Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog wandered into apartment

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just to ask people to make helpful comments and move on from posts (rather than continue to comment) after a mod has dealt with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Was thinking about this today.

And remembered something I was told when our collie went missing in a storm last year.

A lady nearby had a collie that ran off in a thunderstorm. They asked all round, on web sites etc etc etc. Nothing.

You can imagine the pain; our collie was missing 11 days and I never want to go through that again.

Many months later, someone told her they had seen her dog in someone;s garden.

She of course went round; and there was her dog, in their house. The couple had taken here in and then, even knowng she was being searched for, had simply kept her because they??? Maybe they thought that she must have been neglecting the dog for it to be running loose. And it too would have been scared and hungry etc.

Not so; collies panic in utter terror in thunder. Mine went missing only because I was out when the storm hit and she could not find me. She broke a door down to try. Then vanished for 11 days. Lost in the mountains as this one may be lost in the city. Searching for me and disoriented.

That day was the first time they had let the lady's dog outside.

The lady, seeing the dog was settled, decided to let the dog stay there.

You are a good person; I honestly am sure that unless you make every attempt to actively find the owner, you are not ever going to be truly at ease.

Dogs run off for all kinds of reasons; maybe an accident to the owner, or sudden illness; and someone could have let the dog in thinking that it must belong to someone there if it was near the door. Dogs panic and will search in every place if they have lost their person.

Imagine if the owner was hit by a car and the dog ran off? They may not be able to search or put up posters and may not have a computer etc.

And of course the dog was scared and hungry and thirsty. Does not mean it was abused or neglected or dumped.

Loke that collie.

For your own peace; put up posters etc? Knowing what I went through when the collie was missing.... Ask the local radio station to advertise her.

Tell local vets; they may well know. And the Gardai. They would be the first person the owner would go to.

And if the owner arrives? Then you have done a wonderful thing indeed. I wil never ever forget the day our wee dog heard collie trying to find her way back through a hedge and alerted me so i called her. As I had been calling her every day many times a day. And the utter miracle when she raced in through the door.

A missing dog leaves a great hole in the heart.

Blessings and peace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Graces7 wrote: »
    A missing dog leaves a great hole in the heart.
    You have a lovely way of putting things.

Any update Jimmy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Hey :)

I just happened to be browsing my old threads there today and came across this one, and then noticed it was exactly one year ago today that we found that little dog, and she's still with us. We named her Molly.

We never managed to find the owner, after trying, and so we kept her as she was an absolute joy to have around. Myself and my girlfriend love her to bits, and we're so so glad that we're the people who found her, or that she found us :pac:

I'm sure herself will be along soon with some pics etc (I'm in work so can't pop any up) but I just wanted to update everybody, as it's a nice end to the story, and I'm glad it all worked out well in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smoggy11

As promised!

Some photos of Molly, happy as a clam :) She really is an absolute joy and I feel so lucky she found us.

40049_458656794993_747329993_6402779_5586249_n.jpg
    46026_458660244993_747329993_6402855_5629848_n.jpg

and with our kitten, Oscar a few months back

164516_10150113596714994_747329993_7652135_1630064_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Aah that's lovely:)
    Such a pretty little doggy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Hey :)

I just happened to be browsing my old threads there today and came across this one, and then noticed it was exactly one year ago today that we found that little dog, and she's still with us. We named her Molly.

We never managed to find the owner, after trying, and so we kept her as she was an absolute joy to have around. Myself and my girlfriend love her to bits, and we're so so glad that we're the people who found her, or that she found us :pac:

I'm sure herself will be along soon with some pics etc (I'm in work so can't pop any up) but I just wanted to update everybody, as it's a nice end to the story, and I'm glad it all worked out well in the end.

For you and the missus ye :pac:

For you and the missus ye :pac:

?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

what a stunning little dog,,well done on giving her a home,,she looks mighty happy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Molly is lucky to have found you both :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

what a beautiful dog.... expecially love the couch pic...

fair play to you and the little dog is lucky to have found such a good home :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Did anybody ever return to the apartment she was preoccupied with?
    Just wondering.

Did anybody ever return to the apartment she was preoccupied with?
    Just wondering.

Thanks everyone. We moved since, but we never did find out who lived in that other apartment, if anyone. A little sad, but she's happy now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I love a good ending :)
    I have have been on both ends loosing dogs/cats when I was a child to finding a dog.Tried to trace owner but with no luck. We had her for nearly 8 years!
    I think form reading this old thread your gut told you something wasn't right though it probably didn't come across too well in certain posts and I'm glad Molly found herself a good home :D

Advertisement