Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

immersion tank for shower usage

Options
  • 08-03-2010 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Not used to having to use the immersion tank so what is the most economical way to heat the water for shower usage? Is it to leave it on bath all the time as one person told me, their reasoning was that its cheaper to keep the water hot once its hot rather than have to heat it from cold every time. Or would using a timer be a better option? There isnt a timer at present so would have to install one.
    Also i know bath does the whole cylinder but how much does the sink setting do? would it be enough for a shower? The shower in question is a pump shower so does have decent pressure and so would have a high enough flow rate. Can you get timer switches that have the bath\sink option on them too?
    I'm pretty sure that the central heating doesnt heat the immersion tank either which is a bit strange. The immersion tank is one of those foam pre-insulated ones so doesnt have a lagging jacket fitted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Hi,

Really you need to lag the cylinder for starters. Also, need to verify if a thermostat is fitted to the heating element there should be. You can get a timer for the immersion.
    You'll need an electrician if your not competent with electric's. All easily done and you should be able to maintain a good tank of hot water.
    The sink element wouldn't be enough to heat water for a shower. If a thermostat is fitted then it doesn't matter how long the switch is left on for the bath element, as soon as the temp is reached the thermostat will isolate the electricity to the element until the temp drop's below the setpoint of the thermostat. A lagged tank will maintain the water temp once heated.
    Also you need to find out if the central heating is plumbed into or for the hot tank. A bit starnge that it isn't, assuming alot here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

the CH should prob be heating the cylinder.

if its electric water heating with a pre-insulated cylinder you can consider nightsaver

but you should check out the central heating first as it's the preferred
    method

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mcass

Hi
    your tank will be fine without the lagging jacket, the new tanks are pre insulated (foam). the cheapest way to heat your water is with your boiler, your water should heat with the boiler i'd be very surprised if it doesn't.if it doesn't the best way is to use the immersion (on bath)with a timer set with the times to suit. it will have a thermostat , that will regulate the power.if you leave it on all day your bills will be high. the immersion uses alot of power.

Advertisement