Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else think Metallica have gone crap?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

fartmaster wrote: »
    as for Metallica these days, well, their era has come and gone, but they still are a major live show force, saw them the last two times in Marley park and they fookin blew me away!! Death magnetic is good but they would need to produce another album thats betters that to make up for years of neglect. All is all, no other metal band has produced and done more for metal than Metallica did during the KEA/RTL/MOP/ANJV years.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This thread is bound to go well.

But either way, here's my opinion. I loved Metallica. Loved them. So much so that it brings a burst of blood to my cheeks to admit it nowadays. Then napster happened, and in a blind rage at the sheer pompous ignorance of the band, I stopped caring. I ignored them, got rid of my CDs and moved on. In the last few years I've been paying more attention to them, but with some amount of contempt.

No, they're not as good as they were. Neither are Led Zeppelin. The Beatles would even be crap now. Why? Because, contrary to popular belief, they are old men. They're not young, energetic booze hounds anymore. They're old men, fathers of kids and their bones can't really keep up with the music they used to make. Their tastes have changed. I'm sure even Lars has managed to introduce types of music that aren't from scandanavia to his collection.

Fans need to build a bridge and get real here. Sure, they make less-then-brilliant music, and their live shows aren't as good as they used to be - but that's what happens. I'm not sure why Metallica are held up to this odd mantle that they absolutely MUST live up to. "Anything else is just muck". Maybe lasting this long is a bad thing for a band... as the fans will only recall the "good old days". Perhaps a lot of fans want to re-live their youths through the band they love instead of growing up.

It's the same argument used when Nine Inch Nails released two albums that were devoid of epic depression and drug references. It's because he wasn't on drugs, and was rich. He grew up and changed his style, listened to music other then Skinny Puppy and produced pieces that meant more to him at that point in his life.

As much as I want to be non-chelant about Metallica, I have to say they're in a no-win scenario. Death Magnetic was a fairly "meh" album for me, but it was as close to "old school" as they're going to get. Yet fans were as divided as ever. Sadly, threads like this will always show up... and always cause stupid trollish debates. Ultimately, these debates are pointless because the band are sitting in pools, surrounded by supermodels and not really caring about you while you think they care and wish they would pour as much time and love into music as they used to. Instead, they're taking private jets to take the kids to school.

+1 to this. Very well summed up. :)

Expecting bands to churn out the same quality and same type of music over a 28 year period is narrow minded and retarded. Do you as a music appreciator expect to listen to the same type of music and same bands over the same period? I expect not. I know my tastes have expanded and changed over a period of 15 years. I still listen to metal but ive lost interest in death metal and all the new age metal/nu metal i find boring and unimpressive.

I still love metallica, but i dont like load or reload. But thats ok. Its for bands to bring out not so hot albums. Metallica still put on a great live show and put alot of effort into the relationship with their fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

faceman wrote: »
    +1 to this. Very well summed up. :)

Expecting bands to churn out the same quality and same type of music over a 28 year period is narrow minded and retarded. Do you as a music appreciator expect to listen to the same type of music and same bands over the same period? I expect not. I know my tastes have expanded and changed over a period of 15 years. I still listen to metal but ive lost interest in death metal and all the new age metal/nu metal i find boring and unimpressive.

Ive actually gotton back into the old original death metal again, cant stand the new genre bands though they really do nothing for me or the music itself. I do love Metallica but the way they went after the black album is unforgivable, the likes of Slayer and Iron Maiden (although im not a major fan of either) seem to have kept to their origins all through their career, I really do think Metallica would have produced better albums and improved on the likes of MOP/ANJV had they kept tho their origins, hopefully we will get one more album before the hang up their boots that just screams METALLICA :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

/ANJV

What's this? Don't you mean AJFA????

What's this? Don't you mean AJFA????

woops my bad I really should stop abbreviating everything I never get it right........
    AND JUSTICE FOR ALL

FOOKIN LOVE THAT ALBUM :D

• Advertisement

It really is a classic! I don't care what people say about the "lack of low end bass", it's fooken savage the whole way through!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ive actually gotton back into the old original death metal again, cant stand the new genre bands though they really do nothing for me or the music itself. I do love Metallica but the way they went after the black album is unforgivable, the likes of Slayer and Iron Maiden (although im not a major fan of either) seem to have kept to their origins all through their career, I really do think Metallica would have produced better albums and improved on the likes of MOP/ANJV had they kept tho their origins, hopefully we will get one more album before the hang up their boots that just screams METALLICA :)

Im not sure why you would feel something is "unforgivable" but each to their own I guess.

Slayer and Maiden have stuck to the roots (as has Megadeth for the most part) but alot of it sucks and gets boring to us older fans. It becomes same all same all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Perhaps a lot of fans want to re-live their youths through the band they love instead of growing up.

Metallica.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Gerard.C wrote: »
    I think Load is better than justice, honest to god. Tis okay to not follow the bandwagon lads, dont worry
    I cannot agree only because Justice is my personal favourite, but the loads berween the two, have material for ONE great Metallica album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

Used to love MetallicA next to Megadeth. They are just gay now.

• Advertisement

I cannot agree only because Justice is my personal favourite, but the loads berween the two, have material for ONE great Metallica album.

Ha, I've always said that kinda. One load album would have been incredible. I think the two are very good individually though, load in particular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Ha, I've always said that kinda. One load album would have been incredible. I think the two are very good individually though, load in particular

The first four tracks on ReLoad are class, but the rest of the album is extremely forgettable. I agree with you about having one "Load" album. The majority of the songs would come from "Load", imo.

One Load album:

1. Fuel
    2. The Memory Remains
    3. Outlaw Torn
    4. Ain't My Bitch
    5. Until it Sleeps
    6. Better Than You
    7. 2 x 4
    8. King Nothing
    9. Wasting My Hate
    10. The House Jack Built
    11. Devil's Dance
    12. Where the Wild Things Are
    13. The Unforgiven II
    14. Fixxxer

One Load album:

1. Fuel
    2. The Memory Remains
    3. Outlaw Torn
    4. Ain't My Bitch
    5. Until it Sleeps
    6. Better Than You
    7. 2 x 4
    8. King Nothing
    9. Wasting My Hate
    10. The House Jack Built
    11. Devil's Dance
    13. The Unforgiven II
    14. Fixxxer

Mama Said???

Mama Said???

With all the other albums prior to Load, any "filler" was up to the listener to decide, ie some people would regard "escape" as filler and others may think its a fan favourite, but for me the load albums was the first time there was definite filler songs, and that saddened me a bit, but really in my opinion no filler tracks from 1983 to 1996 is outstanding!! Up as far as load i would go crazy if i heard ANY metallica song (crazy as in over enthusiasm). Then again you can't blame them. The black album tour killed the band entirely and they never recovered until after st anger. That was one hell of a killer tour for any band. Well over 300 shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Mama Said???

+1 I would take out Better Than You(godawful song), and replace it with Mama Said.

With all the other albums prior to Load, any "filler" was up to the listener to decide, ie some people would regard "escape" as filler and others may think its a fan favourite, but for me the load albums was the first time there was definite filler songs, and that saddened me a bit, but really in my opinion no filler tracks from 1983 to 1996 is outstanding!! Up as far as load i would go crazy if i heard ANY metallica song (crazy as in over enthusiasm). Then again you can't blame them. The black album tour killed the band entirely and they never recovered until after st anger. That was one hell of a killer tour for any band. Well over 300 shows.

I would argue that alcoholism and relationships within the band were the issue.

faceman wrote: »
    I would argue that alcoholism and relationships within the band were the issue.
    No need to argue!! Alcoholism and bad relationships within the band were brought to their ultimate levels during that tour.

No need to argue!! Alcoholism and bad relationships within the band were brought to their ultimate levels during that tour.

But in fairness it was a 2 and a half year tour. That would drive anyone to murder their bandmates! It took them to Death Magnetic to recover! Rather them than me! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

One Load album:

1. Fuel
    2. The Memory Remains
    3. Outlaw Torn
    4. Ain't My Bitch
    5. Until it Sleeps
    6. Better Than You
    7. 2 x 4
    8. King Nothing
    9. Wasting My Hate
    10. The House Jack Built
    11. Devil's Dance
    13. The Unforgiven II
    14. Fixxxer

Dude 'Hero of the Day' one of the coolest outros ever.

Dude 'Hero of the Day' one of the coolest outros ever.
    yes hero is a must.

Bleeding Me is also savage

Bleeding Me is also savage
    absolute epic....especially from hetfield

edit:
    this load talk is going way to well.....we're due a "metallica died when cliff died" at any moment now!!

I physically hate the Load albums, Until it sleeps would be about the best song but OMG ther are ****e , if a new band came out with them no one would have ever have heard of them albums cus they stink

I physically hate the Load albums, Until it sleeps would be about the best song but OMG ther are ****e , if a new band came out with them no one would have ever have heard of them albums cus they stink
    ah i reckon bleeding me and outlaw torn would walk onto any metallica album bar stanger of course....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

lord lucan wrote: »
    What do you mean they're gone crap? There was riots in Colombia before their gig yesterday,just like the good old days!:p:p

they riot at ballet in Columbia. i read there was stampedes at an MJ show and shootings when Britney rocked Bogota

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

just thought i'd add....i'm listening to St. Anger at the moment:o:D

Advertisement