Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

realizing potential of .223

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

kay 9 wrote: »
    +1 on that, cheers Foxshooter...

Regards Kay 9. Tried out that today to 350 yds and its spot on

Good to hear Kay 9!..what bullet are you using in your rifle?

Saddlebags wrote: »
    Excellent info here but here is a spanner in the works.
    What happens when you stick a suppressor on?
    My T3 lite is zeroed at 200 yrds but the round drops dramatically when put through a T4 (almost 8 inches! but when re-zeroed is sub MOA) Should I expect a pro rata drop across the ranges or will it I find it is all over the place?
    I will find out next day I'm on the range but just wondering what to expect.

I would think you should expect a pro rata drop with the mod on....an eight inch drop is outside the norm with a mod fitted is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Saddlebags

I would think you should expect a pro rata drop with the mod on....an eight inch drop is outside the norm with a mod fitted is it not?
    8" may be a slight embellishment but not by much, 6/7" for def. A fellow shooter with a T8 said he was dropping close to 8" too.
    Having said that, once re zeroed it is excellent - very happy with it, shooting 75gr BTHP hornady ammo.

Saddlebags wrote: »
    8" may be a slight embellishment but not by much, 6/7" for def. A fellow shooter with a T8 said he was dropping close to 8" too.
    Having said that, once re zeroed it is excellent - very happy with it, shooting 75gr BTHP hornady ammo.

have the mod fitted when you zero for the chart and everything should correspond I reckon..a ballistc chart is just a prediction of the external ballistics and should be the same with or without a mod as long as the zero range you inputted corresponds;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Good to hear Kay 9!..what bullet are you using in your rifle?
    At the moment Foxshooter im runnin 55 grainers in v-max in a .223 but prefer 40 grain v-max myself. But all worked as sweet as the proverbial nut:D Just gotta print off small cards and might even stick it in on the stock or to side of scope for amount of clicks up or down etc. Will work a treat with the rangefinder and also cuts out the bull**** of holdover as I dont have a mildot reticle. All i need now is the reds to stand just a little bit longer:D Most my shootin aint past 250 yds anyway, even during the day on greycrows etc so I don't have to worry too much really. Nice to have for plinking at different ranges though or trying my luck at the odd grey out further.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Really good thread and thanks to all those that contributed.

Fish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Really good thread and thanks to all those that contributed.

Fish

some of ye lads were up all night now that's dedication. fair play .

on the moderator, i have a t8 and my rifle is O'd with it on and its sub 1/2 moa @ 500y as you can see from my first pic. i tried it with the mod off one day and @ 100y it was 6-8" high and left. that would match what the rest of ye are saying, it must have something to do with harmonics

kay 9 wrote: »
    At the moment Foxshooter im runnin 55 grainers in v-max in a .223 but prefer 40 grain v-max myself. But all worked as sweet as the proverbial nut:D Just gotta print off small cards and might even stick it in on the stock or to side of scope for amount of clicks up or down etc. Will work a treat with the rangefinder and also cuts out the bull**** of holdover as I dont have a mildot reticle. All i need now is the reds to stand just a little bit longer:D Most my shootin aint past 250 yds anyway, even during the day on greycrows etc so I don't have to worry too much really. Nice to have for plinking at different ranges though or trying my luck at the odd grey out further.;)

Its now time to get working on some wind charts, then you can buy one of these;
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0031409619839a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Product_liberal&QueryText=anemometers&sort=all&Go.y=11&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&Go.x=21&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

haha, if the old fella sees me with anymore shootin gadgets or bits and bobs, he'll be sayin I'm watchin too much sniper or nickname me Thomas Beckitt lol. But agree, looks like a handy little tool for the longer distances:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tictac3

hi, guys first post , nice shooting paulo , i have a t3 tactical also , so ill be testing out your drops at 300, 400, and 500yds as soon as I get a chance ,mine seems to like the heavy ammo the best results ive had are with hornady 75g bthp :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

tictac3 wrote: »
    hi, guys first post , nice shooting paulo , i have a t3 tactical also , so ill be testing out your drops at 300, 400, and 500yds as soon as I get a chance ,mine seems to like the heavy ammo the best results ive had are with hornady 75g bthp :D

How's it going and welcome to boards
    It's nice to see my old tread brought back to life.
    Anyway. The 75gr BTHP that you have will give you great results. But if you want a good hunting round try the 55 gr hornady v-max. They are excellent in my tikka.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tictac3

thanks paulo ,ive tried the 55g vmax as well there not bad but the 75g seem to be a bit more accurate and consistant , but ive only shot both at 100 and 200 yds getting .5 in groups with the 75g and .75 in with the 55g @ 100yds that s just based on 6 three shot groups of each but the 75g definitly seemed better . any other ammo you know shoots well in them and did you find that the 75g worked better at long distances ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

tictac3 wrote: »
    thanks paulo ,ive tried the 55g vmax as well there not bad but the 75g seem to be a bit more accurate and consistant , but ive only shot both at 100 and 200 yds getting .5 in groups with the 75g and .75 in with the 55g @ 100yds that s just based on 6 three shot groups of each but the 75g definitly seemed better . any other ammo you know shoots well in them and did you find that the 75g worked better at long distances ?

I got a Bungie rabbit last week with 55grain hornady Moly @457yards

However I have a 1 in 12 twist rate so the 75grains will not group in mine.

Anyone who shoots 600+ with a .223 uses 75 grain AFAIK however for field shooting you are best stick with Hornady 55grain vmax, having said that Paulo has got his hands on some 50grain stuff from Norma recently that I am keen to try :)

Advertisement