Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS Dual-boot machine

Options
  • 08-03-2010 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

Hi, im hoping to build a new computer in the coming weeks and plan to build one thats capable of running OSX as i prefer to work on that platform. I do however love to game, and plan to have a separate HD for windows 7. Im aware that certain parts aren't compatible for the mac part and so will be limited in what i can choose. I was hoping to follow a guide like this
    Im not used to building Pc's so am unfamiliar on determining suitable parts and was hoping you could help. I would hope to achieve this for around 1000e. Hope you can help me :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Fixed the title - wouldn't want to give anyone the wrong idea! ;) And of course Boards.ie does not condone or endorse anyone trying to contravene the terms of a EULA etc. :rolleyes:

What kind of work do you need to do with the OSX partition?

And what kind of games do you want to play and on what resolution screen? Do you need screen/software/peripherals included in your given budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Sorry i completely forgot about apples EULA. For work i mainly mean to write reports prepare presentations and study of it so nothing too straining. Im interested in playing FPS games mainly, MW2 and Fallout etc. I have the software covered. I dont have a screen but didnt intend on including it in the price but if i could that would be great. I would imagine i would like to use a 20-22" screen. Thanks for your help.

Its a bad time for this build as Apple haven't reached the current-gen hardware just yet. Tone of LGA1366 support but not sure if any desktop LGA1156 CPU will work just yet until Apple's next product refresh. Same issue with video cards - Apple have been very vocal in buying HD5750s by the metric ton so you can expect drivers soon. But who knows if the same drivers will support HD5770s? :(

Here's a prototype build (including 1080p monitor!) for <€900 shipped...

HWVS080310.png

You'll probably need to add some cooling or change some stuff - I neglected to add a CPU cooler.

I've heard that that CPU/mobo combo works fine in OSX. Sadly there won't be any HD57*0 drivers for it until sometime in the second half of this year so I cheated :P The G210 should be fine in OSX. Oh, and if you want to be naughty you can also do something else we don't condone - a little birdie told me there are drivers out there that can run the G210 for CUDA/PhysX while the HD5770 renders and the CPU, err, processes - while gaming in Windows ;) But we don't condone that kinda thing :P I didn't see any bargain GTX260s, let alone ones with 216 shaders or GTX260+ (55nm) or GTX275 going cheap so it works out cheaper with two GPUs :rolleyes:

Advertisement