Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Station St Balbriggan

Options
  • 08-03-2010 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Noticed to day that someone has put up a replica of the old walkway that usedto go across the road between the two buldings (now troy hosre and trax). seen it bein put up this afternoon and then tonight they have UV lights shining on it showin the windows that would have been on it.

anyone know who put this up and why??? i think its pretty cool having it there. cant remember when exactly the original walkway was taken down but i do vaguely remember it....

the original walkway....
    smycowalkway.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

from the Irish Times magazine

Have you got your Balbriggans on?

GEMMA TIPTON

Did you know that Balbriggan was once a byword for stockings – just like biro is for ballpoint pens? Queen Victoria wore them, as did the Czarina of Russia – and Balbriggan was so world famous for the quality of the undergarments produced there that John Wayne can be heard, in some of his westerns, to “put his balbriggans on”.
    The Smyth Co factory building (above), where hosiery, from embroidered silk stockings to hardy men’s combinations, were made for nearly 200 years, finally closed its doors in the 1980s. The building now houses restaurants, shops and workshops, and is being celebrated in an art project by Martina Coyle, commissioned by Fingal County Council. Coyle has recreated, in silk, a bridge that once connected two factory buildings. She spent the winter months painstakingly hand stitching a beaded design on to the fabric, and the seams of the bridge will glow under UV light in the dark. A ghostly reminder of former glories.
    Efflorescence, by Martina Coyle, will be on view from March 7th-11th at Railway Street, Balbriggan, weather permitting. For further information, see fingalarts.ie

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/magazine/2010/0227/1224265080397.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Of course the street is called Railway Street, there's no Station Street in Balbriggan :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Everyone I know calls it station street!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

What if we call it Railway Station street so everyone is happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FingalForever

Its been called Station Street as long as I've lived (48 yrs) ;-) -- was wondering the same thing myself, thought at first they were rebuilding the old walkway till I saw it closer lol - do like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Out of interest when did they knock the old walkway? Did it know when the mill closed?

Advertisement