Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you *think* you look like?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

Sometimes I feel I look bigger than I am, usually if I'm feeling very bloated but most of the time I just look in the mirror and see what's there, I never ever see myself as slimmer than I am and I am who I am really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭beegirl

Wibbs wrote: »
    Having followed exes around clothes shopping I would put good money the shops already fiddle with women's clothes sizes for the same reason. Say an actual 12 is labelled a 10. No wonder the industry doesnt do measurements in inches or mm. If they did that ruse would be up.

They definitely do this, all of them do!!! And apparently it can be up to two sizes in the difference... Look at this, it is the actual standard for UK sizing:

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/towerhamlets/size.htm

I buy a size 12 in the shops but I am a size 16 according to this standard :eek: Sorry if this freaks people out, I certainly preferred it when I didn't know lol! Ignorance is bliss...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

beegirl wrote: »
    They definitely do this, all of them do!!! And apparently it can be up to two sizes in the difference... Look at this, it is the actual standard for UK sizing:

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/towerhamlets/size.htm

I buy a size 12 in the shops but I am a size 16 according to this standard :eek: Sorry if this freaks people out, I certainly preferred it when I didn't know lol! Ignorance is bliss...

I've had to buy a size 16 jeans because I couldn't find any non skinny type ones that were ok. I find that it varies so much from shop to shop, I can fit into a 12 pants in some shops, and I'm normally a size 12 top. I find that I cannot wear any figure hugging clothes, end up wearing baggy clothes, though tbh I don't really care what size. When it comes to exercise, looking good is only a minute motivation for me, fitness is probably the biggest motivator, though with the exercise comes a nicer figure. Though I can say that I've never looked in the mirror and said that I'm thin!

I can honestly say that I've never been hit on by a fella, never chatted up, which for some can be a confidence denter, but tbh I don't really care the way I look. Tracksuit and hoodies = me - I wore jeans to college about twice, when I wore them the first time, one of my friends was like "oh my God, you have never wore jeans before!" I honestly can't tell you what I think I look like, I am me, the reflection in my own, correct mirror.

Anyway, its not about how you look on the outside or how you think you look like, but how you are on the inside. I don't think women should put themselves down in their head for being bigger, be confident in how you look, there are enough people in the world that will try to dent your confidence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Faith wrote: »
    She's a gorgeous woman, no doubt. But she's considered on the bigger end of the scale when it comes to celebrities. Ever seen Love Actually? "The chubby girl?"

This is the other end of the scale. She's a perfectly healthy weight and has a healthy body fat% yet the media paint her as 'fat' same as they do with Holly Willoughby(although admittedly she seems to have increased body fat since the baby) then they paint people like Kate Moss and similarly ridiclously skinny 'celebrities' as being attractive and healthy, when, in reality, they're not healthy at all. This is what f*cks up womens perceptions of themselves.

The majority of women are much slimmer than they think they are, though, there are a lot who are a lot bigger than they think they are, which isn't good either as they can be putting their health in a lot of danger without even realising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I think Holly Willoughby has an enviable figure - so hourglass and reminiscent of Elizabeth Taylor and all those other 50s screen sirens.

Dudess wrote: »
    I think Holly Willoughby has an enviable figure - so hourglass and reminiscent of Elizabeth Taylor and all those other 50s screen sirens.

Totally agree. She is just stunning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I was in a friend's house this morning, flicking through a magazine.
    Can't remember which one, but it had an article about Holly and how she's become victim to an internet campaign, lead by hundreds of women, who are trying to get her off the airwaves because she's "too fat".
    Apparently, they've been sending her hate mail and blasting the site with vicious comments.

Some of them were actually painful to read ... Going on about her massive thighs and how they stuck together whenever she moved, because she's so fat!

I'm not sure what planet these people live on, but there's no way in Hell she's in any way fat or even overweight.

I feel incredibly sorry for her, being subjected to that sort of criticism and abuse, just because she's in the public eye.

It's a sad reflection on society, reading comments like that about a young woman.

I was in a friend's house this morning, flicking through a magazine.
    Can't remember which one, but it had an article about Holly and how she's become victim to an internet campaign, lead by hundreds of women, who are trying to get her off the airwaves because she's "too fat".
    Apparently, they've been sending her hate mail and blasting the site with vicious comments.

Women can be very vicious. Infact, I think it takes more to impress women than it does to impress men. We are our own worst enemies.

Men love Holly Willoughby and Martine McCutcheon for that matter. Infact, they are two of my husbands faves :mad: :p

(and holly is my no strings!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm pretty sure i do the same as most women - give out about how huge i am! I know i'm probably not as bad as i think i am but we women have warped brains when we look at ourselves in the mirror.

Another poster said that sometimes they feel nice and slim and then they see a picture of themselves at said time and it turns out they aren't as slim as they thought they were - so is it "the camera never lies" or "the camera adds ten pounds"?:D

It's usually the former for me:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think I am way thinner than I am which is a good thing and a bad thing. I don't see a fat girl in the mirror but I am pretty sure alot of people do, thankfully I am dropping all the weight again quite easily so maybe the reality will catch up with what I see.

Lux23 wrote: »
    I think I am way thinner than I am which is a good thing and a bad thing. .

you see I don't see that as a bad thing. I don't want to just be thin, I want to feel thin! I don't care what size I am, I just want to be happy with what I see in the mirror.

Yes but it could also mean I am going around thinking I am fantastic looking when in reality I just am average or worse. It worries me a bit.
    you see I don't see that as a bad thing. I don't want to just be thin, I want to feel thin! I don't care what size I am, I just want to be happy with what I see in the mirror.

But what's wrong with that? Why does it matter if you think you're great looking? Other people's opinions don't matter much at all if you feel great about yourself :)

But what's wrong with that? Why does it matter if you think you're great looking? Other people's opinions don't matter much at all if you feel great about yourself :)

That's true. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

article about Holly and how she's become victim to an internet campaign, lead by hundreds of women, who are trying to get her off the airwaves because she's "too fat".
    Jealousy - it does scary things to people...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

pity bout the nose though,it's the bulb off a dick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

have some cop on smurgen - don't be offensive

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

True, however, if you are quite overweight and your fat levels are above the healthy range your long term health is at risk and surely your health is more important than what you look like or how happy you are with how you look...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Novella wrote: »
    On the mirror front, having worked in retail, shops do buy in mirrors that, well, that lie! I read somewhere in this thread about the mirrors in River Islands fitting rooms being awful. I think the problem is that there are so many mirrors in that tiny little room. You're seeing yourself from every possible angle and it can be a bit, "OH MY GOD, I HAVE A FAT BACK!". If you step out of the fitting room though, there are what are known as 'skinny mirrors'.

Oh dear lord those mirrors are awful! back fat :( /shudder

Yeah, my friends are always oh my god you have such skinny legs, and im like, im sorry have you seen my thighs! :eek:

Yeah, when i was younger as in teens, i was never bothered with my figure (maybe because i was this 8 stone yoke!) but the older i get the more i dislike...weird because you would think it would be the other way around...!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

An ugly bitch :\

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

Looks amazing to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Looks amazing to me.

Are you serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Are you serious?

I think the pic highlights that underweight women can be just as unhappy with their bodies as overweight women are.

Not that I'm saying the GirlofGlass is underweight, I'm just referring to the picture she compared herself to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

G86 wrote: »
    I think the pic highlights that underweight women can be just as unhappy with their bodies as overweight women are.

Not that I'm saying the GirlofGlass is underweight, I'm just referring to the picture she compared herself to.

Think our wires are crossed here G86...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Are you serious?

Well yeah i'd love to look like a fashion model.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Well yeah i'd love to look like a fashion model.

The girl in the picture that GirlofGlass posted looks like she's in the last stages of anorexia. (I hope GoG doesn't take any offence to that, but it is an extreme picture). Wanting to look like that, with all your bones visible, is worrying tbh. There's thin, and then there's that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Faith wrote: »
    The girl in the picture that GirlofGlass posted looks like she's in the last stages of anorexia. (I hope GoG doesn't take any offence to that, but it is an extreme picture). Wanting to look like that, with all your bones visible, is worrying tbh. There's thin, and then there's that.

Totally agree with you! You can be slim with curves and then you can be skin and bones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I'm barely 5 foot. Somedays I feel like a little lumpy dwarf, others I think I look ok. I think it has more to do with the humour I'm in on the day, hormones n all that, more so than what I actually look like. When I'm in **** form I see the dwarf:(.
    Also I definitley dont look the same in photos as i look in the mirror. If I thought i looked like the me in photos I'd shoot myself:p. I console myself by thinking that a photo is just snapping a split second of me and my chin doesn't look like that the whole time . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

^ I'd love to be shorter. I'm about 5'9", which isn't even that tall, but I've always wished I was tiny. Hate being tall. Makes me feel manly.

Advertisement