Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat peeing behind TV

Options
  • 08-03-2010 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Havnt posted in awhile here but unfortunately my 8 month old cat is peeing behind our TV now.

As a kitten he would always pee on the floor like a dog and we did our best at trying to train him etc and it lasted for a bit.

But now over the last month or so hes peeing behind our TV and behind a couch. Weird thing is he has ALWAYS done his poos in the litter box?

He is neutered and we have 2 litter boxes for the two cats, the other cat is immaculate.

Besides the solution of locking him away with his litter tray and bed is there any other tips? What about citrus oil behind the TV where he pees would that work?

Any other tips would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I dont' know much about cats, but I do know that washing the area with a solution of biological washing powder will get rid of the ammonia smell that could attract him back to wee there again. Using bleach will only make it worse, as it contains ammonia.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

It might be because the litter boxes are out in the open. Some cats wont use their litter tray if they can be seen. Try putting it out of the way a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I think that if you clean the area with vinegar then it might help, because cats hate the smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

PCros, there are lots of reasons for peeing outside the litter box.

Reasons include territory, nervousness, health e.g. cystitis or urinary tract infection, stress, poor litter hygiene (by the owner, not the cat) and aggression in multi-cat households.

Clean the area he urinates in thoroughly. If you want, see if you can buy or get a loan of a blacklight - turn the lights out, turn the blacklight on, and all traces of pee will show up so you can be certain you've cleaned the area properly. A biological enzyme cleaner is best - not sure if you can buy Biozet in Ireland, but it works really well. As stated, don't use bleach or ammonia because those just encourage the cat to continue to pee in that area. Try blocking his access to the areas behind the couch and the TV.

After eliminating the residual urine, you need to address the reason for the peeing. How does he get on with your other cat? Sometimes peeing in the house can be territorial, so he may be marking out the living area as his space. A way around that may be to provide him with alternate litter trays - so if you have two trays for the two cats in your bathroom, try placing one more in the kitchen and a fourth tray somewhere else that you have an easy-to-wash floor.

Does he ever go outside? If not, do you have stray cats that lurk outside your house, and/or pee near your house? (E.g. have you some feral tomcat peeing up your back door?) The presence of such cats can create tension and anxiety in the household, even if your cats never go outside.

Look, you can try cleaning up thoroughly, providing extra litter trays, and buying things like feliway diffusers and rescue remedy, and changing the environment so the litter trays are in different places and there is less general stress for the cat, but often it's best to take the cat to the vet and just make sure there is no accompanying problem. Male cats can be susceptible to cystitis and various other problems with urinary tracts and bladders, and it's worth ruling those out. Your vet may also have some ideas for you about changing the cat's behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Agreement her re checking her with a vet..

The only time one of our cats did this, and that was just pee as with this on, her kidneys were starting to fail.

Always the same corner all the time.

This winter one of our two started peeing indoors; but she now uses a tray well,, when we put it where she had chosen to pee.

Which is one answer maybe also if she is using the same place all the time.

She also poos outside, never in the tray.
    PCros, there are lots of reasons for peeing outside the litter box.

Reasons include territory, nervousness, health e.g. cystitis or urinary tract infection, stress, poor litter hygiene (by the owner, not the cat) and aggression in multi-cat households.

Clean the area he urinates in thoroughly. If you want, see if you can buy or get a loan of a blacklight - turn the lights out, turn the blacklight on, and all traces of pee will show up so you can be certain you've cleaned the area properly. A biological enzyme cleaner is best - not sure if you can buy Biozet in Ireland, but it works really well. As stated, don't use bleach or ammonia because those just encourage the cat to continue to pee in that area. Try blocking his access to the areas behind the couch and the TV.

After eliminating the residual urine, you need to address the reason for the peeing. How does he get on with your other cat? Sometimes peeing in the house can be territorial, so he may be marking out the living area as his space. A way around that may be to provide him with alternate litter trays - so if you have two trays for the two cats in your bathroom, try placing one more in the kitchen and a fourth tray somewhere else that you have an easy-to-wash floor.

Does he ever go outside? If not, do you have stray cats that lurk outside your house, and/or pee near your house? (E.g. have you some feral tomcat peeing up your back door?) The presence of such cats can create tension and anxiety in the household, even if your cats never go outside.

Look, you can try cleaning up thoroughly, providing extra litter trays, and buying things like feliway diffusers and rescue remedy, and changing the environment so the litter trays are in different places and there is less general stress for the cat, but often it's best to take the cat to the vet and just make sure there is no accompanying problem. Male cats can be susceptible to cystitis and various other problems with urinary tracts and bladders, and it's worth ruling those out. Your vet may also have some ideas for you about changing the cat's behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

My male cat started doing this when we got a kitten last year. We kept cleaning it but he went back again and again. He is terrified of the hoover so I detached the hose part and stuck it in there for a few weeks. This seemed to break the habit as he hasn't been in since.

I suppose it wouldn't really work unless he is afraid of the hoover though. I also have talking podge and rodge dolls that I put places the cats shouldn't be such as warm cosy spots with clean bed linen. They get freaked out by the voices so just placing them in these areas seems to deter them. Once the habit is broken they forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭Heroditas

lubie76 wrote: »
    My male cat started doing this when we got a kitten last year. We kept cleaning it but he went back again and again. He is terrified of the hoover so I detached the hose part and stuck it in there for a few weeks. This seemed to break the habit as he hasn't been in since.

This wouldn't work with our ale cat because the fecker actually enjoys being hoovered at a low setting.
    He positively preens himself when I run the hoover over him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Heroditas wrote: »
    This wouldn't work with our ale cat because the fecker actually enjoys being hoovered at a low setting.
    He positively preens himself when I run the hoover over him

That's hilarious. Both my cats detest the hoover & are really freaked out by it. Don't mind my hairdryer though. :confused:

My kitten is 6mths & she keeps peeing & sometimes poo'ing in the bath as well as her shared tray, despite constant emptying & cleaning. Recently discovered pee on one of the beds :eek:

Some great advice above as well as the advice I already got.

I'm bringing her to be spayed on Friday so I'm going to ask the vet to check for any urinary tract problems to rule that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

the only time my cat did that, he had urinary tract infection. if its not treated and gets worse u would see blood in the urin and he would do it more frequently
    i think you would have noticed that by now so i dont think he is sick. im sure the vet can give you more tips. sounds more like a behaviour problem with an underlying cause

Advertisement