Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else think Metallica have gone crap?

Options
  • 08-03-2010 2:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭

They used to be excellent. The old albums were class. Now they're muck (Death Magnetic was great).

Just watching a live show from a couple years ago on MTV. Oh god the sound is awful. The live shows were spectacular, now they sound shyte! The guitars and drums don't sound nearly as cool as they used to. Different effects or settings on both guitars that sound awful.

Kirk's gotten crap at guitar (Although compared to the likes of Dimebag, Yngwie and Satriani, he was alway poo), James' voice ain't as rough and gravelley as it was, Lars'eses drumming has worsened...

Anyone else feel the same?

No? Just me? Awe. :(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's a shame they haven't maintained the level of quality and talent insane clown posse are renowned for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

wow.

In other new news shocker, the wheel is invented

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Thread of the year award , and it's only March.

Apart from you being a WUM I have to agree.

They have become a parody of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Fago! wrote: »
    They used to be excellent. The old albums were class. Now they're muck (Death Magnetic was great).

Just watching a live show from a couple years ago on MTV. Oh god the sound is awful. The live shows were spectacular, now they sound shyte! The guitars and drums don't sound nearly as cool as they used to. Different effects or settings on both guitars that sound awful.

Kirk's gotten crap at guitar (Although compared to the likes of Dimebag, Yngwie and Satriani, he was alway poo), James' voice ain't as rough and gravelley as it was, Lars'eses drumming has worsened...

Anyone else feel the same?

No? Just me? Awe. :(

okay how are they muck now if you state death magnetic was great(with that being their last album)?

And they were crap a few years ago but have bucked up their act significantly?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Oh look, another Metallica thread. Maybe I really will have to create a Metallica superthread after all :p.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

it's a shame they haven't maintained the level of quality and talent insane clown posse are renowned for

Ha ha ha,awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Malice_ wrote: »
    Oh look, another Metallica thread. Maybe I really will have to create a Metallica superthread after all :p.

Or create a script deleting any new threads with *metallica* in them?

Yeah old Metallica = Good.
    New Metallica = Crap.

Thought they weren't great at the last gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

This thread is bound to go well.

But either way, here's my opinion. I loved Metallica. Loved them. So much so that it brings a burst of blood to my cheeks to admit it nowadays. Then napster happened, and in a blind rage at the sheer pompous ignorance of the band, I stopped caring. I ignored them, got rid of my CDs and moved on. In the last few years I've been paying more attention to them, but with some amount of contempt.

No, they're not as good as they were. Neither are Led Zeppelin. The Beatles would even be crap now. Why? Because, contrary to popular belief, they are old men. They're not young, energetic booze hounds anymore. They're old men, fathers of kids and their bones can't really keep up with the music they used to make. Their tastes have changed. I'm sure even Lars has managed to introduce types of music that aren't from scandanavia to his collection.

Fans need to build a bridge and get real here. Sure, they make less-then-brilliant music, and their live shows aren't as good as they used to be - but that's what happens. I'm not sure why Metallica are held up to this odd mantle that they absolutely MUST live up to. "Anything else is just muck". Maybe lasting this long is a bad thing for a band... as the fans will only recall the "good old days". Perhaps a lot of fans want to re-live their youths through the band they love instead of growing up.

It's the same argument used when Nine Inch Nails released two albums that were devoid of epic depression and drug references. It's because he wasn't on drugs, and was rich. He grew up and changed his style, listened to music other then Skinny Puppy and produced pieces that meant more to him at that point in his life.

As much as I want to be non-chelant about Metallica, I have to say they're in a no-win scenario. Death Magnetic was a fairly "meh" album for me, but it was as close to "old school" as they're going to get. Yet fans were as divided as ever. Sadly, threads like this will always show up... and always cause stupid trollish debates. Ultimately, these debates are pointless because the band are sitting in pools, surrounded by supermodels and not really caring about you while you think they care and wish they would pour as much time and love into music as they used to. Instead, they're taking private jets to take the kids to school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Malice_ wrote: »

I think you're right. No really do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I thought the last album wasn't all that great with only a couple of standouts, and it was also definitely not a highlight for me in 2008.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

I think Load is better than justice, honest to god. Tis okay to not follow the bandwagon lads, dont worry

Gerard.C wrote: »
    I think Load is better than justice, honest to god. Tis okay to not follow the bandwagon lads, dont worry
    Ive been listening to St Anger a lot recently and I think its better than Puppets!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

chin_grin wrote: »

Yeah old Metallica = Good.
    New Metallica = Crap.

Thought they weren't great at the last gig.

Have boards mods got the ability to put 'metallica' into those substitute words filters that stops bad language. For example when 'metallica' is typed, replace it with 'Pink Bunnies' or 'Westlife'.

and to stay on thread:

Yeah
    Old Metallica = Good.
    New Metallica = Crap.

Have boards mods got the ability to put 'metallica' into those substitute words filters that stops bad language. For example when 'metallica' is typed, replace it with 'Pink Bunnies' or 'Westlife'.

and to stay on thread:

Yeah
    Old Metallica = Good.
    New Metallica = Crap

"baaaaaa" goes the sheep

"baaaaaa" goes the sheep

Good man yourself, now, do you know what the cow goes?

There's a goldstar for you if you do!!

To create a summary of the thread:

Old metallica = Bad
    New Metallica = Good
    My Chemical Romance= Gods of METAL

:P

Good man yourself, now, do you know what the cow goes?

There's a goldstar for you if you do!!

Yeah god forgive me for having my own opinion on it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Ive been listening to St Anger a lot recently and I think its better than Puppets!

Think you need your head examined!?

Yeah god forgive me for having my own opinion on it

Not sure which part of my first post you are struggling with?

The fact that my opinion differs from yours maybe?

Remember, it is my opinion like you said.

Think you need your head examined!?
    NO, I meant that remark in all seriousness and context

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

NO, I meant that remark in all seriousness and context

Oh come on......St Anger is a steaming pile of dog doo.

careful Mickey, that's an opinion, we don't want them here.

Can't believe I am debating Metallica. Jesus.*

*Don't go into Metallica threads. Don't go into Metallica threads.Don't go into Metallica threads.Don't go into Metallica threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Yeah I noticed about 15 years ago.

So my opinion (falsified and sarcastic though it may be) is automatcially wrong because its not whats "cool" to think?

To create a summary of the thread:

Old metallica = Bad
    New Metallica = Good
    My Chemical Romance= Gods of METAL

:P

UPDATE ON SUMMARY:

You can't have an opinion.

Please Carry On.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Black was their last great album.I liked Load and Reload.
    St.Anger was only alright and the songs were too long for being individually repetitive.
    Death Magnetic was poor,a feeble attempt to be metal again.To me it came across as a cynical exercise.
    The first five albums though are excellent and are what many metal albums released since are compared to.
    Just my opinion :)

Don't go into Metallica threads. Don't go into Metallica threads.Don't go into Metallica threads.Don't go into Metallica threads.

Fail

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

chin_grin wrote: »
    Have boards mods got the ability to put 'metallica' into those substitute words filters that stops bad language.
    Stuff like the above would have to be done by the Boards developers. Us mods don't have that kind of power.

UPDATE ON SUMMARY:

You can't have an opinion.

Please Carry On.
    Incidentally I was being sarcastic

/duh :o

• Advertisement

I think Metallica needed Cliff Burton to write music that was really melodic. Don't get me wrong - I do like their stuff since MP, but I just find it lacking in comparison to those first albums.
    Having said that, Death Magnetic was a huge improvement over the Newsted era, IMO. Despite the fact that I don't like the way Hetfield's voice has gone either.
    Ultimately, though, Metallica are one of the biggest names in metal for a reason and even though my tastes have brought me elsewhere over the years I still have a great deal of respect for them both as musicians and as people.

Advertisement