Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting Range

Options
  • 08-03-2010 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

I would like to shoot with my .223 at a shooting range - it seems that the midlands range in Tullamore is the only option when coming from Louth? And they require that an existing member signs me in. Any existing members out there who culd sign me in, or are there any other options out there? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

I would like to shoot with my .223 at a shooting range - it seems that the midlands range in Tullamore is the only option when coming from Louth? And they require that an existing member signs me in. Any existing members out there who culd sign me in, or are there any other options out there? :confused:

i know the feeling, i live in clonmel and there is no proper range near me either and it costs €500 to join midlands. thats out of reach for me "given the current climate":o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

The initial fee to join Midlands is €500 ish but renewal for an existing member last year was €285, both of which which includes Countryside IFA insurance, so imho is well worth it.

€500 for a year is less than €10 per week and €285 a year is under €6 per week. Packet of cigs/pint of beer costs more than that .................

Distance to travel is more of a factor for me tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

The initial fee to join Midlands is €500 ish but renewal for an existing member last year was €285, both of which which includes Countryside IFA insurance, so imho is well worth it.

€500 for a year is less than €10 per week and €285 a year is under €6 per week. Packet of cigs/pint of beer costs more than that .................

a agree with your breakdown there but try get that one past my missus is another thing .

i would luv to join a range but like i said €500 for a bit of fun once a month if i'm lucky or pay the ESB bill. i know which one i would prefer but i cant put spent brass in the meter ..:o
    dont want to bring anyone down thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    a agree with your breakdown there but try get that one past my missus is another thing .

i would luv to join a range but like i said €500 for a bit of fun once a month if i'm lucky or pay the ESB bill. i know which one i would prefer but i cant put spent brass in the meter ..:o

Feel the pain but only once.

It's the same as joining a Golf Club you pay more the first year to contribute to the facilities already in place.
    My second year at the Midlands now and worth every cent. I have made many friends and as with all clubs it is a social outing each time I go there.

And to add to your pain I think it is €590 for the first year, €280 thereafter.

poulo6.5 wrote: »

I'm there quite a few years now and when I joined there was no "extra" for new members so I suppose I was lucky. I think before this new legislation you could turn up and pay "green fees" as it were which for an occasional user was a great thing.

Now, I think a member can sign you in and you can pay a "green fee" ? Anyone got more info than me ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I'm there quite a few years now and when I joined there was no "extra" for new members so I suppose I was lucky. I think before this new legislation you could turn up and pay "green fees" as it were which for an occasional user was a great thing.

Now, I think a member can sign you in and you can pay a "green fee" ? Anyone got more info than me ?

Member can sign you in, cost of hire for the day is €30. The member has to stay with you at all times.

Is there a limit to the amount of times a non member can attend as a guest ? (I know I should ask at range :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Is there a limit to the amount of times a non member can attend as a guest ? (I know I should ask at range :o)

Not a clue. I've been down a couple of times as a guest. Don't want to push it too far though, so it's very occasional. Will join in time when I've more (and more affordable) centrefires to shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

can anyone tell me why its so expensive to join a club, is it due to insurance,,, if so can you explain why, i.e is the public liabilty that much more for a rifle than a clay club

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

I think its 3 times AFAIK could be wrong also each member is only allowed to sign in guests 3 or 4 times a year something like that and you will need your own insurance.getting back to the OP question give Jim a ring I'm sure he could sort something out there a great bunch at the midlands Ive always found them very helpful also a wealth of knowledge to be gained at the range

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Been a member there for over three years now and I get great use / value out of the place. Guests are only permitted at the weekends which is a pain.
    I usually pop over on Thursdays as the weekends are difficult for me.
    Thursdays / Fridays are fantastic as usually you would have the range to yourself.
    Get down to your local credit union and pay your few bob a week. ( just a thought )
    Have a chat with Jim Griffin, I find him very approachable, I'm sure something can be worked out.

yog1 wrote: »
    can anyone tell me why its so expensive to join a club, is it due to insurance,,, if so can you explain why, i.e is the public liabilty that much more for a rifle than a clay club

I reckon the simple answer to this is that the cost of setting up & maintaining a rifle range is quite expensive compared to a clay range especially with the new regulations and standards.

........Thursdays / Fridays are fantastic as usually you would have the range to yourself.
    Get down to your local credit union and pay your few bob a week. ( just a thought )

+1

I work shifts and Thursday/Friday are often the only days I can get there now :( but as stated it's often nice and quiet :) although I like Saturdays because there's always a decent bunch of lads there and as CliveJ said it's a brilliant social outing too.

It's money well spent and the lads running it always do their best to look after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

The annual fee does not sound too high compared to Courtlough's annual fee of €225 - the initial fee is high. Its a long drive though... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

Just spoke to Jim Griffin at the range - initial membership fee for 2011 is €585 and €285 thereafter. The membership year starts July 1st, i.e. if one would join now, he would have to pay €585 now and €285 again in June...
    Visitors (non-members) only allowed Saturdays and Sundays and an existing member needs to sign you in and stay with you the whole time. :(
    So, any existing members out there who would like to sign me in for a day on some saturday or sunday :rolleyes:

Advertisement