the site also. So i have no worries there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭dinneenp

£574/€636 here.

Some people say they had bad expierence with Camerabox ( it's in a thread here somewhere) but I ordered from them and had no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

I'm new to photography so not here to give loads of advice or anything but have come across this handy website..

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

I bought a D5000 with kit lens from jessops in Jan. I was drawn to the spec of the camera sensor...it's sony built cmos...so great on battery life and is the same electronics as you'd find in a higher spec'ed camera. I availed of the cashback offer £50 (actually NIKON sent a cheque for €60 payable in UK only...which was weird). In the end I paid about €550.

The glass/optics seem pretty good. Since buying the camera I've taken quiet a lot of indoor flashless shots and the results were pretty good. The outdoor performance has been excellent.

Anyhoo, very happy with my purchase.

www.camerabox.co.uk looks like a great site!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

www.camerabox.co.uk looks like a great site!

A quick google suggests otherwise, or do a search here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Might not be if (when) the revenue add the taxes due, at the least you should figure out what the worst case scenario could be.

• Advertisement

Was gonna ask was camerabox reliable and then saw this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055710403&highlight=camerabox

amongst other bad reports.

I'll be stearing clear of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Pete67 wrote: »
    but just check that the bodies have a similar level of cover. I'm sure Ian will advise.
    Buys them from the US, pays UK tax, so you get a UK warranty.
    So I bought an additional international warranty (it was about $40 I think), which covers the camera if something were to go wrong.
    IIRC, this means you must ship it back to the USA...
    Kerso, has a very good reputation, but I believe he imports from H.K. Personally I prefer a "bricks and mortar" establishment.
    From my research, it seems he's based in the US, and buys cameras there. He mails them to his wife in Scotland, who then mails to camera to you. As he pays the tax into Scotland, you get a UK warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

nilhg wrote: »
    Might not be if (when) the revenue add the taxes due, at the least you should figure out what the worst case scenario could be.

From recent experience with Customs and Excise I can confirm that they do not accept the declared value on the package at face value - I imported some canon accessories from HK in January, and I was asked to provide either an official receipt or a PayPal invoice before they would access the VAT due. It was still cheaper than buying from a European supplier, but not by much, and delivery was delayed by weeks due to a backlog in Customs.

In future I will avoid dealing with HK suppliers and find the best deal online from within the EU, just to avoid the hassle and delays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭StraddleFor6

gerardduff wrote: »
    I'm new to photography so not here to give loads of advice or anything but have come across this handy website..

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

Excellent site. Nice find. I know www.warehouseexpress.com are reliable, but can't find anything about warranties. Can I assume camera's bought from there come with the standard one year warranty?

Also www.misfuds.com. Anyone have experience with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Warehouseexpress warranty is the standard manufacturers warranty on all bodies, lenses etc... you also have the option of buying extended warranty (Mack) They are reliable but you can always find cheaper. I'm a fan of simplyelectronics now I know how to get decent service out of them :D

Just updating that I received my D5000 today from pixmania after ordering at 9pm Monday night. Iv yet to open the box as it is sitting beside me at work. (Boo hiss).

But cant argue with a 60hour turn around. Looking forward to being a big kid tonight and playing with my new toy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Just updating that I received my D5000 today from pixmania after ordering at 9pm Monday night. Iv yet to open the box as it is sitting beside me at work. (Boo hiss).

But cant argue with a 60hour turn around. Looking forward to being a big kid tonight and playing with my new toy!

Congrats. But how is your french!?

Congrats. But how is your french!?

ha, mon francais est tres bon, si je n'auris aucun probleme a changer les parametres de langue.

"my french is good, so i should be able to change the settings" and downloads an english user manual.

Advertisement