Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couscous recipes

Options
  • 07-03-2010 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Any tried and trusted suggestions on how to make a nice couscous dish, both hot and cold ones.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Dunno, I usually just pour some vegetable stock on it then add some veg and tuna or chicken or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Couscous works best if it can absorb the flavours of what you're serving with it. I like it most with a meat stew - beef or lamb - that has a tomato base. I ladle some of the sauce into a jug, and add a stock cube and boiling water to the amount I want to cook the couscous. Then add to the couscous, allow to soak in for a minute, then microwave for a minute or two. Fluff up with a fork, and then serve with the meat stew.

Favourite would be a lamb stew with tomato sauce and spices like cumin, turmeric and cinnamon, with some dried fruit like apricots added (they swell and add a lovely sweetness to the sauce) and possibly some aubergine in the stew itself.

Using the method described, make up the couscous but add some drained, canned chickpeas and some flaked almonds. Then serve with the stew.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I prefer Couscous as a salady sort of side dish, so I usually make the couscous as per directions and add chopped cuke, tomato,scallion/red onion, grated carrot, cold peas, and possibly diced peppers. Toss with olive oil and salt and pepper and chill before you serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I heat some ground cumin and corriander in some olive oil pour over the cous cous (that was cooked in some chicken stock) and then add some white wine vinegar. Loads of fresh herbs and peppers and scallions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

If you like tomatoes, you'll like this.

Take a large mug, and fill it two-thirds with couscous. Pour in boiling water so that it fills the mug about 1cm above the top of the couscous. Cover and leave.

Chop 4-6 large, ripe tomatoes and a big handful of fresh coriander, mint, or a combination of your favourite fresh green herbs, and a couple of scalllions.

Return to your couscous which should be ready to eat, and fluff it up with a fork. Transfer it to a bowl with the tomatoes, scallions and herbs. Squeeze the juice of a lemon over the top and drizzle with a good quality oil. Add a good helping of salt and pepper, toss, and serve as a side with basically anything. Very summery and fresh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Kindof along the same lines as Neuro's:

Into a large bowl (everything chopped) add:
    Spring onions
    Cherry tomatoes
    Clove of garlic
    lemon zest (I like lots)
    Dried apricots
    Toasted pine nuts
    Fresh Coriander (again, I like lots)
    Some smoked paprika, if you have it.
    Salt, pepper, lemon juice, olive oil

How I prepare cous cous:
    Melt a good knob of butter
    Add cous cous (about 2 cups makes a good big bowl)
    Stir in butter for a few minutes
    Add double volume boiling water (4 cups).
    It will bubble up, take off heat, cover and leave to sit for ten - 15 minutes.

Combine cous cous with other stuff.
    Eat warm, or cold. More salad stuff and less cous cous makes it much tastier but it doesn't go as far.

Could also add chopped mint or flat leaf parsley, some coriander seed, cumin seed, fennel, seed etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Thanks folks going to try them all out, for some reason never liked the look of it but tried some the other day with a vinagerette (sp?) and it was so yum!
    Deffo. agree it absorbs the flavours I find even more so than something like rice so looking forward to trying out the recipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 poonamt93

Make the couscous according to package directions, but use chicken or veggie broth in place of the water. Add a pat of butter to the broth and your favorite dried herbs or seasonings. When the couscous is done, fluff with a fork and fold in some toasted nuts, halved grape tomatoes, sliced olives, and drizzle with olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add shredded cooked chicken or even canned tuna (drain well first) for a complete meal...serve warm or cold. Good luck! :)

Advertisement