Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

realizing potential of .223

Options
  • 08-03-2010 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

hi everyone, i just want to take this opportunity to thank shanmoll308 for helping me to realize the potential of my tika tactical .223 . he knows his stuff and in no time had me plinking nicely at 300 yards:D

i was delighted with that and didnt think it would do much better;) think again says shenmoll, next was 400, with same results , i was over the moon thinking to my self how good the gun was . but there was more .

500 , i'm thinking to my self that i might get a lucky one or two some where on the larger 2 ft plate. imagine my surprise when it dinged on the plate exactly where i was aiming. :D:D

now says shanmoll. get on that 6inch steel disc on the right and give me a nice tidy group.
    shot 1 , "ding" dead center i'm now grinning ear to ear.
    shot 2 , "ding" just above center , a beginning of a nice group.
    shot 3 , pressure on , "ding" back in the first hole dead center, i dont believe it

again thanks to shanmoll308 i would never have done it with out his help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Thats some fine shooting .;)What .223 ammo did ya use ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

tomcat220t wrote: »
    Thats some fine shooting .;)What .223 ammo did ya use ?

i was using 75g hornady HPBT for that group, but i was getting almost as good groups with 55g v-max hornady and federal 55g v-shock. i still cant believe it.:D

i should have taken more pics to show the progress but i was having two much fun at the time. i tested 55g sako game head, 55g federal v-shock, 55g hornady v-max and 75g hornady BTHP. all with very good results. we worked out the minutes on my scope for all of these for 100y, 300y, 400y, and the magic 500.

here are two pics of 100 yard first one is the 75g hornady, all 4 together. second one is 55g hornady , i pulled the first shot thats why its a little gap between the rest of them. thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    i was using 75g hornady HPBT for that group, but i was getting almost as good groups with 55g v-max hornady and federal 55g v-shock. i still cant believe it.:D

i should have taken more pics to show the progress but i was having two much fun at the time. i tested 55g sako game head, 55g federal v-shock, 55g hornady v-max and 75g hornady BTHP. all with very good results. we worked out the minutes on my scope for all of these for 100y, 300y, 400y, and the magic 500.

here are two pics of 100 yard first one is the 75g hornady, all 4 together. second one is 55g hornady , i pulled the first shot thats why its a little gap between the rest of them. thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it.:rolleyes:

The 223 with the right ammo is a capable performer all right-heres a link to a thread on the same subject;

<mod snip>

with an even faster twist and heavier ammo they will go to the 1 k mark.

thanks foxshooter243, my tika has a 1 8 twist, the lad that was with me said that i should have no problem getting out to 800 y , i'm looking forward to trying,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Thats some nice shootin paulo. How much of a drop were you alowing for @ 4 and 500yds??

• Advertisement

Thats some nice shootin paulo. How much of a drop were you alowing for @ 4 and 500yds??

thanks, 4 min @300 , 11 3/4 min @400 , 13 1/4 min @ 500.with the 75g BTHP.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭k_d

whats your setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Fair play thats some shooting, need to get out with my .223 and get some long range practice in :D:D

k_d wrote: »
    whats your setup?

tika t3 tactical .223 , t8 mod , Harris bypod 6-9. swift scope 4-12x 56. i think thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

well lads
    any one any links to bullet drop charts for the .233 out too 600-700 yrds for 55 gr rounds ,or do you have to work them out yourself ??

ian

• Advertisement

ianoo wrote: »
    well lads
    any one any links to bullet drop charts for the .233 out too 600-700 yrds for 55 gr rounds ,or do you have to work them out yourself ??

ian

i could ask the lad that brought me out, he worked them out him self. they were bang on in my rifle. what are you using .

well lads

ian

heres a ballistic calculator;

http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/ballistics-calculator

input your velocity and other requirements and it will throw you up a chart, you will then have to check the accuraccy in the field..any problems pm me and ill help you out;)

input your velocity and other requirements and it will throw you up a chart, you will then have to check the accuraccy in the field..any problems pm me and ill help you out;)

how do you work out the bc of the round. its one of the fields that needs to be filled in

how do you work out the bc of the round. its one of the fields that needs to be filled in
    give me the name and weight of the bullet your using and ill tell you the B.C, I get the b.c figures from reloading manuals and ballistic programs such as sierra infinity and the likes..

give me the name and weight of the bullet your using and ill tell you the B.C, I get the b.c figures from reloading manuals and ballistic programs such as sierra infinity and the likes..

i use 55gr hornady v-max. and 75gr BTHP hornady .

i could ask the lad that brought me out, he worked them out him self. they were bang on in my rifle. what are you using .
    thanks paulo ,im using federal 55gr v-shock nosler ballistic tips

thanks foxshooter ,thats a handy site goig to 1000yrds ,going to have to find out what the b.c for the rds are do

thanks again lads
    ian

thanks paulo ,im using federal 55gr v-shock nosler ballistic tips

thanks foxshooter ,thats a handy site goig to 1000yrds ,going to have to find out what the b.c for the rds are do

thanks again lads
    ian

The b.c of 55 grain noslers is .267;)

i use 55gr hornady v-max. and 75gr BTHP hornady .

55 grain v max are 0.255 and the 75 grain BTHP are 0.395;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Hey Foxshooter, may I ask if you have the B.C for 40 grain v-max. Cheers for that link, damn handy

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Sorry to jump in here lads but just wanted to say thanks for that foxshooter, its was wrecking my head trying to find the above info.

• Advertisement

kay 9 wrote: »
    Hey Foxshooter, may I ask if you have the B.C for 40 grain v-max. Cheers for that link, damn handy

40 grain v max in 224 calibre are 0.200 and if you are shooting 40 grain v max in a 204 they are 0.210..:)

40 grain v max in 224 calibre are 0.200 and if you are shooting 40 grain v max in a 204 they are 0.210..:)
    Thanks for that buddy, forgot to state calibre:o

http://www.biggameinfo.com/BalCalc.aspx

heres another calculator which will give you drops with tighter increments, remember that you need to input good info to get good info out and then recheck in the field;)

I must print off a few of the different types. Handy to have.

Hornady .204 , 40gr vmax is .275 B/C ;)

Hornady .204 , 40gr vmax is .275 B/C ;)

correct im looking at the 32 grainers:o, thats what you get reading without glasses:D

correct im looking at the 32 grainers:o, thats what you get reading without glasses:D
    Life would be borning if everyone got it right all of the time .Some good info.. on the b/c of the .223 ,fair play foxshooter .

The b.c of 55 grain noslers is .267;)
    fair play foxshooter
    you are playing a blinder :):):)

ian

Life would be borning if everyone got it right all of the time .Some good info.. on the b/c of the .223 ,fair play foxshooter .
    +1 on that, cheers Foxshooter...

Regards Kay 9. Tried out that today to 350 yds and its spot on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Saddlebags

Excellent info here but here is a spanner in the works.
    What happens when you stick a suppressor on?
    My T3 lite is zeroed at 200 yrds but the round drops dramatically when put through a T4 (almost 8 inches! but when re-zeroed is sub MOA) Should I expect a pro rata drop across the ranges or will it I find it is all over the place?
    I will find out next day I'm on the range but just wondering what to expect.

Advertisement