Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else think Metallica have gone crap?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I think Metallica needed Cliff Burton to write music that was really melodic. Don't get me wrong - I do like their stuff since MP, but I just find it lacking in comparison to those first albums.
    Having said that, Death Magnetic was a huge improvement over the Newsted era, IMO. Despite the fact that I don't like the way Hetfield's voice has gone either.
    Ultimately, though, Metallica are one of the biggest names in metal for a reason and even though my tastes have brought me elsewhere over the years I still have a great deal of respect for them both as musicians and as people.
    +1
    It is like two different bands pre and post cliff.. while I liked most of the 90s stuff it was more rock than metal.. they never really matched the thrashy heaviness of Puppets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Not sure which part of my first post you are struggling with?

The fact that my opinion differs from yours maybe?

Remember, it is my opinion like you said.

Nope, the fact that you, and many many others, have all jumped on the "oh metallica have been **** for years" bandwagon. it's pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Malice_ wrote: »
    Stuff like the above would have to be done by the Boards developers. Us mods don't have that kind of power.

Ah don't worry Max. I gathered that ;-)

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Nope, the fact that you, and many many others, have all jumped on the "oh metallica have been **** for years" bandwagon. it's pathetic.
    Gerard. Mine and other peoples opinion on this matter are based on listening to old and new. We didn't just say it because there was a bandwagon passing by. On my listening to old and new Metallica i think old Metallica are far superior. Simple as that and i have all the albums to base this opinion on. Now please stop saying people's opinions are pathetic because they are different to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Incidentally I was being sarcastic
    Aww, now I don't know what to think!
    Ah don't worry Max. I gathered that ;-)
    My name's not Max. At least, I don't think it is...

• Advertisement

Gerard. Mine and other peoples opinion on this matter are based on listening to old and new. We didn't just say it because there was a bandwagon passing by. On my listening to old and new Metallica i think old Metallica are far superior. Simple as that and i have all the albums to base this opinion on. Now please stop saying people's opinions are pathetic because they are different to yours.

I don't care if their different to mine, if everyone had the same opinion as mine the world would be a very boring place. You have to admit, there are a lot of people who claim to be huge metallica fans, but actually dont like anything they've done in 20 years. When they did the St. Anger tour a few years ago, people actually turned their backs when they played songs from the album. What kind of "fans" are they? I'd love to see the response a song from St. Anger would get at a concert full of die hard Metallica fans. I'd love them to play it anyway. The evolution of Metallica is fascinating, some people are just too stubborn to realise this and enjoy the music.

Whatever about St. Anger, how can people dismiss Load and Reload as being rubbish? Reload doesnt have the same level of quality of songs as Load does, but it is still a very good album none the less. Though in fairness, these are the same people who will gladly shout out "but the memory remains" when James motions them to...

Aww, now I don't know what to think!

My name's not Max. At least, I don't think it is...

Ha sorry Malice. That was meant for Max on the sarcasm one. Quoting and the like gets messy on mobiles!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Oh look, another Metallica thread. Maybe I really will have to create a Metallica superthread after all :p.

Malice - I wasn't gonna bother putting anything into this thread, but seeing as I replied on the Poll for the superthread, I might aswell......

I think that this particular thread was started very very badly, the OP has a contradiction in the first line and in reality (correct me if I'm wrong here OP) the point here was that Metallica are no longer cutting it live - if there was a different point then you've not put it across very well.

From my point of view, Metallica are a band that have been going for more than 25 years, as Mayhem mentioned they are not young men anymore and really it's not right to compare their live show now to when they were in their heyday - but they are always measured against the past, never against other bands of the current age, and fine if people didn't like Death Magnetic (personally I really like the album) but it's a decent slab of metal in my opinion.
    Can anyone tell me a Thrash Metal vocalist who's voice is as good as it was 20-25 years ago ? seriously, and live I have never thought of him as a top vocalist, I've still enjoyed the shows, but musicans change over the years, it's just life, people just seem to have totally unrealistic expectations for bands these days....another thing that I think works against them in Ireland is that they keep coming over here pretty much every year and doing the poxy big outdoor show, I'll be in Belfast in May to see them indoors for the first time on this Island for 11 years - that's a long time to be playing venues which generally haven't lent themselves to good sound (depending on the wind :-) ...)
    but I have seen them indoors in the UK a few times in recent years and thought it was a different band playing, so much more enjoyable.

would like to hear from the guys that think they've gone to crap over the years what active bands of their era do they still like or still think cut it live ??? I think that would be a more interesting thread ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

*sees Metallica thread*

*beats head off table repeatedly*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

when did they go good? if you make the top 10 richlist year in/out there must be a wide range of knobs buying and you must have zero street cred. the name, the logo it makes me cringe - the epitome of naff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

I don't care if their different to mine, if everyone had the same opinion as mine the world would be a very boring place. You have to admit, there are a lot of people who claim to be huge metallica fans, but actually dont like anything they've done in 20 years. When they did the St. Anger tour a few years ago, people actually turned their backs when they played songs from the album. What kind of "fans" are they? I'd love to see the response a song from St. Anger would get at a concert full of die hard Metallica fans. I'd love them to play it anyway. The evolution of Metallica is fascinating, some people are just too stubborn to realise this and enjoy the music.

Whatever about St. Anger, how can people dismiss Load and Reload as being rubbish? Reload doesnt have the same level of quality of songs as Load does, but it is still a very good album none the less. Though in fairness, these are the same people who will gladly shout out "but the memory remains" when James motions them to...

completely agree. This is the post I have never been bothered to write in a Metallica debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Star Bingo wrote: »
    when did they go good? if you make the top 10 richlist year in/out there must be a wide range of knobs buying and you must have zero street cred. the name, the logo it makes me cringe - the epitome of naff.

I tried to understand this post, but failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

Metallica's problem is that they have run out of steam. There are older and better bands out there, who still have magic in their live performances. Death Magnetic was one last angry shout to say, "Ok is THIS what you want then?"

The thing that always struck me about Lars and James is that they are career musicians at their core. Sure, they have talent, but they always cared more about playing music for a living than the music itself. We saw what happened in the 90's when they felt the winds blowing.

Sure, they have lots of money now, but what would anyone do in their shoes? Retire and become depressed? Appear on talk shows...judge 'talent' contests?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Vomit wrote: »
    Metallica's problem is that they have run out of steam. There are older and better bands out there, who still have magic in their live performances. Death Magnetic was one last angry shout to say, "Ok is THIS what you want then?"

The thing that always struck me about Lars and James is that they are career musicians at their core. Sure, they have talent, but they always cared more about playing music for a living than the music itself. We saw what happened in the 90's when they felt the winds blowing.

Sure, they have lots of money now, but what would anyone do in their shoes? Retire and become depressed? Appear on talk shows...judge 'talent' contests?

*cough* Jason Newsted *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

"baaaaaa" goes the sheep

I thought that was just Hetfield's vocals :D

Nah, I'm joshing Metallica <3

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Star Bingo wrote: »

I'm a knob and have no street cred!!

*****Cries******:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Black was their last great album.
    Death Magnetic was poor,a feeble attempt to be metal again.To me it came across as a cynical exercise.
    The first five albums though are excellent and are what many metal albums released since are compared to.
    Just my opinion :)

I agree that the 'Black Album' was the last great album they did, even if it was more commercial than the previous albums. The albums before the Black album where also excellent especially 'Ride The Lightening'.

This Metallica "discussion" keeps going round in circles!!! We all(most of us)agree that St W****r was a load of crap, and that they almost returned to form on Death Magnetic. We also(most of us) agree that they lost their way after the Black Album - personally, I think their last good album was Load.

Most of us agree that their first 5 albums are practically untouchable, and that they will never reach those heights again.

In short, Metallica are past their peak, long ago.

/thread.

This Metallica "discussion" keeps going round in circles!!! We all(most of us)agree that St W****r was a load of crap, and that they almost returned to form on Death Magnetic. We also(most of us) agree that they lost their way after the Black Album - personally, I think their last good album was Load.

Most of us agree that their first 5 albums are practically untouchable, and that they will never reach those heights again.

In short, Metallica are past their peak, long ago.

/thread.

Opinion, not fact. Get over yourself.

Never said it was "fact".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

In reply to OP.

Yes.

Never said it was "fact".

Well, was it a fictional statement or what? To make that statement at all is ridiculously snobby

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Would you agree that they are not making the same type of music which made them famous?

Well, was it a fictional statement or what? To make that statement at all is ridiculously snobby

Snobby? How?

Vegeta wrote: »
    Would you agree that they are not making the same type of music which made them famous?

To an extent. But in fairness to them, they could very well have become stale if they continued making the same type of music. You have to look at things like this from a bands perpective. I'm sure they wanted to be creative, and not stay making the same style of music for the last 20 years. They took a risk when they changed it up. Some fans embraced the change, and some want nothing to do with newer music. I for one enjoyed the change. You can't expect them to bring out Master of Puppets every time they release an album. Shur RTL is different from Kill em All when you think about it. They have evolved as a group and so has their music

Snobby? How?

By saying metallica are "past their peak". To you, maybe they are. But theres plent of fans that still really like the music they're bringing out. Who are you to say they're past their peak? I'm sure DM's album sales and the attendences at their last few tours will beg to differ with you

By saying metallica are "past their peak". To you, maybe they are. But theres plent of fans that still really like the music they're bringing out. Who are you to say they're past their peak? I'm sure DM's album sales and the attendences at their last few tours will beg to differ with you

So I'm snobby for having the personal opinion that they are past their peak!?

Some Metallica fans are sooo bloody touchy. :rolleyes:

So I'm snobby for having the personal opinion that they are past their peak!?

Some Metallica fans are sooo bloody touchy. :rolleyes:

"In short, Metallica are past their peak, long ago.

/thread."

Doesn't seem like an opinion to me. More of a statement. And lord knows you're not the only one who feels that way, I'm not picking on ya like :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

AND JUSTICE FOR ALL... THE GREATEST METAL ALBUM EVER IMHO

Most Metallica fans would opt for MOP and it is great but having been a Metallica fan from day one my personal favorite is ANJV.

as for Metallica these days, well, their era has come and gone, but they still are a major live show force, saw them the last two times in Marley park and they fookin blew me away!! Death magnetic is good but they would need to produce another album thats betters that to make up for years of neglect. All is all, no other metal band has produced and done more for metal than Metallica did during the KEA/RTL/MOP/ANJV years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I love Metallica no matter what direction they take. I love them so much that I have 2 metallica tattoos :D

Although, as a friend of mine said....for Metallica to be excellent again, James needs to hit the booze hard, be depressed and forget about his family. That way we'd have more Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets in our lives!!

Advertisement