Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work experience in cork city (with animals)

Options
  • 07-03-2010 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

Hello, i am looking for places to get work experience with animals.

I have applied to do the Animal Care course in St. John's College where there is work experience once a week. My plan is to go on and do Veterinary Nursing in the second year. So i have a list of vets around the city and i hope i get something.

I don't want to be held back this year if i don't get a placement at a vet's. I would love to go for the course and if the opportunity arises in the future and i was to get work at a vet's i would only have to do another year.

So i am very interested in working with animals but i don't know where to start. So, what type of animal establishments are around the city? Kennels, grooming parlours or a combination of them? Are there any rescues in the city? How far is fota wildlife park from the city?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Mariilyn

fota is like 30 minutes (car) away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Gone With The W

you should try the dogs trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭annefitzy

you should try the dogs trust.
    I think you have missread the post the op is looking for work experience in Cork not Dublin;)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

check out irishanimals.ie and contact some shelters and stuff.
    might be worth posting in the animal section :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

why not ring around a few busy veterinary practices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

The Guide dogs are always looking for volunteers.
    They are at the end of the Model farm road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

I don't think Fota take anyone on for the one day a week work experience, unless they have since changed that, but they have taken one or two people on during the block week of work...just be sure to ask them early, once you know when your block week is.

As already mentioned, the Guide Dogs take on volunteers. Know someone who did the course who worked in the kennels there while on work experience.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Cobh Train goes straight to fota as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭TwilightWillow

Hey, im currently doing that course and I must say it is extremely difficult to get work experience in a vets practice. You do have one day a week work experience, but you dont get allocated this day until you actually start the course. The vets will only tell you to ring back when you have your day. But ring and get your name in early anyway, so they have you on record.

Where abouts would you be living? and I could recommend a few vets/groomers around you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Mariilyn

does anyone know; where are possibilities to work permanent with animals?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Hey, im currently doing that course and I must say it is extremely difficult to get work experience in a vets practice. You do have one day a week work experience, but you dont get allocated this day until you actually start the course. The vets will only tell you to ring back when you have your day. But ring and get your name in early anyway, so they have you on record.

Where abouts would you be living? and I could recommend a few vets/groomers around you.

I'm from galway and will be moving for the course and getting a bicycle so anywhere around the city or outside the city that's easy enough to get to and from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

The Animals Home in Mahon?

Near Mahon Point, they have a Vet right next door too.

Advertisement