Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent TSB Visa Debit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Are the fees from using at the ATM? Are in shop transactions charged too? Still no sign of a VisaD or Laser now two weeks later.. won't be long until I'm cought out at a late night petrol station with an Out of Service ATM again.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Paula60

No. I spend more than I had in my account. I didn't think I could do that. I presumed it was just like a atm card. That it would be declined in I didnt have the funds to meet a transaction. Its very hard to follow online as well. If you buy something in a shop using your visa debit, it might take three or more days to show in your balance. I have to budget, so its not good for me. What I am wondering is, can you get a atm card again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Someone I know recently got his Visa Direct card as a replacement for a Laser.

He is now having a problem with an car insurance broker in Donegal who is adding a 2% transaction fee to his premium. They say it's their policy to do this with a Visa card. When asked what the difference was between a Laser and Visa Debit card they couldn't say.

He has contacted the bank and they have said the transaction fee only applies to credit cards, the bank has contacted the broker but it's like talking to a brick wall it appears.

Anyone have similar problems?

Who to make a complaint to other than the bank, the Consumer Association, Banking Ombudsman?

This week alone I've been charged 50e in referral fees. This card is just like a credit card. Even a credit card wouldn't charge this amount if you go over the limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Paula60 wrote: »
    This week alone I've been charged 50e in referral fees. This card is just like a credit card. Even a credit card wouldn't charge this amount if you go over the limit.

What are Referral fees?
    Are you been charged this because you have no funds in your account as you said previous?

• Advertisement

anyone know if AIB are planning on bringing out the same card/debit visa ?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

Easily solved.....Dont go over you Limit Duhhhh

Yes. But I didn't know I could go over my limit. This was not explained to me. I thought it was the same as my atm card but with an option to buy online and in the shops.

derra_121 wrote: »
    Easily solved.....Dont go over you Limit Duhhhh
    That not the point - This should have been explained with the card was given to me.

That not the point - This should have been explained with the card was given to me.

Did the card not arrive with a massive booklet or T&C? I would be very surprised if it didn't!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Actually it is the point, spending money you don't have is never free. There has to be some 'give' with a limit because, IME, there will be stuff that takes a few days to surface on an account so 'Cardholder Caution' should be exercised...obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I emailed aib yesterday and asked if they had any plans to introduce a visa debit card in the future and this is what i got back.
    Dear Squared

Thank you for your mail.
    AIB do not currently offer the Visa Debit card as we continue to issue our customers with the Laser/Maestro card. Thank you for your feedback.

If I can be of any further assistance please contact me.

Kind Regards
    AIB CCC Customer Support

A very generic answer and definetly not promising. I'd move to PTSB tommorow if it wasn't so much hassle. :(

squared wrote: »
    I emailed aib yesterday and asked if they had any plans to introduce a visa debit card in the future and this is what i got back.

A very generic answer and definetly not promising. I'd move to PTSB tommorow if it wasn't so much hassle. :(

Thinking the same........ Is it much hassle?

personally I think I'll move to ulster bank - Im hearing great thing about them. Also, they don't have the Irish-bank-culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

personally I think I'll move to ulster bank - Im hearing great thing about them. Also, they don't have the Irish-bank-culture.

:rolleyes:

Aren't you so smart. I just love people like you

permanent tsb are charging 5e referral fee if you go over your visa debit card. So if you buy a bag of coal costing 8e and and you've gone over your balance.Permanent tsb will charge you 5e to 15e referral fees. The are robbers. Just white collared money leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

permanent tsb are charging 5e referral fee if you go over your visa debit card. So if you buy a bag of coal costing 8e and and you've gone over your balance.Permanent tsb will charge you 5e to 15e referral fees. The are robbers. Just white collared money leaders.

Don't go over your balance. Simple. You should know what's in your account before you go and try to buy something. It's a debit card, not a credit card!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ah jesus give it up will ya. All banks do this. Stop going over your limit it's not rocket science.

Im guessing she's the same type of person that would be on here going nuts if it had a limit and embarrassed her in a shop too. You can't please some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 boshea19

Im guessing she's the same type of person that would be on here going nuts if it had a limit and embarrassed her in a shop too. You can't please some people.

Totally agree with you. People like her spend their days at home thinking of things to complain about! Of course they will charge you a fee! Your spending money that isnt yours! Permo are not a charity they are a bank!!! Get over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

one thing to watch out for when you use the debit card online is their new verified by visa thing...it pre-authorises $1 every time.. I used it to get 20euro vodafone credit and saw a balance of 20.87 outstanding transactions on my statement.(

I did a quick search online and found out that the 87cent was roughly 1dollar....luckily i had an overdraft as the account had only 20euro in it waiting for payday!!! i would have been charged the 5euro referral fee otherwise..

you do seemingly never get debited the 1dollar though its only a preauthorisation but still need to have it in your account in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Permo are not a charity they are a bank!!! Get over it!

And a good one at that! Love my Visa Debit Card. :)
    Wonder when the rest of them will follow PTSB?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

i got mine "freezed" on monday.
    I bought couple of items from Amazon.co.uk, and next day when i tried to withdraw cash from atm, i was told that bank is not approving the withdrawal.
    Contacted Ptsb and they told me that my Visa Debit card was freezed because of suspicious purchases abroad.. I bought 2 items worth 20 eur total from Amazon.. Ofcourse they opened my card directly when i called them, i really appreciate that they "protect"consumers from card frauds, but please call them first...
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

finnteme wrote: »
    i got mine "freezed" on monday.
    I bought couple of items from Amazon.co.uk, and next day when i tried to withdraw cash from atm, i was told that bank is not approving the withdrawal.
    Contacted Ptsb and they told me that my Visa Debit card was freezed because of suspicious purchases abroad.. I bought 2 items worth 20 eur total from Amazon.. Ofcourse they opened my card directly when i called them, i really appreciate that they "protect"consumers from card frauds, but please call them first...
    :)

Normally 2 smallish subsequent transactions would highlight fraudelent transactions so they block someone's card as a precaution. The same would happen on a credit card. It's definitely a good thing. It wouldn't happen in a shop with a chip and pin transaction so at least there would be no embarrasment.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Normally 2 smallish subsequent transactions would highlight fraudelent transactions so they block someone's card as a precaution. The same would happen on a credit card. It's definitely a good thing. It wouldn't happen in a shop with a chip and pin transaction so at least there would be no embarrasment.

Yeah, definetly this is a good thing, i was with Halifax earlier, and i made similar purchases to US, and almost immediatly i got an phone call from them, and they just want to confirm if i was making those purchases, that was good service!

Oh for god's sake just don't go over your limit. You have caused this problem not them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

amdublin wrote: »
    Oh for god's sake just don't go over your limit. You have caused this problem not them.

agreed. Too many ppl are quick to blame the banks when they mess it for themselves.

When I got my visa debit card I was not told I'd be charged 5 or 15 euros referral fees if I went over my limit. I use my card everyday its very hard to keep account of exactly what Ive left in bank. .

• Advertisement

When I got my visa debit card I was not told I'd be charged 5 or 15 euros referral fees if I went over my limit. I use my card everyday its very hard to keep account of exactly what Ive left in bank. .

They did tell you - have you read the terms and conditions?

Alot of people use their card every day.

It's actually easy to keep account of what you've left in your bank: you start with what you have (ie your current balance) and then continue minusing off your purchases/withdrawals until you have no money left.

What is so difficult about you looking after your finances rather than expecting your bank to???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement