Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband help

• 08-03-2010 2:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

hi folks, need some advice, there a 3 laptops in my house all using seperate vodafone mobile broadband, the contracts are up next month, just wondering can i get broadband that will cover all these laptops, throughout the house keeping it mobile, i obviously know nothing about broadband. there is also know landline in the house if that makes a difference.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,281 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If you can get fixed line broadband do it'll work out cheaper and faster than having 3 mobile bb's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

do you need a phone line for that, who is a good provider. forgive my stupidity but what way does the laptop connect to fixed line broadband, does it need a yoke plugged into laptop same as the voda mobile :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,281 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

no most broadband providers give you a free wireless router when you sign up so you can all use the laptops anywhere in the house without having anything plugged in.
    I've eircom for business and vodafone for home, I find vodafone fixed line utterly useless and would advise to avoid at all costs, there's a few threads here about it, i'll be changing back to eircom at home once I get the finger out. Eircom is probably the best bet, there also doing a deal at the moment where there giving free line rental for 10mts, it might be worth checking out.
    There's no comparison between fixed line and mobile broadband, it might cost the same or a little extra if you want a very quick connection but it's well worth it.

back again, had a look at eircom broadband, was looking at the up to 7mb one, would this suit 3 laptops or would it be slow

anyone offer advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

7 MB should be fine for "normal" use, obviously the 3 machines would be sharing the 7MB.

If UPC/ NTL are available in your area you could look at them too. The big plus with them is you don't need a phone line so save on the line rental.

hth
    gR

i thought a phone line wasnt needed with eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

A phone line IS needed with Eircom and all ADSL providers. UPC provide cable broadband so doesn't use the phone line, they've limited coverage though.

Digiweb's metro broadband is another possibility if you want to avoid line rental, they put a small antenna on your roof. Again limited coverage so you'll need to check if they're in your area.

Rgds
    gR

Advertisement