Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent TSB Visa Debit

Options
  • 08-03-2010 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

Just to let the people from Halifax or elsewhere who want to know the switch over, the date is set for Q3. With the estimated date being late August or early September.

Bit of a pain considering it's probably best to switch from Halifax sooner rather than later. I guess it'll have to be Ulster Bank for now. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

A little bit too late. All will have changed to a new bank. Halifax are closing the beginning of summer. I dont fancy the hassle of moving again at the end of summer. Add to that there will be the usual 'working out the bugs' at the start.

It will be interesting to see if boi and aib will follow.. I doubt it happen anytime soon thou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭jaceq

heh, PTSB will loose on this big time, if they would have that card on offer I would consider them myself (and plenty ex-halifax customers), however I already signed up to Ulster Bank.

btw. I think that Ulster Bank is the big winner of this whole situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I'm already with PTSB so I'd sign up. I thought about signing up with Halifax about a year ago because they offered a Visa debit but I couldn't be bothered but I figured if my own bank offered the card, I'd go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Would love to know the numbers, but definitely this is a huge coup for U;ster Bank. I think they will take at minimum 75% of the Halifax current account portfolio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 SophieX

I've recently opened a PTSB current account and can say no visa debit is a negative. I asked for a laser card and was told I'd have to go through the same critera as applying for a visa or mastercard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

I've recently opened an Ulster Bank current account. The phone people were useless, and almost put me off. The guy in my local branch was more than helpful. He was professional, friendly, and accommodating. Got my account number that day in branch, and got the VISA DEBIT card 3 or 4 days later, and the pin code 2 days after that. Excellent start.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭almalahide

I dont think that the other banks understand or care that Halifax customers cant go back to laser card after being used to it. Thats why UB is the only one for me. As soon as other banks offer it ill shop around again. Ive had mixed experiences with them in three weeks and ive never had one bad one with Halifax.

I saw a sign saying 'Ask us about our current account Halifax customers' in PTSB, so I asked about a timeline for Visa Debit but I dont think she really understood what one was. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

What's the difference between Visa Debit and Visa Electron?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Visa Electron requires "online authorisation" (i.e funds are checked for every purchase, electronically). This is why it's generally found associated with basic bank accounts, or accounts for teens etc.

Visa Debit doesn't necessarily do that check every tme (though it can be set by the bank to do it) and will sometimes be approved without contacting your bank. Visa Debit also have raised numbers, which means they can be used in old style manual imprint devices if all else fails. Electron cards don't have this (because they're for electronic use only) so cannot be used in such a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

Just rang PTSB to cancel my ATM card as I lost it, student account so no laser. I was told my replacnent card would be a visa debit. then he said, sorry only laser cards are being replaced with visa debit. PTSB are now offering visa debit to students, wounder will my replacement be a visa debit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Balls. All cards are being replaced with the visa debit card. The roll out is taking months tho. If u order a new card they can only issue the new visa debit card now on their systems. Will be looking to replace my laser 2moro.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

greenman09 wrote: »
    Balls. All cards are being replaced with the visa debit card. The roll out is taking months tho. If u order a new card they can only issue the new visa debit card now on their systems. Will be looking to replace my laser 2moro.

Can i ask why you want the laser over the visa debit?

Davy wrote: »
    Can i ask why you want the laser over the visa debit?

you read me wrong all cards are to be replace by the visa debit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

PTSB replaced my student ATM card with a VISA debit card, got it to day. used it online, works well :)

I just got my PTSB Visa debit today. I am most happy to be rid of Laser, good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

got mine a couple of days ago aswell ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Just back from hols and got this in the post (existing ptsb customer). Is there much difference between this and a regular credit card?

Edit: Ah, scratch that. All the info's on the interweb: https://www.permanenttsb.ie/whatweoffer/currentaccounts/bankcardsguide/visa-debit-card/

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

I got mine last week..
    I have been refused to take cashback in 2 places so far, Supervalu @ Talbot street and one restaurang.

:(

Have u guys similar experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Whats the story with this? I went into PTSB on Tuesday to apply for a Laser card and the person said these were in the process of being sent out? Im still getting a Laser card sent out but they said something like I would be getting one of these anyway? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

They're being introduced on a phased basis. I would have thought all new accounts would get one automatically, but maybe not.
    I have been refused to take cashback in 2 places so far, Supervalu @ Talbot street and one restaurang.

Happened quite a bit when Halifax and Ulster introduced their Visa Debit cards. Retailers systems need updates to recognise it's a debit card etc - some are better than others at updating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Trampas

I presume we wont be hit by the gov tax on the visa debit card after having a laser card

You'll only get charged the 5e gov stamp duty for the card. 2.50 for atm and 2.50 for using as a debit card. And this is in and this is in jan for the yr before. No extra. As for gettin a laser sent out, the only card that gets issued now is a visa debit. The laser order facility has been removed from the system. Visa debit with all new accounts as of mid last months.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I got mine yesterday.

I like the colours and design of it! :D

Now that I think of it, I don't remember being asked about cash back the few times I've used my new Visa debit card but I usually never go for cash back anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Smaller retailers will probably take a while to figure or that they're not credit cards.

I wonder will AIB or BOI switch over too?

I would say having PTSB on board will increase recognition big time. People always viewed Halifax debit cards as a bit "foreign and exotic"

There really doesn't seem to be much advantage to laser. I'm not really sure why the banks are hanging on to it.

Also, Id assume Visa Debit probably has access to more cutting edge technology than Laser as it is backed by such a vast payment brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You can register the card, and spend with it using paypal. Not sure what you mean by load

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Still waiting on my new cards :(
    Got a letter around start of the summer saying I had to use the card on one of my accounts within a certain time for it to be replaced (card is never used)

They've already closed my current branch, if they don't hurry up with this I'll end up moving. Probably be faster if reported my cards missing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Paula60

I got my new visa debit card recently and presumed it was the same as my atm card. I was wrong. It can go well over your bank balance. Permanenttsb has been charging me 5 to 15 euros (referral fees) At this stage my referral fees have added up to about 150 euors. I for one am going to sort it out and hand it right back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement