Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simon Young for Nova 100?

• 08-03-2010 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

It was great to hear Simon back on the airwaves on Hot Country and Christmas FM. Hopefully it won't be long before he gets a fulltime gig... The new Nova 100 maybe?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Valve

Word is, he's the hottest choice to put up against 'the others' for mid morning. To ignore him is not to know what you're talking about if serious about an attraction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Shayman

Jays. that'd be great. Simon is a legend. It's amazin hes not been snapped up sooner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Oh dear!

Simon wasn't considered a particularly great broadcaster back on 2FM by those in the industry then so why now?
    He certainly wasn't up to the original Nova standard, so, if Nova 100 are attempting to replicate the same standard, then why would they want to pick him?

It was great to hear Simon back on the airwaves on Hot Country and Christmas FM. Hopefully it won't be long before he gets a fulltime gig... The new Nova 100 maybe?
    I'm sure you could tell us.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

Of course he was excellent in his 2fm days and having heard him on Christmas FM and Hot Country he's lost none of his talent in spite of his illness. The man's a legend and deserves a slot more than a lot of the so called talent we have to endure these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LaFleur

I know a lot of people like and respect Simon, and with that would like to see him doing well again in a career within the industry - but honestly folks, he's not ready for that. He needs to learn his craft all over again. He needs loads more time and experience to gain what he once had. Jumping into a full time gig on a station under pressure to do well won’t help him, or indeed help the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Shayman

I beg to differ. He's well capable of getting back in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LaFleur

Shayman wrote: »
    I beg to differ. He's well capable of getting back in there.

Not from what I heard of him on Hot Country and Christmas FM he's not.

Just needs to take his time and build up what he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

Used to love him doing his slot with Ian Dempsey on 2fm. What was the name of the Dub character he played?

You don't remember 'Jimmy' and Get Outta That Garden and 'Hey Simon, what time is it'? Folklore stuff! Pretty neat way for a jock to give a time-check methinks. Can't think of anyone who thought that one out! He was gas in Mrs Brownes Boys on stage and in Ballykissangel too!
    Truth is that all Simon needs is a Mic, an open phoneline and a few generations will remember..and have fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

Jimmy jimmy jimmy. Ah yes, how could I forget. He was the one Dub I actually did like!!

Yeah. He used to go on about the carpet shop Lino Richie's and the Bleedin Horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

The last time i heard Simon Young on the radio was the late 80s Great to hear hes coming back great voice for radio

Folks just seem to like Simon! Who is anyone to question? Ian -'Simon put the 'O' in Ian'o' Dempsey' - speaks so highly of the big guy! Also, Pat kenny, Ryan TUB, G. Ryan...and even the switchboard opeators in RTE! Apparently even backroom staff in 2FM want him there! Anyone thinking of the 'Listener' here? Only reason I know he never worked for Nova was because Chris pulled up outside 'Sloopys' looking for the Floor-Filler guy named Simon. SY was too busy filling the Dance Floor! The Great Chris was annoyed. Following that - there was a 'secret' meeting. Chris was 'wanting', but not paying great guys n girls to read things off a wall!!! Simon, allegedly said 'sure most people can read - but what about people who can't?' Broke Garys Gang in Dublin! In his favour, he has always ack Tony D. as a 'We could keep 'em happy with this.;House came to town!! Does anyone here know the real relationship between Simon Cowell and Ian levine?? Further, Louis walsh was Simon's early manager!!
    Just a thought!

Valve wrote: »
    Folks just seem to like Simon! Who is anyone to question? Ian -'Simon put the 'O' in Ian'o' Dempsey' - speaks so highly of the big guy! Also, Pat kenny, Ryan TUB, G. Ryan...and even the switchboard opeators in RTE! Apparently even backroom staff in 2FM want him there! Anyone thinking of the 'Listener' here? Only reason I know he never worked for Nova was because Chris pulled up outside 'Sloopys' looking for the Floor-Filler guy named Simon. SY was too busy filling the Dance Floor! The Great Chris was annoyed. Following that - there was a 'secret' meeting. Chris was 'wanting', but not paying great guys n girls to read things off a wall!!! Simon, allegedly said 'sure most people can read - but what about people who can't?' Broke Garys Gang in Dublin! In his favour, he has always ack Tony D. as a 'We could keep 'em happy with this.;House came to town!! Does anyone here know the real relationship between Simon Cowell and Ian levine?? Further, Louis walsh was Simon's early manager!!
    Just a thought!

.....and suddenly it all becomes clear. :)

Well, fuzzy - maybe you are not so fuzzy now - in a good way! Clams have to 'close down' in order to take the good from the bad. He likes KC. I'm told Ian Dempsey has the best stories...funny and sad.. about Simon and John Clarke too - Chris Carey's num 1 fan - now a desker. John is the num 1 MP and a true Giant of the biz.. Jim Kenny knows his stuff too. As for TodayFM - 'there is the famous story about Willie O' buying Simon a coffee as a new-boy in RTE, but saying that if he wanted a clubmilk, he'd have to pay for that himself! Some things never, er..cigar sir?
    Apparently - he doesen't believe in Hero's! Even now the Pulse guys want him in - just to listen and suggest. Clever that - suggest is better than advice. Oh, no. Now they're all gonna start using that S word! It is fairly common knowledge that Simon made a lot of the 'get 'em talking' calls from his desk in the bold place using different voices into different shows!! He alleg called them Red Bull calls....Good name for a drink that!! hmmm

I might have been a bit hard.
    I wish both him and Nova 100 the best in the future. Ironicly it may be a breath of fresh air to hear some "old style" radio again instead of the trash we get served up daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Would he be up to it health-wise? He was pretty seriously ill for a long time.

Word is that he woke up breathing this morning! ANYONE here remember Simon when he suggested 'never trust a man with a bed in his office' - but went on to say that Christian Bernard did not have to have a heart attack to perform open heart surgery - That was the killer line and original - and the man lived! And to me at least, that showed Simon! First 'Live' TV colour stuff around the globe, that operation!! - his cousin, from Cabra , did the scale models for Titanic. He's on the creds in the movie. Yet, SY simply continues to encourage Mixers to the 'AMEN' beat -1969. Go google -Go Beat! All sub mixes are a dirivative he said once of man ( or woman ) beating their heads off a wall!
    'Boy George' -quoted Simon on that one!! Official! GMTV.
    Allegedly, when he met Diana Ross, she said 'I hear you're my man in Ireland.'. Poor chap passed out! True from RTE witness accounts.
    Welcome back Bigman - U know things!! JESUS, Dublins like ya, why not speak up???

Just had a call from a lady who will swear on oath that when Simon became the first res DJ in Anabelles, in Dublin, Elton John -who was in the club left a 'tip' at the desk for him for not mentioning he was there and to thank the jock for Tons of Philly Soul and for knowing music!! Wow. that's a story. Alleg he re-mixed I Love Music -O'Jays at the tender age of 17. Then, my lady friend suggested I mention Kylie Min thanking SY for her warm up and the prayer they shared, pre-gig, as she does, alleg, before the Gig! He knows who had to suffer in order for Simon Cowell to achieve! And so do we!!

There is a shot of him on chan 9/7 I hear in Oz with Kyles!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

ok. ok. ok.

ok.

I'm going to break a rule I wrote myself here, and ask : Are you Simon Young by any chance??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Just had a call from a lady

Wow, she must be Simon's biggest fan if she rang you at 3am to share this story ;)

Most nightclubs close around that time! Simon I know, does not go clubbing now! I hope he does not mind me saying that. I work in an office tbh!
    He is a Brian Dobson fan! Alleg, actually tbh - great name, tbh - who are you? Tbh! Jeeez, when RTE stopped showing Dallas and Simon said on air that they kept Sue Ellens shoulder pads for one of their Newsreaders (not Ann doyle ) alleg the Newsroom creased. Brian got them!! Hehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

my god I'm enjoying your posts :)

He may not be Simon but he's spent some time in Montrose by the sound of it!

TBH - I think you now might understand what tbh really means! ALL barristors are advised early in their days, never to say TBH. Mercy, mercy me - I am now speaking to Gerry R? I will defend the great GR to the end U. Cant do it yourself. GR only worked in a legal office - never took the legal oath!! But, what a guy - that IS pressure! Oh, dong goes my phone! Darn, Ok Louie - I wont tell - I know Simon Cowells dentist. Only man that can keep him quiet!! Hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

*subscribing to thread*
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Valve has become a boards.ie legend in under 8 posts - amazing! :-D

He's not Simon but with such inventive writing, it can only be...........G.... M.......

• Advertisement

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    He's not Simon but with such inventive writing, it can only be...........G.... M.......

Go on! tell us who is G.... M.......

Ah I meant M... M......

Is revealing identities allowed here?

Look for similar style posts on another board.

Well Fuzzy, you have not revealed your identity? Maybe take a soil test yourself?:-). Then you will know who YOU are;-)). I am NOT Simon. I could be ..er, A fan? The big man does not use that word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Ah I meant M... M......

Is revealing identities allowed here?

Look for similar style posts on another board.

I agree Fuzzy...Tis very like the ponderings of M M.

I heard today Simon's doing some work for Pulse... Maybe his way back into 2fm??

Anyone here been in the Edges swimming pool in Monkstown in the basement? Now, lets talk! Be brave all. Fair play to the EDGE - it can only be acessed by...Safety! Zip! this is not Dave Fanning! Respect! Nova 100 will never replicate if they have any cop. And they have we hear. They are innovators for Gods sake!
    What is M M ? Dont mean a thing if it aint got that fling!

• Advertisement

You know M M? I just had a call from saying DT100 is a giveaway promotional attempt!

Well Fuzzy, you have not revealed your identity? Maybe take a soil test yourself?:-). Then you will know who YOU are;-)). I am NOT Simon. I could be ..er, A fan? The big man does not use that word.
    I know who I am...I'm invincible....or I'm a man without a pony according to the guys at iRadio LOL. Have you had a trip in the hearse?

Ha - invince - not on our comps and phs. Remember the guy who kept looking at himself in the water or mirror, that one day, he thought he was it and fell in. iPhones, old stuff now! Be kind.lol indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Ha - invince - not on our comps and phs. Remember the guy who kept looking at himself in the water or mirror, that one day, he thought he was it and fell in. iPhones, old stuff now! Be kind.lol indeed.

He fell into the mirror...jaysus I know him..the man in the mirror.....He was the same man that filled the hot water bottles for the troops, before the battle of Clongorey.but Ithink the hot water bottle leaked...something to do with a leaky valve..sure there's more grass in tarmac!!!!

Advertisement