Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What cameras do you use?

Options
  • 08-03-2010 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi All,

I'm really looking for some good camera advise. I've been checking out most of the shorts listed on this site and over on vimeo.com. is fantastic but uses the Canon 5D which is around 1400 euro plus another 1 or 2 grand each for lenses, ouch!
    I didn't even realise these cameras could record video.

So long story short, what cameras do you guys use for your movies? And what would you recommend? I'd like something HD and to record on a HDD or Memory card. Is this a good idea? After alot of saving I could stretch to the price of a Canon 5D but not if its going to take the same again on lenses to make the grade, so to speak.

The main aim would be to produce a short for consideration to an Irish film festival.

Any advise and links to your own films would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

It's horses for courses really.

HD-SLR's like the 5D mk2 and the 7D are the latest trend doing the rounds but remember, you really need to know what you are doing with those things. They aren't just a point & shoot option and as you say, getting the money together for the body is one thing but you can spend an absolute fortune on glass.

The other thing to remember about using HD-SLR's is recording sound. The picture quality on the 5D Mk2 is fantastic (full frame 35mm) but the sound quality would be not much better than an in built mike on a camcorder and certainly not what you'd want to use at festival level shooting.

HD-SLR's do not have an XLR input for an external mic so you need to have a separate sound set up or, if you are lucky enough to get one, your own sound person. Then you have to sync up the audio & visuals in post.

You don't say what your level of experience with cameras is. Are you experienced? Have you shot before, or will this be your first time to pick up a camera?

For €1500 you should be able to pick up something like a Sony PD150/170, whilst not HD they are very good 3chip mini-DV cameras and perfect for short films.

If your budget can stretch a bit further then there are plenty of HDV cameras on the market or you can go for a Sony EX1 which was, until the HD-SLR's came along, the darling of the indy filmmaking world.

Remember though, buying the camera is only part of the filmmaking process so don't get too wrapped up in what to get, just buy what you can afford and get the best deal for your money. Don't be afraid to consider used equipment, that way you have more of a chance of getting a complete bundle (camera, extra batteries, tripod etc).

The quality of your films will depend much more on the script and the skill of the person behind the camera (how to light & composite a scene well etc) than the actual camera itself.

Like a wise man once said "Anybody can go out and buy a bunch of oil paints, brushes & canvas - but not everybody can paint a masterpiece"

• Registered Users Posts: 44 johnnystork

Many thanks for your lengthy reply, you've given me alot of food for thought.

I am still drawn to the 5/7D cameras and see now the 550D is a cheaper entry level model that seems to hold up well. I understand what your saying about the sound, but tell me would the sony cameras you've mentioned give festival quality sound with an external mic? (Not rhetorical)

The 150/170 are priced reasonably well on ebay :) and I must find some footage on the net of what they can do. The EX1 is still very expensive.

I wouldn't have alot of experience and I'm still kinda lost with all the different types of lenses you can get but I'm a fast learner so I'm sure it will all make sense soon enough :P. Still learning my way round FCP which is class and finally makes proper use of my mac.

I understand what your saying about oil painting, cash doesn't equal class, I just want to get something kinda new that ticks as many boxes as it can and won't need replaced too soon. (Alot to ask I know)

So if anyone has any links to some shorts and can share what its filmed on with some frame rate etc specs that would be great.

Cheers Keefg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I understand what your saying about the sound, but tell me would the sony cameras you've mentioned give festival quality sound with an external mic? (Not rhetorical)

The 150/170 are broadcast quality cameras, but they are video cameras so it will be difficult if you are trying to get the shallow DOF "Film Look" that everyone's squawking about nowadays.

I have never used an HD-SLR so I can't tell you first hand but have a read of Philip Bloom's blog and he explains all the different set ups for most of the Cannon range (including how he records his sound and the equipment he uses).

With a "proper" video camera you will have XLR inputs which allow you to plug in a high quality boom mic directly into the camera. Saves any synch headaches in post.

As for clips, all you need to do is pick out a few cameras that you are interested in then type them into YT or Vimeo and there will be a tonne of test footage on there for you to view.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

The Canon 500D also records HD. But just like keefg said, the sound quality isn't that good on DSLRs.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 johnnystork

Many thanks guys will have a look at what you've mentioned and take it from there.

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement