Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you marry for money?

• 08-03-2010 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

So say you had this partner, whome was "grand", he/she ticked the boxes but wouldn't be the most exciting, best looking, funniest partner you've ever had.

But said person had money and you knew that if you were to marry this person, you wouldn't need to worry about money for the rest of your life.

So, would you?

I don't think i would, but it would deffiently be something i'd consider when i was thinking of it. I asked one of the girls here in the office, and she said she would.. without doubt. (Niceee)

Would you marry for money? 190 votes

Hell Yes (I'm Male)
    0% 0 votes
    Hell No (I'm Male)
    45% 86 votes
    Hell Yes (I'm Female)
    46% 88 votes
    Hell No (I'm Female)
    8% 16 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

depends, how soon will they die?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Not a hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

SV wrote: »

Let's say, they were going to outlive you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I asked one of the girls here in the office, and she said she would.. without doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Yes. Yes I would.

I'm free this Saturday Gone Drinking. Make sure you make it to the church on time, okay?

And I want cash, no cheques.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Scarydoll

SV wrote: »

Yes, how old are we talking about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Scarydoll

Ah feck it yea I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ah why not, sure in this modern world marriage is only a tax status

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

If she was hot and let me sleep with whoever I want then, yeah, I suppose so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

No,wouldn't be worth it. I couldn't stay with someone just cos of their money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I asked one of the girls here in the office, and she said she would.. without doubt. (Niceee)

Did you ask her if she'd have a plan B when she hits 40 and he starts boning his PA?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Yeah, why not, the marriage would only last as long as I was willing to let it, but a few years of comfort would be worth it.

nah, if they had about 5-10 years left in em though... ;)

stovelid wrote: »
    Did you ask her if she'd have a plan B when she hits 40 and he starts boning his PA?

I didn't go into the specifics of it, i just called her a slag and walked back to my desk.

I'm kidding :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Green Gooner

is it more acceptable for a female? Certainly many more of that sex seems to marry for the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Interesting thread...easy to spot the mature posters.

No, I wouldn't marry for money.

is it more acceptable for a female? Certainly many more of that sex seems to marry for the money

I don't think there's an acceptable, or unacceptable.. its someones choice, they can do as they wish really.

Weather or not its correct in the eyes of another, i'd imagine the type of person that thinks its wrong would think so in either case of male or female.

TheZohan wrote: »

lol. yes, sly little digs..now that's really mature ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Hell yes, and then I'd divorce him for even more!

Mwahaha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

TheZohan wrote: »

It's also easy to spot the immature posters :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I bet there are a load of miserable bastards around now, the ones who married for money before their rich spouses went bust in the recession. That'll teach em.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I'd marry for cash, assuming that she was very careless crossing the road, a Winter Olympic luge skiier, and an alcoholic trawler crewmember.

but otherwise, not a hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Nope, i make my own money. Dont need to sponge off anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'd marry for cash, assuming that she was very careless crossing the road, a Winter Olympic luge skiier, and an alcoholic trawler crewmember.

but otherwise, not a hope.

You may want to do a full financial background check (and a gender test) when this little angel catches your eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

It's a really tough question. For me a life of idleness is very desirable, but a life where a significant relationship like that was for the most part meaningless probably wouldn't be so good either.

I don't like how people hold work up so high. It's one thing to say "oh I like money so I'm going to work" it's quite another to be all "working is good!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Hell no, what a meaningless and empty life you'd lead if you did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

God no, I'd rather have sweet f.a. and be truly in love than with someone I wasn't crazy about just because of bloody finance. What a sad existance for both involved. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

You can't take a mansion to the beach though.

• Advertisement

This poll needs an oppurtunity cost to factor in.

If I had a choice between living with the love of my life in a caravan or second best in a mansion, I'd go with the latter.

Is that immature? No. It's a mansion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

No.....unless she kept herself looking unbelieveable hot with surgery!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Nope. Can't stand the idea of being a "kept person" under any circumstances, so all the things money could buy would just feel spoiled to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

LMAO @ the obvious feminism-conscious female respondant answer ratio in this poll. Two words: My arse.

(Although boards.ie doesn't exactly provide an accurate sample of typical female opinion...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

consultech wrote: »
    LMAO @ the obvious feminism-conscious female respondant answer ratio in this poll. Two words: My arse.

(Although boards.ie doesn't exactly provide an accurate sample of typical female opinion...)
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

In a situation like that- someone will always get hurt.

Personally, I wouldn't trade my poor hubby for all the money in the world and a husband I didn't love. I'd rather die laughing without a penny in my pocket than live a bleh life where I wasn't happy at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I wouldn't marry in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PostHack

Depends on the amount of money.... Surprised no one has mentioned that.

If we're talking multi millionaire than quite possibly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

No way. I can make my own cash. Never can see a need to be with someone for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Yes, definitely. I'm bitter and twisted and don't believe in true love. If I'm gonna go through the whole tedious ritual of getting married I might aswell make a few euros out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Nope. But I'd say a few would be wondering what would happen if she was to die... early?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I would have a couple of conditions, such as:
    • in the same age range as me;
    • sane
    • pre-nup must be absent or heavily biased in my favour. :pac:
    Otherwise... I'm a flexible, adaptable guy, I think. I could get used to many things, and keep to myself for the rest. Love isn't just something you feel, it's something you do.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Love > Money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

No, nay, never. Marriage isn't a word, it's a sentence. And think of the poor shnook you're marrying - every other suitor he or she meets could be nothing more than a worthless gold-digger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

bronte wrote: »
    God no, I'd rather have sweet f.a. and be truly in love than with someone I wasn't crazy about just because of bloody finance. What a sad existance for both involved. :(
    Amen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Well if they ticked all the right boxes and you had never been in love, and it looked like you would both make each ither happy, and she was loaded (!) then I think that I might

I'm a little cynical anyway, I think love turns into dependency in most marriages anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

And with such a high rate of male 'yes' answers... we're the bitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Yes I would , followed by me boning her good looking 18 year old daughter from a previous marriage which precipitates divorce action where I get a shed load of money and then move to the Bahamas with my true love Megan Fox where we get married on a sun kissed tropical beach.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sigh... Ya can't win...

I can categorically state: if I was on minimum wage and struggling, I wouldn't marry for money. I'm more interested in things like the kind of person he is, and actually wanting to be with him for HIM rather than his bank account.
    But the above is obviously not possible and a bunch of lies because I'm a woman, therefore a gold-digging bitch.

Why do you hold your shit experiences of women against all women just because they all possess a vadge? Maybe you should stop going for bitches too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

well i don't ever want to get married so no.

but if i did, i still wouldn't marry for money, i'd kill them in the end.

my aunty is always sayin to my cousins (the girls) that they should find a rich man. sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Poll is missing a couple of options

"Yes (Im a prostitute)"
    "No but Id marry for citizenship!"

• Advertisement
Advertisement