Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming tax back when emigrating?

Options
  • 08-03-2010 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Is it possible to claim tax back when emigrating to Australia? I'll be leaving mid-April so won't come close to my tax-free allowance. Do I have to wait til end of year or can I get it before I leave/on departure?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

shanofin wrote: »
    Is it possible to claim tax back when emigrating to Australia? I'll be leaving mid-April so won't come close to my tax-free allowance. Do I have to wait til end of year or can I get it before I leave/on departure?!

Are you for real?

Last week you were talking about getting a loan so you would meet the minimum monetary requirements to get into Australia on a WHV and now your talking about emigrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/forms/p50.pdf

Make sure you declare you will not be working in Oz

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shanofin

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Are you for real?

Last week you were talking about getting a loan so you would meet the minimum monetary requirements to get into Australia on a WHV and now your talking about emigrating.

Emigrating/leaving the country for a year whatever....

Why should I not declare I intend to work in Oz? Surely the fact I won't be living/working in Ireland for the rest of the year means I should get my tax allowances back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Emigrating/leaving the country for a year whatever....

Its called going on a Holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Why should I not declare I intend to work in Oz? Surely the fact I won't be living/working in Ireland for the rest of the year means I should get my tax allowances back?
    I would have thought so too. I don't see the point of declaring you won't be working overseas. It makes no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

No, it doesnt necessarily.

You need to read this:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/res1.pdf

If you dont delcare you are going to australia on a holiday (thats what a WHV visa is for btw), then you wont be able to claim at least until the tax year is over, and then you will need to make a declaration that you didnt work, and may be asked to prove it.

If youve been resident in ireland for 280 days of any two years, you are liable for tax on all income, irish and foreign, for the second year.

Advertisement