Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Letter and Broadband Extreme package

• 08-03-2010 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

Hey all!

Just got a letter the other day from UPC - standard AUP letter - anyways it's a 1st notice and I was just wondering if someone was to breach the AUP again are you immediately upgraded to the Broadband Extreme package without prior notification, or would you get a 2nd letter, or perhaps even a 3rd before this happens?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ruby_Woo wrote: »
    Hey all!

Just got a letter the other day from UPC - standard AUP letter - anyways it's a 1st notice and I was just wondering if someone was to breach the AUP again are you immediately upgraded to the Broadband Extreme package without prior notification, or would you get a 2nd letter, or perhaps even a 3rd before this happens?

As a matter of interest what exactly does the letter say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

How much over the cap do you go, and do you go over often? They might be more lenient if it's a rarity, but if you're constantly over cap, and by a sizable amount, then 1 warning might be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 1580Steve

I got the same letter for February and it states I uploaded/downloaded in excess od 244.64GB in Feb. I questioned this by e-mail and just got a response with a breakdown of weekly usage for Feb and March. It states that of week 13th March I downloaded 58GB which is interesting because we were on holidays in Canaries and Modem/Router & PC was switched off. Just waiting for a reply to that one!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

1580Steve wrote: »
    I got the same letter for February and it states I uploaded/downloaded in excess od 244.64GB in Feb. I questioned this by e-mail and just got a response with a breakdown of weekly usage for Feb and March. It states that of week 13th March I downloaded 58GB which is interesting because we were on holidays in Canaries and Modem/Router & PC was switched off. Just waiting for a reply to that one!!!

Be sure to hold on to all documentation. You're one of the few people who has legal proof that UPC are wrong.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

1580Steve wrote: »

Were the router/modem turned off as well? Got a wireless router? Does it use WEP? UPC are going to ask this kind of thing as well when they attempt to dodge this one.

• Advertisement

Mia is confused now because everything was unplugged all week so I have just sent her the CM MAC number from the modem and will wait to see what happens next. I knew it seemed an impossible amount to download.
    I see there's someone with a similar here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055734717&highlight=broadband

The Doscis 1.0/1.1 system is unsecure, Modem cloning goes on on every Cable BB company worldwide. UPC are no different.

Someone cloning your MAC address is going to directly affect your limit.

So Cisk, what do you recommend? If I get a replacement modem should that solve the problem? The still say the modem is showing usage for the week it was uplugged so I'm sure the problem is not on my end.

Yep, if it is the case, which i would think it is, hearing what you said. Either that or a mix up on there end.

You would need a new modem, which will have a new MAC address and see if the usage is more normal ove the next month.

Thanks Cisk, I have sent an e-mail back suggesting that the modem be replaced to see if anything changes but probably won't hear anything back till tomorrow. The current Mac number matches what they have so they are trying to say that they run their reports Monday to Monday and if I turned everything on at 2.00am Sunday morning (the time I got back from the airport) that there was 28GB downloaded between that time and the time they ran the report on the Monday. The previous week the usage was 58GB.

Spear I do use a wireless router with WEP, (which I haven't mentioned) but everything was plugged out from the mains so it shouldn't make any difference.

Will see what happens tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Well they'll be able check and reference say for a month ago your mac address and what routing it would take locally for ip traffic then at the supposed time it was turned off they can reference what routing that took.

So a month ago it should look like...

A (your modem mac) ---- B (local area router #blah blah blah)
    to CMTS

If part B has exact same routing to the same equipment in the area they can then verify that the mac was not cloned , was on and was in the listed address as it too the exact same routing path to the network as it always had done.

If it requested a different route from an unknown location to that locations local equipment they can find the modems location from that making it impossible to get away with modem mac cloning unless you cloned a mac with the intent of never entering it onto their network again which would defeat the purpose.

All cable operators would work like this so should be interesting to see.
    As occams razor will tell us the simplest explication probably being the right one..... you didnt leave anyone like a teen at home? Anyone have any keys that were to call round and check on the house for ye? ..... maybe have decided to dload a few torrents on your cap instead of theirs etc. Also wouldnt you have received a 1st warning letter before any change?

Hightower, thanks for your coment, it's a bit technical for me but I will pursue it with UPC today. There was nobody left in the house and a friend was keeping an eye on the house but knows nothing about torrents and wouldn't have turned everything on anyway.

I must request reports for earlier weeks as I'm downloading nothing more now than I have been in the past, so why I got this letter I don't know.

What about usage monitors for my modem, is there something I can download to monitor things myself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can get usage monitors for your computer, but not something you can run on the modem. You could try Netmeter or DUmeter, or Google search for more.

Cheers I will have a look. They are adamant that it's to do with my wireless security which I have now changed and they will monitor itr for the week to see if there is any change. If the usage is high next week, I don't know whats causing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Any update for us?

I got an e-mail this morning and my usage fot the last week was 6GB, this sounds about right to me so will have to keep an eye on it!

Advertisement