Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

measuring the nortbridge temperature

• 08-03-2010 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi all,

I replaced the heatsink of the northbridge by a passive cooling system.
    I would like to know how to measure the temp of the northbridge. I have Everest installed on my PC but they do not seem to show northbridge temps.

Does anybody know hot to measure the northbridge temp?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Touch the cooler, if it feels hot then You know it is

You'll find the board will have a sensor, but the accuracy of these onboard sensors are always bad and be nowhere near the real temp. It can however show You the delta its risen from when idle. Usually the temp that rises the most when running a strenuous ram test like prime95 etc is the northbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pjuegos

thanks PogMoThoin.

I understand there might be an onboard sensor there. How do you read the measured temp by the nortbridge sensor?

If I remember well, nor the BIOS and Everest show that temperature. Everest measures something tagged as "Motherboard" (very generic term) What does that correspond to? Is that the northbridge? Does prime95 show the northbridge temp?

Thanks

pjuegos wrote: »
    thanks PogMoThoin.

I understand there might be an onboard sensor there. How do you read the measured temp by the nortbridge sensor?

If I remember well, nor the BIOS and Everest show that temperature. Everest measures something tagged as "Motherboard" (very generic term) What does that correspond to? Is that the northbridge? Does prime95 show the northbridge temp?

Thanks

What is the mobo model? Some have a sensor, some dont. The "motherboard" sensor shown in everest is more likely to be the southbridge as mobo manufacturers actually more commonly put a sensor at or near to southbridge for some reason. Gigabyte have reasoned this is becasue the southbridge is often blocked by a very hot running graphics card. Go figure!

Someone on xtreme systems did a simple touch test system that is not very accurate but... he measuerd the nb surface temp with a fancy tiny wire thermometer(what are they called?!)with the heatsink attached. He got a reading of 80 odd degrees and then did a touch test on the heatsink. A few others did the same on the same board at the same mch core voltage and all agreed (more or less) that the longest they could touch the heatsink without getting "burned" was 3 seconds. Hope that helps!!

Edit: there is a russian program called something like mchtemp that claims to measure the nb temp but it is hard to find and reports are mixed as to whether it works or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pjuegos

david7536 wrote: »
    What is the mobo model?

It is a Gigabyte GA-EG41MF-S2H, so Everest might be measuring the south bridge as you described.

I will investigate mchtemp.

thanks for your help

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

david7536 wrote: »
    he measuerd the nb surface temp with a fancy tiny wire thermometer(what are they called?!)

Erm... you thinking about a thermocouple sensor? I remember someone rigging and waving one of those around on Xtreme a while back...

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    Erm... you thinking about a thermocouple sensor? I remember someone rigging and waving one of those around on Xtreme a while back...

Thats it exactly, couldnt remember the name!

Advertisement