Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai i30 short review

• 08-03-2010 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Had one as a rental car at the weekend, 1.4 basic spec

first impression ...looks good enough, good amount of space all round (I can sit comfortably in the back even when the drivers seat is set up for my 6ft frame), seems solid and well put together.

trim/spec ...pretty basic on this model. No electric mirrors, no foglights ...but ESP. Interior plastics seem alright. Nothing to write home about, but nothing that would put you off either. Horrrible, horrible, disgusting hard plastic steering wheel though ...a real turn-off after a while.
    All switches fall to hand easily and are pretty self-explanatory. Instruments look good, with blue light at night.

driving ...with just me aboard the 1.4 is surprisingly swift and offers good acceleration (for a 1.4) in the 80 - 120 km/h range. Can hold its own on the motorway and while accelerating off ramps or out of lay-bys. The engine does drone on a bit at 120 km/h though @ just under 4000 rpm in fifth ..it actually gets a bit quieter if you speed up a bit.

suspension ...feels solid if a bit crashy over bad roads but fairly comfortable and not too wallowy either.

visibility ...good enough while driving, no major blind spots but terrible for parking, no idea where the car ends at all

steering ...another let-down. Steering seems almost locked in the centre position and after you sort of "break" it out of the centre position it is limp, far too light and without feedback. You find yourself steering by sight rather than by feel and in long bends you actually end up correcting several times. It's more like driving a fairground type simulator than an actual car.

Would I buy one?
    Well, it's not my type of car in the first place ...but if I had to buy a sizeable, cheap family hatchback, I would only consider the i30 if my driving involved very little distance driving over bendy country roads because of the lifeless steering ...that lets the whole car down something terrible.
    Shouldn't be an issue around town though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Girlfriend has an early 08 1.6 deisel 90pbh with the sports skirts.
    all elec, elec folding mirrors, fogs etc.

Nice to drive but agree with peasant bout the steering, I thinks its weird every time I drive it. good bit of pull in the engine, hard to get it back into first while still moving we've both found.
    Annoyingly it has a green light on dash when dipped headlights are on, this really bugged me. Never seen this on any other car I've driven.

She got a letter from Hyundai the other day offering to change it for a brand new one for 6k, interesting proposal.

Advertisement